Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: AKG 460 JW Mod Question  (Read 5182 times)

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
AKG 460 JW Mod Question
« on: November 29, 2005, 11:25:34 AM »
I may have a chance to pick up a couple of AKG 461s locally. One is stock and one has the JW mod. not sure how close the serial #s are.

is there any problem in having one that is already modded and then getting the other one modded? i don't imagine it would be a big deal but I want to make sure before I try to pick these up.

thanks for any feedback
JW mod AKG 460b (ck61/ck63 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x)>  EAA PSP-2 > 722

Segue Dogstar XLRs and Interconnects

ISO: (2) ck2x

Offline bdasilva

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Use to be a Fishhead
Re: AKG 460 JW Mod Question
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2005, 12:06:26 PM »
There is an age issue as to which mics can be modded... Does the modded one and the other have the same pattern of rolloff switches?
Cad E300S set.. AT822  AKG C 414 B-XLS/ST  
Dorsey-Mod MK-012 w/ O, C, H and RED L/D Caps
Superlux S502 ORTF   LSD2
Silverpath  Cables> 
Tascam DR-680MKii    DR- 680 (X2)   Tascam DR-40     Sound Devices USBPre    SONY  PMD-M10   Zoom F8

"Buy a Taper a Drink... Prime the Pumps of live Music"

On the "music" side of the "Music Business"

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2005, 12:14:00 PM »
There is an age issue as to which mics can be modded... Does the modded one and the other have the same pattern of rolloff switches?

i have an email into the guy selling them, I haven't seen them or photos yet. if they do have the same rolloff switches are there any other issues I should be concerned about?

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2005, 12:19:28 PM »
thegreatgumbino here on ts.com has a set of the JW Modded 460's and has a good bit of knowledge on the JW's.  He may be able to help or at least point you in the right direction.

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2005, 12:44:04 PM »
both have the same rolloff switch, but one cap is S/N 3849, the other is 12868 and the grill on the cap looks completely different

i can get the unmodded for 295 and modded for 450, the modded one has the newer cap, i'm sure the output will be off some

should I go for these or not? they look good minus the normal surface scratches

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2005, 01:16:11 PM »
If you're intersted in having the JW mod 460's and ready to spend the money ($175) to have the second body mod'd, it's a pretty good deal price wise.  JW mod is $175/cap, a pair of stock 460's runs about $350-400 in good condition, and the ck61 caps are about $225 a piece new. 

Have you listened to any JW mod 460 recordings?  IMO, the JW mod 460's are considerably better than the 391's & C4's (I had C4's before I upgraded to these).  The only drawback would be that you lose the ability to run actives like the 391's since the extension cables & ck_x cables are VERY hard to come by.  Is your Dmod UA-5 an Oade mod?  If it is, you could upgrade to the T+mod eventually, and have a GREAT sounding rig IMO.  KCMoeJoe has a lot of recordings up on the Archive that you can stream using JW Mod 460's > Pmod/Tmod UA-5. 

The key thing on the rolloff switches is that there is one vertical pad.  There was an early version that had 3 horizontal pads that JW doesn't recommend mod'ing.  Since one of them is already mod'd, and they both have the same switch, I'm assuming that they both have the single vertical pad.

I don't think there will be any issue with buying them and having the second body mod'd.  I'd call JW and make sure that he doesn't foresee a problem.  Don't bother emailing him.  His number can be found on his web page.  I'm pretty sure it's his cell, or that he has his office phone forwarded to his cell when out.  I'd also ask him about sending in the body that already has the JW mod just for a checkup.  He may say this isn't needed, but it's worth asking.

You can find a summary of the JW mod 460's about half way down the page here that I compiled from various threads/websites. 

I'd be happy to try and help answer any other specific questions you've got.
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2005, 01:47:00 PM »
both have the same rolloff switch, but one cap is S/N 3849, the other is 12868 and the grill on the cap looks completely different

i can get the unmodded for 295 and modded for 450, the modded one has the newer cap, i'm sure the output will be off some

should I go for these or not? they look good minus the normal surface scratches

FWIW, I don't think you'll find any caps that are "matched" when you're buying used like this.  They will probably be 2 to 4 dB's off, but you should be able to compensate with your UA-5 and a SVU.  You could always send the caps to AKG and have them "tuned up" and matched, but I think it costs quite a bit.  Don't know if it's worth the $ and hassle.
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2005, 01:53:52 PM »
my only concern really are the 2 different cap styles and how far off they are in output, I emailed the guy to see how far off they are db wise, so we will see. the prices seem pretty decent, but now I'm not so sure if that older cap will be an issue. i'd be in about 900/950 when all is said and done.

i've heard a few JW mod tapes, can't recall which pres / a/d combos but I know I dug them. my d-mod is getting the bm2p+ mod right now and should be back any day. i happened to come across these and they seemed like a good deal and it is local (and so is Jim Williams) which makes it all that more appealing. both have single, vertical  rolloff switches so that shouldn't be an issue. i read somewhere that there are 2 stages or something to the mod for the 460s so I figured i'd drop them both off with Jim to make sure they are both the full (transformerless?) mod. i am gonna call him at lunch, but figured i'd get some feedback here 1st to see if I should even bother.

not really worried about actives quite yet, but does the JW mod eliminate the ability to use the extension cables that work with the 460s or are they just rare?

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
    • My cd List
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2005, 01:55:49 PM »
I agree with all the above, except the part about the actives. I think what he's trying to say is that you can use extension cables to separate the caps from the body on the JWmod 460s, but the caps and cables are pretty rare unlike those for the 390s which are still in production.

Also, I'd have Jim run the serial # on the mic he modded to make sure he removed the transformer. That used to be an option, but is built into the price now.

FWIW my caps have different colored plastic on the inside and the serial numbers are spread out. I've not noticed any difference.
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
    • My cd List
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2005, 01:57:37 PM »
not really worried about actives quite yet, but does the JW mod eliminate the ability to use the extension cables that work with the 460s or are they just rare?

Just rare. Goose runs the actives with the mods and so does someone else. I use the A61 adapter and that gives about an equally low profile without having to run a FET capsule instead of the normal ck6x caps.
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2005, 02:05:09 PM »
heres a pic of the caps he sent me

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2005, 02:37:03 PM »
my only concern really are the 2 different cap styles and how far off they are in output, I emailed the guy to see how far off they are db wise, so we will see. the prices seem pretty decent, but now I'm not so sure if that older cap will be an issue. i'd be in about 900/950 when all is said and done.

From the pic you posted, the caps appear to both be ck61's.  I'm not sure what you mean by different styles.  I don't think there will be a big difference in the dB's, but I could be wrong.  I say run your ideas/questions by JW and if he can reassure you, jump on them!

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2005, 02:41:01 PM »

From the pic you posted, the caps appear to both be ck61's.  I'm not sure what you mean by different styles.  I don't think there will be a big difference in the dB's, but I could be wrong.  I say run your ideas/questions by JW and if he can reassure you, jump on them!

the grill on the higher # cap (right in the picture) protrudes out - i am assuming akg changed the cap slightly on newer models? i'm gonna ask JW about that as well.

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2005, 02:50:41 PM »
I got ya.  The second pic makes more sense.  I don't know anything about the differences there.  JW may be able to help you out.  Or, you might shoot AKG USA an email or call to clarify.  I think there was a link in the Team AKG III thread?

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2005, 08:30:29 PM »
talked to Jim this afternoon, definately no problem with the modding the other body, but when I told him about the caps he sounded a little concerned. all the photos I have seen of CK-61 caps have the grill protruding somewhat - has anyone seen or used older ck-61 caps where the grill is not sticking out at all?

thanks for all the help so far guys another round of Ts for all tomorrow - I'd really like to pick these up I just want to make sure I'm not getting any thing that may be defunct somehow.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com