Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Suggest a setup for a NEWB for recording acoustic/jazz/chamber shows in my loft.  (Read 10392 times)

Offline ICTWoody

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • Art Director. Audiophile. Kansan.
Yes. The more I read, the more I think a close miking solution will work better here. But I might set a pair somewhere near the middle as well. Depending where I setup the talent I could actually mount mics on the posts in the room and not need an actual stand which would/could disturb seating and movement. I have a lot of options really. A pair of omni's might be cool to have in my arsenal to put almost among the players if there is a small trio or something. Or "stage lip" and still get some of the ambient room/crowd noise... which, right or wrong, I do find kind of charming.

One thing I want to mention here that I mentioned on another forum is that the recording is a bonus in my eyes to hosting the show and having friends over. If I was just recording for recording sake, I would put the player(s) in my smaller listening room which is treated. I know it would sound better. That might be an option down the road if I just want to make a pure recording. But having the show is the primary concern for me. The archiving of it is a bonus.

- Woody

Offline bombdiggity

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...

One thing I want to mention here that I mentioned on another forum is that the recording is a bonus in my eyes to hosting the show and having friends over.

Yeah it's a good thing to do if you have the space and inclination.  We had a lot of fun with it, though its a tremendous amount of work, especially if you're not used to entertaining. 

I didn't have an unlimited budget and we did it for touring artists so we'd suggest a donation to the musicians and pass the hat which adds a layer of promotion that's a lot more work.  If you're just throwing a party for guests with some music and have large numbers of friends it is simpler, though you need to be careful how you set expectations.  Chamber music doesn't work well as background to party conversations.  We would have some time for conversation beforehand, then the performance and further time for conversation afterward (though we drew in a niche from a huge region, so due to that and demographics at least half the crowd needed to leave right after the show).  It's trial and perhaps a little error but a nice way to build community if you have talent in those areas.  The best one we did was an entire weekend mini-festival with seminars and workshops, an afternoon BBQ, and two evening concerts.  It was pretty amazing...  Even the band really enjoyed it  :cheers:

Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
Nak CM-100/CM-300 w/ CP-1's or CP-4's
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR
Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10 (formerly Roland R-05) 
Video: Varied, with various outboard mics depending on the situation

Offline ICTWoody

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • Art Director. Audiophile. Kansan.
Next up would be the Line Audio CM3.  Click the Team Line Audio link in my signature to learn more about them.  About $600 / pr at current exchange from NoHypeAudio.  I use these heavily and they work great in a variety of situations, including a lot of lousy-sounding school auditoriums.

We'll I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a pair of CM3's. JP told me they would probably ship in about 2 weeks as they are on backorder. They are actually only about $335 with shipping at the current exchange rate for a PAIR! From everything I've read about them they seem like a great value. I'm debating about adding a pair of OM1's to the order too... for another $262 it is REALLY REALLY tempting just to have options. JP said that if I add them before the CM3's ship it won't cost me any more shipping, which was about 30euro. A pair of Cardioids and a pair of Omni's that are well reviewed for under $600 seems like a sweet deal for this beginner.

I did get the shock mounts as well, but probably will just get the mics without shocks if I order the OM1's.

- Woody

mfrench

• Trade Count: (0)
Omnis are less prone to handling noise. You'll probably be fine with the standard mounts; the directional mics,.. a different story.
And, you can also foot your stand with sorbothane cups for isolation, rather than shocks. It is a bit more low profile that way, too.

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
Next up would be the Line Audio CM3.  Click the Team Line Audio link in my signature to learn more about them.  About $600 / pr at current exchange from NoHypeAudio.  I use these heavily and they work great in a variety of situations, including a lot of lousy-sounding school auditoriums.

We'll I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a pair of CM3's. JP told me they would probably ship in about 2 weeks as they are on backorder. They are actually only about $335 with shipping at the current exchange rate for a PAIR! From everything I've read about them they seem like a great value. I'm debating about adding a pair of OM1's to the order too... for another $262 it is REALLY REALLY tempting just to have options. JP said that if I add them before the CM3's ship it won't cost me any more shipping, which was about 30euro. A pair of Cardioids and a pair of Omni's that are well reviewed for under $600 seems like a sweet deal for this beginner.

I did get the shock mounts as well, but probably will just get the mics without shocks if I order the OM1's.

- Woody

:coolguy:

If you read up on user experiences with the CM3s, most people (myself included) get the best results in stereo arrays where they are set a bit wider than you would standard cardioids.  NOS spacing (30 cm between capsules, angled 90 deg) is a good starting point.  Lately I prefer the "hybrid" where they are angled a bit wider at 110 deg, using this mount from Scott at SRS.  Don't worry about that now though - you'd need a different kind of shock mounts for those kind of mic clips.  Better off right now you experiment using a standard separate bar where you can individually manipulate the mics.

Last thing I'll add is that if your HVAC has any sort of significant breeze to it, use the included foam windscreens.  They're not worth much outdoors, but the CM3 can be quite wind-sensitive even with gentle indoor currents.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.044 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com