Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Your opinion please?  (Read 3088 times)

Offline Kimchoc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Your opinion please?
« on: August 17, 2009, 06:42:28 PM »
I've been following you guys for several months now. I do a bit of video and audio tapong for a hobby. Nothing stealth like you guys. I have a ZOOM H2 that I have been impressed with and made some good recordings. You are absolutely correct when you guys say mic location is the key.
Anyway, i decided to do some beginner experimenting with some small mics. Could you guys give me an opinion of these specs? My use is for small, easy to setup stereo recording for video camera and simple quick setup for audio recording into a digital recorder other than the Zoom.
These were cheap and I thought that for beginning, I could practice my soldering and mounting skills with them. If you can suggest the next step, please do so.

Specs:

Lot of 10 new high-quality 6 mm x 2.2 mm back-electret condenser microphones (ECMs).

The units come complete with 40 mm (1.5 inch) color-coded leads. They deliver crisp, clear audio in a miniature package, without the need for any tricky soldering.

Specifications:

* Model: Jeou Luen JL-6022C
    * Dimensions: 6.0 mm x 2.2 mm (W x H)
    * Sensitivity: -44 dB +/- 3 dB
    * Output impedance: <2.2 kΩ
    * Directivity: Omnidirectional
    * Current consumption: <500 µA
    * Frequency response: 20-20000 Hz
    * Signal to noise ratio: >60 dB
    * Nominal operation voltage: 2V
    * Max operation voltage: 10V
    * Meets or exceeds RoHS standards (i.e., the microphone is free of hazardous substances, such as lead).
    * Wire leads have skinned and tinned ends, ready for soldering.

Thanks,

Gary B.

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Don't sweat the technique
Re: Your opinion please?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 08:46:11 PM »
I have never heard of these microphones, but at a guess, I would say that they are generic Chinese microphones that perform nowhere near the published specs.  I know that a lot of video tapers use Rode microphones; you may want to take a look at those.  I don't video tape, but I have used both Core Sound and Sonic Studios omnidirectional microphones with good results.  Both are very small and deliver excellent sound when used in the right environment.  Chris Church also makes a very good small stealth microphone with his Church Audio line.  You should probably investigate those offerings and judge for yourself what you want to go with.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 10:04:32 PM »
I've been following you guys for several months now. I do a bit of video and audio tapong for a hobby. Nothing stealth like you guys. I have a ZOOM H2 that I have been impressed with and made some good recordings. You are absolutely correct when you guys say mic location is the key.
Anyway, i decided to do some beginner experimenting with some small mics. Could you guys give me an opinion of these specs? My use is for small, easy to setup stereo recording for video camera and simple quick setup for audio recording into a digital recorder other than the Zoom.
These were cheap and I thought that for beginning, I could practice my soldering and mounting skills with them. If you can suggest the next step, please do so.

Specs:

Lot of 10 new high-quality 6 mm x 2.2 mm back-electret condenser microphones (ECMs).

The units come complete with 40 mm (1.5 inch) color-coded leads. They deliver crisp, clear audio in a miniature package, without the need for any tricky soldering.

Specifications:

* Model: Jeou Luen JL-6022C
    * Dimensions: 6.0 mm x 2.2 mm (W x H)
    * Sensitivity: -44 dB +/- 3 dB
    * Output impedance: <2.2 kΩ
    * Directivity: Omnidirectional
    * Current consumption: <500 µA
    * Frequency response: 20-20000 Hz
    * Signal to noise ratio: >60 dB
    * Nominal operation voltage: 2V
    * Max operation voltage: 10V
    * Meets or exceeds RoHS standards (i.e., the microphone is free of hazardous substances, such as lead).
    * Wire leads have skinned and tinned ends, ready for soldering.

Thanks,

Gary B.

Hi Gary welcome aboard..

I think the main problem with ecm's like this is they are of unknown quality. I think its also hard to say what kind of level these mics can handle. And if its not much then some very tricky soldering will be necessary to modify them. Even with out mods its best to solder a shielded cable right to the back of the capsule because of the noise that can get picked up by the unshielded leads. If I was going to use these capsules you can get brass tubing from the hobby store and simply build the mics into the tube. And fill it all up with epoxy.

good luck and let me know if you need any help  putting it together.

Chris
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 10:56:19 AM by Church-Audio »
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline Jerry Gash

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 10:26:55 PM »
I have never heard of these microphones, but at a guess, I would say that they are generic Chinese microphones that perform nowhere near the published specs.  I know that a lot of video tapers use Rode microphones; you may want to take a look at those.  I don't video tape, but I have used both Core Sound and Sonic Studios omnidirectional microphones with good results.  Both are very small and deliver excellent sound when used in the right environment.  Chris Church also makes a very good small stealth microphone with his Church Audio line.  You should probably investigate those offerings and judge for yourself what you want to go with.

I own a Rode Videomic (mono shotgun) as well as the Rode Stereo Video Mic, neither of these mics handle high SPL's well at all, no matter how low you set the input level on them the bass will still clip.  I ended up getting a Zoom H4N and am looking into getting some of Chris Church's CA-14's.

(2) Canon HV20, Jag35Pro, Shrigg Rig, Rode SVM, Rode VM, Zoom H4N, Bogen 3052, Bogen 701HDV Head

Offline Kimchoc

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009, 09:21:56 AM »
I appreciate the advice of the Rode but I am aware of that road. :)

I have plenty of mics for professional use, they just happen to be physically large to carry in my pocket. I like my H2 and would like a similar version that is just the mics and I suppose the battery kit(I've seen the Church products).
Small is the desire. Quick to connect into the video camera is the desire. On the fly is the desire. Capability to quickly hook up to digital recorder is the desire.

My intent was to start with something as cheap as this in order to learn the soldering/building techniques BEFORE spending finances on the better miniature mics. My question was intended for opinions as IF these specs were to believed. I actually don't care if they are in reality. I am simply in the learning mode. The price was right.
I have a fair grip on the frequency response but don't know the other values. If there was something sticking out at you guys I'd appreciate the advice.

Once I have decided on a mounting, tubing, battery holder technique, I would look at better mics and emulate what you folks are using. These are just for the incident when i get the soldering iron too hot. :)

Thanks for the replies.

GLB

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2009, 10:12:15 AM »
I appreciate the advice of the Rode but I am aware of that road. :)

I have plenty of mics for professional use, they just happen to be physically large to carry in my pocket. I like my H2 and would like a similar version that is just the mics and I suppose the battery kit(I've seen the Church products).
Small is the desire. Quick to connect into the video camera is the desire. On the fly is the desire. Capability to quickly hook up to digital recorder is the desire.

My intent was to start with something as cheap as this in order to learn the soldering/building techniques BEFORE spending finances on the better miniature mics. My question was intended for opinions as IF these specs were to believed. I actually don't care if they are in reality. I am simply in the learning mode. The price was right.
I have a fair grip on the frequency response but don't know the other values. If there was something sticking out at you guys I'd appreciate the advice.

Once I have decided on a mounting, tubing, battery holder technique, I would look at better mics and emulate what you folks are using. These are just for the incident when i get the soldering iron too hot. :)

Thanks for the replies.

GLB
One of the biggest things sticking out is the lack of a distortion figure in the specs. We dont know how much Max spl these mics will handle and simply throwing more voltage at the problem will not solve it. I would say buy the capsules and prepare to be happy or disappointed looking at these specs tells you nothing about the "real world" performance.

for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline Kimchoc

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2009, 11:12:29 AM »
Thanks again. I have been looking at tour CA mics and they are probably what I'll end up with down the road. I've read a bit about them on this forum.

If you guys can understand the concept of us DIY's, and I think you do, I like to build things out of nothing. This will be a good project to get my hands wet. I don't think its ever a loss if you learn something.
Once in awhile I run across something that appears not to be worth anything then turns out to be a gem. There's this old Realistic hand-held mic that keeps popping up on Ebay that is outstanding. I buy every one that I see. Dont know the specs, dont care. They just sound awesome. And I think that was on recommendation from one of these type forums. "Just buy one" the guy said.
I thought I might get lucky with one of the ones I mentioned in my first post.

Mr. Church, can you suggest one of your battery kits that would help power a mic setup like I am building? Could I go wrong with these mics, and the battery pack you recco for your CA's? I wont try my hand at circuitry. I'll leave that to you.

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2009, 02:20:47 PM »
Thanks again. I have been looking at tour CA mics and they are probably what I'll end up with down the road. I've read a bit about them on this forum.

If you guys can understand the concept of us DIY's, and I think you do, I like to build things out of nothing. This will be a good project to get my hands wet. I don't think its ever a loss if you learn something.
Once in awhile I run across something that appears not to be worth anything then turns out to be a gem. There's this old Realistic hand-held mic that keeps popping up on Ebay that is outstanding. I buy every one that I see. Dont know the specs, dont care. They just sound awesome. And I think that was on recommendation from one of these type forums. "Just buy one" the guy said.
I thought I might get lucky with one of the ones I mentioned in my first post.

Mr. Church, can you suggest one of your battery kits that would help power a mic setup like I am building? Could I go wrong with these mics, and the battery pack you recco for your CA's? I wont try my hand at circuitry. I'll leave that to you.

If you want "hassle free" get the Church Audio mics.  Very economical still, compared to the other options.  And you'll always have a working rig, if you need it.

If you want to build the mics, I suggest you go over to the Yahoo group called "micbuilders".

Oh yeah, a good middle ground is to buy Church's mics and build your own battery box for them.  The battery box is simple wiring, but most of all, you're not dealing with sensitive mics, that are easy to damage with soldering.

Good luck.  This is how I got started too...

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline Kimchoc

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2009, 04:05:05 PM »
Thanks again. I got some good feedback here.
Yes, I'll end up with some Churches and probably his battery thinghy, but for now, I'll just work on building techniques. I'm just not quite sure how to mount the mics like I want yet. I imagine there will be several prototypes. LOL

Thanks again,

Gary B.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com