Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Silver clad cable recommendations?  (Read 20379 times)

Offline Genghis Cougar Mellen Khan

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Tin Can > Wax String > Dictaphone
Re: Silver clad cable recommendations?
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2005, 12:56:39 AM »
if your looking for IC's this will be just fine, and its already shielded   http://cgi.ebay.com/SILVER-PLATED-CABLE-SHIELDED-TWISTED-PAIR-Teflon_W0QQitemZ5807117798QQcategoryZ14978QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Thanks for the link, Nick. +T
Here is the link for the seller's ebay store, Patcher Supply
No don't go bidding against me, find your own itemĀ  ;D

From one of the spools in the auction, plus the seller said the wire "14 AWG stranded silver plated copper wire with teflon jacket" was made by Advanced Wire:

Advanced Wire & Cable Inc
Po Box 98
Xenia, OH 45385-0098 Phone:  (937) 372-4765

I couldn't find a web-site...

Maybe a couple of small scratches, but thats because these mics are chick magnets.
Girls always up on Andy tryin to grab these mics, the scratches are from their wedding rings.

CMC641 / DPA4022 / DPA4062>mod MPS6030
V3 / PMD671 / field ready DV-RA1000 / Oade W-mod PMD661 / PCM-M10

Offline Sterling

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2005, 07:08:12 PM »
I wonder how that 5th wire is twisted in with the twisted pairs.

Offline Sterling

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2005, 09:50:22 PM »
Me too. It says you could solder it in with the shield, just cut it off or tie it in with one of the other two pair. It may be worth a shot. Want to go halfs on it?  ;D 110 ft is alot...

« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2005, 09:34:56 AM »
No thanks.. I'm spooked by the dead conductor/inductor twisted in with the signal wires. I could be mistaken about the potential impact.

Offline Sterling

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2005, 09:40:29 AM »
No thats true. Any help out there from the veteren cable builders????? Could this be a potential problem?

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2005, 09:48:05 AM »
Don't let that single extra bother you.  Wire the extra conductor to ground or let itfloat, either way it  will be fine.  For what we are doing, the silver and the teflon are the characteristics of most importance.  My only concern would be that it has the extruded jacket rather than the more flexible wrapped tape jacket.

Of the 4 conductor with wrapped jacket, the cheapest non bulk I found was 1.37/ft for 100 ft.  The stuff in that ad, if it goes for $30-$40 is a very decent deal, especially if you are going to make interconnects or speaker cable.  The extruded jacket may be a little stiff for long mic cables but maybe not.

The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2005, 07:56:02 AM »
here's a question.
if you bought a 4 strand cable that was sheilded...

could you take two pairs and make a "stereo Y cable" and use the sheilding as ground for each pair?  essentialy splitting the ground between each end of XLRs and that would have their own pair of cables?
that would be cool.  make a single wire XLR cable that had Y ends w/the XLRs on them.

I just finished making righ angle XLR ICs w/that 14awg silver clad cable I bought a while back.  I used the rest for some shotgun spekaer cables...and have a little left over for a power chord or two.
:) 

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2005, 10:31:59 AM »
OK, I found my notes.

The cheapest place I found after calling around to a few vendors is:  www.worldwidewire.com

I was quoted $1.27/ft @ 100ft and $0.97/ft @ 250ft for M27500-24RC4S06. 

That number should be right but be sure to double check.  The description is 4 SPC conductors with SPC shield, 19 strand, teflon insulated, tape wrapped sleave.

edit spelling
« Last Edit: November 23, 2005, 10:44:42 AM by Lil' Kim Jong-Il »

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • The Jokell
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2005, 01:20:24 PM »
OK, here's what you do.  You could just buy 1000 ft like so,

http://cgi.ebay.com/Teflon-Insulated-Hook-Up-Wire-22-AWG-Red-1000-ft_W0QQitemZ7545450256QQcategoryZ73139QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

OR, just search on ebay for the following... teflon wire

You will never find it using any other search term, and believe me, I tried.  So there you have it.

D----

BS...
 you can find the cable using many other terms .

why would anyone want to buy 1000 ft of cable to make some IC's or mic cables.

if your looking for IC's this will be just fine, and its already shielded   http://cgi.ebay.com/SILVER-PLATED-CABLE-SHIELDED-TWISTED-PAIR-Teflon_W0QQitemZ5807117798QQcategoryZ14978QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Has anyone actually used this cable for making mic cables or digital interconnects?  I only ask because my parents' company is a distributor for Raychem and I can get this stuff for cost. 
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2005, 01:31:20 PM »
Has anyone actually used this cable for making mic cables or digital interconnects?  I only ask because my parents' company is a distributor for Raychem and I can get this stuff for cost. 

What price?  Can you get the 4 conductor wire?  Twisted pair is fine for short ICs but concensus seems to be star quad for long mic cables.

That wire in the ad has an extruded sheath.  I think you want wrapped for the flexibility.

BTW, we were discussing these surplus wires last night and I just want to confirm that the 5 conductor wire I bought does have a twist inside the sheath - seems like 10 turns per ft.

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2005, 01:45:44 PM »

What price?  Can you get the 4 conductor wire?  Twisted pair is fine for short ICs but concensus seems to be star quad for long mic cables.

That wire in the ad has an extruded sheath.  I think you want wrapped for the flexibility.

BTW, we were discussing these surplus wires last night and I just want to confirm that the 5 conductor wire I bought does have a twist inside the sheath - seems like 10 turns per ft.

Wont know price until Monday morning.  If Raychem makes a 4 conductor wire I can order it - I can order anything off the Raychem catalog.  I'll see if I can get a copy of their literature and go through it.

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2005, 08:13:39 AM »
BTW, I'm bringing in some drawings of these cables to an engineer I know today to ask him all about them.  I'll see if I can get my price as well.

« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2005, 09:50:50 AM »
FWIW, I was discussing cable choices with Doug last week for the recabling of my Schoeps actives..  The actual Schoeps cable is just copper, no cladding on the wire or shield.  But it is a fairly special 3 conductor construction and custom for the application. Doug said a lot of silver cable sounds Awful.

If you believe that a cable change can make a difference, it stands to reason that some cable will sound worse.

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2005, 11:22:40 AM »
Hence why I'll be showing it to an engineer before I do anything else.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.133 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com