Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 1/4" > 5/8" adapter  (Read 2866 times)

Offline achalsey

• Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
1/4" > 5/8" adapter
« on: May 25, 2011, 11:59:50 PM »
Sorry this is dumb, but technically this is the right place to post so... :-\

I assumed the stand I got had the normal 3/8" thread on top, but was very disappointed when the 3/8" > 5/8" adapter I got didn't fit at all, turns out its got a 1/4" thread.

I've been trying to find an adapter but can't seem to come up with one.  I know there are people using this stand and was wondering how they made it work, or if anyone had a place to get the right adapter.

stand: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/253067-REG/Impact_LS10AB_Air_Cushioned_Light_Stand.html

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
Re: 1/4" > 5/8" adapter
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 12:15:48 AM »
The cheapskate route would be the B&H kit. But I have both devices and I'm not sure I'd trust LD mics on the smaller bushing... So the alternative that I'd do would be this rapid adaptor and this bushing in part because I find the RA units to be really versitile (and keep a couple on hand anyway). I'd want to see the threads and how it's put together, but this bushing is also an option to consider.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline achalsey

• Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 12:54:49 AM »
^^  Thank you!  I'm going to grab one of adapters from the last link you provided...apparently I don't know how to search B+H well enough.

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 02:37:28 AM »
The cheapskate route would be the B&H kit. But I have both devices and I'm not sure I'd trust LD mics on the smaller bushing... So the alternative that I'd do would be this rapid adaptor and this bushing in part because I find the RA units to be really versitile (and keep a couple on hand anyway). I'd want to see the threads and how it's put together, but this bushing is also an option to consider.
That B&H kit link is what all should know about sweet
thanx Page

--Ian
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 05:47:54 AM »
Not sure I would trust that kit either as it seems "flimsy". Even though the price is right for that B&H kit, I'd rather use a single adapter such as an AEA-TA1 - scroll down to view http://www.ribbonmics.com/aea/Modular_Microphone_Stands.html even if it is considerably costlier.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 05:54:34 AM by flipp »

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 08:54:53 AM »
Not sure I would trust that kit either as it seems "flimsy". Even though the price is right for that B&H kit, I'd rather use a single adapter such as an AEA-TA1 - scroll down to view http://www.ribbonmics.com/aea/Modular_Microphone_Stands.html even if it is considerably costlier.

I agree, The 3/8>5/8 bushing is ok, but the other one is really small with very little in the manner of threading. I'd use it with a set of active/remotes, and if I kept the weight balanced over it as to avoid strain, maybe a set of full bodies, but a set of LDs I could see being problematic.

The TA1 was really what I was looking for at B&H.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011, 10:20:38 AM »
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com