Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DVD disc differences  (Read 1887 times)

Offline Melanie

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
DVD disc differences
« on: May 06, 2008, 11:32:20 PM »
Hi, I'm Bob, Melanie's husband and taping partner, I posted this question in ask taper forum, but read on and figured I'd get more help here.We are transfering lots of vid. from various mediums ,years worth of live shows we've done and music off t.v.I find that once I transfer from tape medium onto panasonic hard drive/dvd burner,burn disc in same and then copy done disc using roxio (9) I cannot copy from -r discs to +r discs but have no problem going -r to -r or +r to +r.Will I have the same issue going the other way?(+r to -r).I'm able to get what is called by panasonic xp mode(w/lpcm sound) which gives me 1 hour per disc.Unit defaults to dolby for 2 hr. burns.One hour seems to be worth it as I don't see any glitches on our discs but do on some comm. releases (i.e.Zappa Plays Zappa).Fortunatly comm. disc glitches seem to be limited to vid. not audio. Thanks for any input,     Bob
Melanie and Bob

Offline stantheman1976

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: DVD disc differences
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 08:50:43 AM »
The format of teh disc should only matter to your burner.  Some set top DVD recorders can only read one type of disc.  Your PC if you have a multi format burner shouldn't care if it's +R or -R.  If the burner can write both it should have no problem burning from one type to another.  I would recommend not doing a disc to disc copy.  Copy your VIDEO_TS folder from the disc to your hard drive and use IMG Burn in build mode to burn the videos.  It's free and it's the best program for burning video discs accurately and verifying the burn.

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 10:08:13 AM »
as stated the disc type should only matter to your burner
HOWEVER
if you can copy -r > -r and +r > +r then your burner supports both formats (which is good and pretty much all do today)
since you can not copy -r > +r i am thinking it COULD BE because - & +r discs actually hold different amounts of info
so its poss that the original disc has more info on it and the other disc can not hold all the info, thus not allowing it to copy
(the one problem with my thinking is that i can not recall which format can hold more data then the other)
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline stantheman1976

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 12:53:44 PM »
Ahhh...Good point.  Since the HQ mode is being used it might be filling the disc to capacity and it's just a small amount more than the other format can hold.

Offline BlackLab

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2008, 03:11:22 PM »
If you plan on sending copies to people who might have an old DVD player, go w/DVD-R. I am assuming you're burning a regular blank not a DL (dual layer). if so use +R and buy a good brand like a Verbatim

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.058 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com