Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony PCM-D100 Part2  (Read 116265 times)

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Feel brand new about it
Re: Sony PCM-D100 Part2
« Reply #210 on: January 11, 2018, 09:11:32 PM »
They seem to show up on the used market often. You could save some dough there.
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant »  aercomp2 ■ v2-3 ■ sx-m2d2
dpa 4061 » mma-a.6000
d100 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline Charlie Miller

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Come On, Get Happy
« Reply #211 on: January 11, 2018, 09:57:21 PM »
They seem to show up on the used market often. You could save some dough there.

Quite honestly, I rather buy it new. I'm kinda funny that way.
Audio Engineer & Archivist for Steve Kimock Productions

Schoeps CMC6/MK4, AKG 460/CK61, AKG C34
Sound Devices 744T
Dante Multitrack Rig

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #212 on: January 12, 2018, 11:32:47 AM »
I've circulated over 100 of them so far in 2496, but not DSD. Once i have software which allows me to do patching, pitch correction, level adjustments, then I'll put them out in DSD, but I won't put them out raw.

Korg Audiogate 4 will do level adjustments and patching (not as easy as with PCM DAW) but don't think it will do pitch correction - they have also added a DSD various Phono eq's so maybe oneday it will add Pitch correction

http://cdn.korg.com/us/support/download/files/092435eb8d89c88c01e0c2a4e6f40dc3.pdf

On page 29 it shows the editing options you can do (not alot - adjust balance, levels, fades,  DC Cut, and Phone equilizations)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 11:39:15 AM by H₂O »
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline Charlie Miller

• Come On, Get Happy
« Reply #213 on: January 12, 2018, 12:14:55 PM »
I've circulated over 100 of them so far in 2496, but not DSD. Once i have software which allows me to do patching, pitch correction, level adjustments, then I'll put them out in DSD, but I won't put them out raw.

Korg Audiogate 4 will do level adjustments and patching (not as easy as with PCM DAW) but don't think it will do pitch correction - they have also added a DSD various Phono eq's so maybe oneday it will add Pitch correction

http://cdn.korg.com/us/support/download/files/092435eb8d89c88c01e0c2a4e6f40dc3.pdf

On page 29 it shows the editing options you can do (not alot - adjust balance, levels, fades,  DC Cut, and Phone equilizations)

I have AudioGate and it doesn’t do nearly any of what I need to do. When I patch stuff I do cross fades and that is a deal breaker. That can’t be done on AudioGate. Neither can pop removal. There’s DSD software which will do editing but they convert to 2496 for processing then back to DSD. I’ve been researching this for over a year. Hopefully things will change soon. It’s just a matter of time. I found a work station that comes with DSD mastering software but the cost is astronomical.

Sound Devices 744T
Dante Multitrack Rig

Offline dogmusic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #214 on: January 12, 2018, 01:40:49 PM »

I have AudioGate and it doesn’t do nearly any of what I need to do. When I patch stuff I do cross fades and that is a deal breaker. That can’t be done on AudioGate. Neither can pop removal. There’s DSD software which will do editing but they convert to 2496 for processing then back to DSD. I’ve been researching this for over a year. Hopefully things will change soon. It’s just a matter of time. I found a work station that comes with DSD mastering software but the cost is astronomical.

Doesn't Tascam offer free DSD software for the DA-3000?

http://tascam.com/product/hi-res_editor/
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 01:46:44 PM by dogmusic »
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline Charlie Miller

• Come On, Get Happy
« Reply #215 on: January 12, 2018, 01:51:14 PM »
It’s basic software to convert to wav or cut tracks but nothing that I really need for proper mastering. It’s free software to cut tracks and adjust levels but not in a way that would help me get what I need.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 01:54:06 PM by Charlie Miller »

Sound Devices 744T
Dante Multitrack Rig

Offline fanofjam

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #216 on: January 12, 2018, 04:23:46 PM »
Just out of curiosity, what's the appeal of DSD for you?

I digitized over 1,000 sbd cassette masters from the GD vault using various hardware. I used the mini me, 744 and Tascam da-3000. I found that the DSD is the only format that captures the warmth of analog while still keeping the clarity of digital. There were some tapes that lost low end at 24/192 but kept it in DSD. It’s like digital vinyl. I’ve never heard anything like it. Stunningly amazing. I bought two Tascams and run them as a 4-track. DSD keeps the depth, clarity, warmth and definition that vinyl brings.

I would love to field test one sometime.

I recorded in DSD with a D100 for awhile and absolutely loved it.  I felt the same as you about the results I was getting...but for every post I made expressing my enjoyment of DSD, someone that didn't have access to listen to my files would accuse me of buying snake oil.  Like you, I know what I hear.

In the end through, I gave up in frustration of the unavailability of software that didn't send the DSD files through a PCM conversion.  Even so, listening directly on the D100 to my DSD captures was sublime.

If this situation changes I'll quickly jump back into DSD.

Offline Charlie Miller

• Come On, Get Happy
« Reply #217 on: January 12, 2018, 04:54:43 PM »
Just out of curiosity, what's the appeal of DSD for you?

I digitized over 1,000 sbd cassette masters from the GD vault using various hardware. I used the mini me, 744 and Tascam da-3000. I found that the DSD is the only format that captures the warmth of analog while still keeping the clarity of digital. There were some tapes that lost low end at 24/192 but kept it in DSD. It’s like digital vinyl. I’ve never heard anything like it. Stunningly amazing. I bought two Tascams and run them as a 4-track. DSD keeps the depth, clarity, warmth and definition that vinyl brings.

I would love to field test one sometime.

I recorded in DSD with a D100 for awhile and absolutely loved it.  I felt the same as you about the results I was getting...but for every post I made expressing my enjoyment of DSD, someone that didn't have access to listen to my files would accuse me of buying snake oil.  Like you, I know what I hear.

In the end through, I gave up in frustration of the unavailability of software that didn't send the DSD files through a PCM conversion.  Even so, listening directly on the D100 to my DSD captures was sublime.

If this situation changes I'll quickly jump back into DSD.

You would love the Tascam DA3000. The dac is amazing too. I play all my music through it.

Sound Devices 744T
Dante Multitrack Rig

Offline H₂O

« Reply #218 on: January 17, 2018, 09:17:27 AM »
I have to agree on the DSD front - IMO it sounds superior to PCM, sounding more analog with better spacial imaging

I don't buy the snake oil argument with DSD either but I do agree that other products are snake oil (i.e. a $1000 mains AC power cable or $1000 digital audio cable)

LMA Recordings

List

Online voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #219 on: January 17, 2018, 04:56:17 PM »
I have to agree on the DSD front - IMO it sounds superior to PCM, sounding more analog with better spacial imaging

I don't buy the snake oil argument with DSD either but I do agree that other products are snake oil (i.e. a $1000 mains AC power cable or $1000 digital audio cable)

I'm going to be that guy again.  Are you listening through a DAC with native DSD decoding, to an unedited DSD recording?  Or listening straight off your DSD recorder?
You've probably seen this article before, but it's worth a read for those who haven't seen it before for some background, and why it's difficult to compare DSD and PCM.

I don't think that DSD is necessarily snake oil, although it was borne out of a marketing push to sell new discs and players.  I think it just introduces different technical problems in an attempt to solve those of PCM.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline fanofjam

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #220 on: January 17, 2018, 05:14:13 PM »
Are you listening through a DAC with native DSD decoding, to an unedited DSD recording?  Or listening straight off your DSD recorder?

That's the problem.  The market hasn't been supported with software or products that allow us to maintain the native DSD format for editing and/or playback.  In my case, I recorded with the Sony D100 and listened to native files directly on the D100...wonderful!  As soon as I converted for editing, although 24/196 recordings sounded great, the files had lost that special character that Charlie mentioned...call it mojo.  Without the mojo, it kinda renders the whole DSD thing and committing to the format moot.

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
« Reply #221 on: January 17, 2018, 05:44:14 PM »
I also hear something special about my DSD Korg mr 2 recordings listening native DSD kor DAC 100.

http://www.korg.com/us/products/audio/ds_dac_100m/
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 05:51:23 PM by beatkilla »

Offline Charlie Miller

• Come On, Get Happy
« Reply #222 on: January 17, 2018, 06:04:21 PM »

I'm going to be that guy again.  Are you listening through a DAC with native DSD decoding, to an unedited DSD recording?  Or listening straight off your DSD recorder?
You've probably seen this article before, but it's worth a read for those who haven't seen it before for some background, and why it's difficult to compare DSD and PCM.

I don't think that DSD is necessarily snake oil, although it was borne out of a marketing push to sell new discs and players.  I think it just introduces different technical problems in an attempt to solve those of PCM.

I listen to both DSD off the Tascam and off my computer in 2496 using the Tascam as a DAC. Even with the 2496 I can clearly hear the difference with the DSD transfers. I rarely use foobar, mostly Samplitude.

Sound Devices 744T
Dante Multitrack Rig

Offline H₂O

« Reply #223 on: January 17, 2018, 11:18:39 PM »
I listen to sacd’s via sacd player > dsd digital link (denon link) > receiver (pure mode - no DSP as this would convert to PCM to process)

My recordings directly from an MR-1

Both in native DSD
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 10:24:51 AM by H₂O »
LMA Recordings

List

Offline kevinsinnott

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #224 on: August 12, 2018, 08:35:11 PM »
I hope this post fits the subject. I finally got a SOny PCM-D100. Although the handling noise takes getting used to, I think the overall sound quality is excellent. My problem is: I am getting what sounds like latency artifacts when I monitor a recording everywhere but DSD. None in DSD! All files sound great in playback. Is this your experience? Thank you for any insights you can give me.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.103 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com