Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Poll

When do you like to run your LD mics?

There's a specific type of music I like to record with them.
1 (5.3%)
There's a specific location (onstage, outdoors, etc.)
11 (57.9%)
There's no specific time; whenever I "feel like it"
4 (21.1%)
When I don't know what pattern I might want
0 (0%)
I can't remember the last time I ran mine
3 (15.8%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Author Topic: When do you run your LD mics?  (Read 6007 times)

Offline rjp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Re: When do you run your LD mics?
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2013, 10:14:06 PM »
What this all leads to, for me, is the conclusion that dual-diaphragm stereo microphones set as cardioids, or coincident placement of dual-diaphragm cardioids in general, is rarely an optimal choice for the usual "semi-distant" type of stereo recording as compared with spaced placement of similar microphones, or the use of single-diaphragm cardioids for coincident or near-coincident "semi-distant" recording.

How much of a problem is there when using figure-8 patterns e.g. Blumlein or mid/side?

Is there an advantage (or disadvantage) to using a small-diaphragm cardioid as the Mid mic and a large-diaphgragm Side mic?
Mics: AKG Perception 170, Naiant X-X, Sound Professionals SP-TFB-2
Preamps: Naiant Littlebox
Recorders: Olympus LS-10
Interfaces: Focusrite Saffire Pro 14, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2013, 07:30:44 AM »

What this all leads to, for me, is the conclusion that dual-diaphragm stereo microphones set as cardioids, or coincident placement of dual-diaphragm cardioids in general, is rarely an optimal choice for the usual "semi-distant" type of stereo recording as compared with spaced placement of similar microphones, or the use of single-diaphragm cardioids for coincident or near-coincident "semi-distant" recording.

Although I have found that when matrixing this type of pattern with a soundboard feed, the results are usually better, "as compared with spaced placement of similar microphones, or the use of single-diaphragm cardioids for coincident or near-coincident "semi-distant" recording."

Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline fotoralf.be

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • fotoralf.be
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2013, 04:36:50 PM »
The LDC's greater volume of air inside the grilles makes it a lot easier to get rid of wind noise in my outside recordings. Simple foams plus a layer of fur and I'm fine until the wind gets so strong that it almost threatens to knock over the mic stands.

Ralf
Photography and industrial audioscapes from Western Europe. - Sound examples: http://aporee.org/maps/projects/fotoralf - Blog (German): http://the-real-fotoralf.blogspot.com

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2013, 11:24:39 PM »
fotoralf, that is the first new claim in favor of LDCs that I've heard in many years, and what you say is certainly true in many cases. Thank you for surprising me, and good luck with all your recordings.

--best regards
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.059 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com