Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Who invented hypercardioid pattern microphones?  (Read 6495 times)

BobW

• Trade Count: (0)
Who invented hypercardioid pattern microphones?
« on: July 15, 2007, 08:44:41 AM »
Does anyone know who invented directional mics, especially hypers?

just wonderin'...

Offline bdasilva

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Use to be a Fishhead
Re: Who invented hypercardioid pattern microphones?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2007, 03:31:19 PM »
Got Google??
Cad E300S set.. AT822  AKG C 414 B-XLS/ST  
Dorsey-Mod MK-012 w/ O, C, H and RED L/D Caps
Superlux S502 ORTF   LSD2
Silverpath  Cables> 
Tascam DR-680MKii    DR- 680 (X2)   Tascam DR-40     Sound Devices USBPre    SONY  PMD-M10   Zoom F8

"Buy a Taper a Drink... Prime the Pumps of live Music"

On the "music" side of the "Music Business"

Offline Roger Gustavsson

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2007, 04:42:25 PM »
I have found this on the Internet (the source is unknown to me):

"In 1936 RCA introduced the 77A ribbon microphone. This was the first unidirectional type. This microphone used two ribbons. One operated as a velocity and the other as a pressure type. Since the phase relationships of the two are different,the resulting pickup pattern becomes cardioid or heart-shaped. The lower part of this microphone consist of a stack of grooved discs with lambs's wool in the grooves. The purpose of this design is to absorb the pressure behind the pressure ribbon."

http://users.belgacom.net/gc391665/microphone_history.htm

« Last Edit: July 15, 2007, 04:51:56 PM by Roger Gustavsson »

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2007, 09:18:45 PM »
Roger, there definitely were directional microphones before 1936; for example, the M7 bayonet capsule for the Neumann CMV 3 ("bottle") was introduced in 1932, and it tends toward a hypercardioid pattern above the midrange. Or you could say that the M 49 was the first "hypercardioid" since the user could choose any pattern from omni through figure-8 remotely.

The first hypercardioid condenser microphone with just that one directional pattern was the Schoeps M 221 B using the MK 241 capsule, introduced in 1964. If there were single-pattern ribbon or other dynamic hypercardioids before that, I wouldn't be at all surprised, but I don't know which ones they were. The usual suspects would be Shure and Electrovoice, I suppose.

By the way, a lot of people on this board seem to mistake shotgun microphones as being hypercardioid, but that really is a mistake. If Bob was really asking about the first shotgun microphones, then that's a whole other question.
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline Roger Gustavsson

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2007, 04:31:37 AM »
I found that source a bit unsecure, as it is about US made microphones. I was also looking at the homepage of Neumann/MicrotechGefell, Sennheiser, Beyer Dynamic and Schoeps. Wasn't Blumlein running omnis in his first crossed pair of figure of eight, because the quality of the directional microphones were so low at that time?

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2007, 07:07:28 AM »
By the way, a lot of people on this board seem to mistake shotgun microphones as being hypercardioid, but that really is a mistake. If Bob was really asking about the first shotgun microphones, then that's a whole other question.

A shotgun microphone is normally a super-cardioid capsule with an interference tube on the front.

The interference tube gun microphone was invented by Sennheiser - and he got an Oscar for it (Technical Oscar 1987)  ;D

Offline Roger Gustavsson

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2007, 01:16:50 PM »
Roger, there definitely were directional microphones before 1936; for example, the M7 bayonet capsule for the Neumann CMV 3 ("bottle") was introduced in 1932, and it tends toward a hypercardioid pattern above the midrange. Or you could say that the M 49 was the first "hypercardioid" since the user could choose any pattern from omni through figure-8 remotely.

According to Neumann/Microtech Gefell, the M7 was introduced in 1936. The CMV 3 in 1928.

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2007, 04:52:33 PM »
Roger G., the dates I gave were from a well-known chart published by Neumann (Berlin). I'm not surprised to see discrepancies between it and the dates given by Gefell, even assuming complete sincerity on everyone's part. The two companies just see things differently, and as long as each company presents its own story from its own viewpoint, I suspect that discrepancies will persist.

But just to be clear, I don't mean that the Neumann M 7 was the first hypercardioid or the first directional anything. I simply gave it as an example of a "unidirectional" microphone earlier than the RCA ribbon. As you noted later, the site you quoted was really talking only about US-made microphones.

John W., if an interference tube wouldn't alter the directionality of a microphone, what else would be the point of using one? As I said, shotguns aren't the same as super- or hypercardioids. Sennheiser, Neumann, Schoeps and other manufacturers make microphones which are supercardioids and others which are shotguns; QED.

Anyway I was really just asking, "Hmm, what if Bob really wanted to know who invented the shotgun microphone?" and Bob is probably the person best able to answer that, if not the only person.

But if that is his question, I'm not sure that your answer is correct--does Sennheiser even make this claim? Please bear in mind the difference between a successful implementation and the idea on which it is based. That applies also to the technical Oscar that you mentioned. The actual history of inventions can often be rather complex.

I've even seen one microphone manufacturer in recent years run an ad boasting of having just received a MIX "Tec" award--but they neither invented what they claimed in the ad, nor does their Tec award say so! This business is becoming more and more strange by the week.

--best regards
« Last Edit: July 17, 2007, 11:59:31 AM by DSatz »

Offline rokpunk

• WOULD HIT IT
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2007, 06:17:56 PM »
Obviously Len Moskowitz did

;D
The new and improved taperssection.com....now with freedom of speech without the repercussion of -T's!

again, your showing your cluelessness.

Jah sitteth in Mount Zion
And rules all creation........

Offline Roger Gustavsson

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2007, 04:20:10 AM »
Roger G., the dates I gave were from a well-known chart published by Neumann (Berlin). I'm not surprised to see discrepancies between it and the dates given by Gefell, even assuming complete sincerity on everyone's part. The two companies just see things differently, and as long as each company presents its own story from its own viewpoint, I suspect that discrepancies will persist.

Neumann and Microtech Gefell are more or less the same company. 1943 Neumann moved from Berlin to Gefell. 1946 Neumann open a workshop in Berlin (West) mainly for repair of microphones. This workshop becomes the Georg Neumann GmbH, now owned by Sennheiser (since 1991). Erich Kühnast stayed in Gefell, in the Sovjet zone. These two companies worked together until 1961, when the Berlin Wall was built and the border of GDR was closed completly. Neumann and Microtech Gefell should have the same history during 1928-1946, when Georg Neumann and Erich Kühnast worked together. I have not seen the document from Neumann you mention.

Roger Gustavsson

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2007, 05:56:14 AM »
John W., if an interference tube wouldn't alter the directionality of a microphone, what else would be the point of using one?

???

I don't understand what you are saying?  Of course an interference tube alters the directivity - that's the whole point of it.

I only mentioned it and the origin because you brought up the subject - I was just setting the record straight.

As I said, shotguns aren't the same as super- or hypercardioids. Sennheiser, Neumann, Schoeps and other manufacturers make microphones which are supercardioids and others which are shotguns; QED.

A shotgun is the same as a super-cardioid in that the capsule of a shotgun is almost always a super-cardioid or hyper-cardioid.  The interference tube only works at higher frequencies and you need the super-cardioid capsule to get the directivity at low frequencies - it's only at the higher frequencies that the interference tube comes into effect and makes the microphone more directional.

But a shotgun mic. is mostly used in TV and film - a super-cardioid is more of a stage or recording mic.

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2007, 05:57:33 AM »
Neumann and Microtech Gefell are more or less the same company.

Were  ;)

Offline Roger Gustavsson

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2007, 09:27:31 AM »
Neumann and Microtech Gefell are more or less the same company.

Were  ;)

Yes, that is right. But we are talking about the period before the WW2. They were just one company then!

Offline Roger Gustavsson

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2007, 06:43:48 PM »
1932 seems to be the year of introduction of the first cardioid made by Neumann. The CM8 capsule for the CMV 3a "bottle". If this was the first ever, I do not know.

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2008, 03:03:34 PM »
> The interference tube gun microphone was invented by Sennheiser - and he got an Oscar for it (Technical Oscar 1987)

Hi, John. I've been meaning to reply here for some time. Just two things that I can see about this statement are possibly a bit off:

(1) The "interference tube gun microphone," as you call it, was invented neither by Sennheiser nor even at Sennheiser. It was invented by Kurtze, Tamm and Griese, patented by them (see the attached), and the rights were then bought by Sennheiser.

(2) The 1986 technical Oscar was awarded to Prof. Sennheiser for a particularly successful implementation--the MKH 816--but not for the shotgun microphone in general. You can readily confirm this by doing a Google search on your own company's Web site (e.g. with the search terms "oscar site:www.sennheiser.com").

Scientific and technical Oscars are like that. Unlike patents, they're awarded for specific products or services rather than for the ideas behind those products. www.oscars.org/scitech has a comprehensive listing of them.

--best regards

Offline Tim

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2008, 03:23:26 PM »
Obviously Len Moskowitz did

;D

that's damn funny ;D
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline heath

• Laugh it up, Fuzzball...
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2008, 04:26:11 PM »
Actually, it was Bean.
And the Sultans... yeah the Sultans play creole

The Upstream Mend

Offline boojum

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2008, 05:06:55 PM »
I thought Bean invented smileys.  :) :)  :)  :)  :)
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline landshark

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2008, 09:55:23 PM »
Nope, it was Bean <grin>
AKG 461's / 463's OR Senn MKH 8040's > MR1000 (Busman mod) or Shure FP24 (aka MixPre) > MR1 (open)
Coresounds Binaurals > CChurch 9100 > MR1 OR AKG CK1x/2x/3x > Deneke P20 > MR1 (low profile)

Offline aegert

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2008, 12:08:41 PM »
Whats a microphone? ::)

A ;)
B&k 4022's > Grace Lunatec V3 > Self Built  Neutrik/ Mogami XLR to TRS > Korg MR1000

Schoeps CMT44's > Self Built Neutrik/ Tuchel 2 ch Snake > Switchcraft Phantom to T-power Adapters > Grace Lunatec V3 > Sound Devices 722

www.motb.org

The bus came by and I got on....

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2008, 12:16:50 PM »
I have to be honest here. I invented it, it was around the time I invented the blow up doll.
 :-*
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline aegert

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2008, 12:28:50 PM »
So you are the guy I pray to!

ROFL
A :P
B&k 4022's > Grace Lunatec V3 > Self Built  Neutrik/ Mogami XLR to TRS > Korg MR1000

Schoeps CMT44's > Self Built Neutrik/ Tuchel 2 ch Snake > Switchcraft Phantom to T-power Adapters > Grace Lunatec V3 > Sound Devices 722

www.motb.org

The bus came by and I got on....

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.166 seconds with 47 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com