Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol R-44 - 4 Channel Recorder (Part Tres)  (Read 97056 times)

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Edirol R-44 - 4 Channel Recorder (Part Tres)
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2008, 03:33:17 AM »
Yeah, my USB is painfully slow compared to my old R4, but OMG the R44 rocks, lol.

Heh...

Painfully slow is dat transfer.  :P It can always be worse.
TDS!

DPA 4023> aeta PSP-2> Apogee Mini Me > R-44

http://www.basicallyfrightened.com/

Offline Carlos E. Martinez

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2008, 06:50:37 AM »
Sonidista,

Apparently you are you using your R44 recorder for film or video jobs, right? Don't they require time coded recordings?

I ask that because I am intending to buy a recorder with such jobs in mind, and the R4 Pro is one I am considering, as it has TC capabilities.

In my case I would go in with Shure FP33 audio, which should be quieter than the internal mic preamps. Though location ambient noise is probably greater than the Edirol noise can put in, 

One thing I am concerned about is how to deliver the recordings to the client, and I don't think you can output files directly from R4 or R44 to a CD or DVD recorder, can you? From what I see on the manual you have to go through a computer.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 06:59:25 AM by Carlos E. Martinez »

Offline sanaka

• Taperssection Regular
  • Perpetual n00b
    • My first Dead show
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2008, 07:35:52 AM »
Hey Carlos:

As per R44 manual, it draws 1.2 amps. And no, you can't file transfer from R44 to another device, but you can stream digital s/pdif out to a a device with s/pdif input (i.e. it's digital but it's real time).

Peace,
Sanaka

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2008, 08:58:46 AM »
Hey Carlos:

As per R44 manual, it draws 1.2 amps.

The data I had was from r4 pro manual. It was 2A. Maybe it's different on r44.

And no, you can't file transfer from R44 to another device, but you can stream digital s/pdif out to a a device with s/pdif input (i.e. it's digital but it's real time)

Then it's better to use computer for download.

Offline sonidista

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2008, 02:02:06 PM »

Sonidista,

Apparently you are you using your R44 recorder for film or video jobs, right? Don't they require time coded recordings?

I ask that because I am intending to buy a recorder with such jobs in mind, and the R4 Pro is one I am considering, as it has TC capabilities.

In my case I would go in with Shure FP33 audio, which should be quieter than the internal mic preamps. Though location ambient noise is probably greater than the Edirol noise can put in, 

One thing I am concerned about is how to deliver the recordings to the client, and I don't think you can output files directly from R4 or R44 to a CD or DVD recorder, can you? From what I see on the manual you have to go through a computer.
Carlos,

true. Projects that use TC in my book are only the very high end. I have worked on high budget 35 mm shoots and they didn't want to use TC. Remember that all three components, audio recorder, camera and editing suite, have to support TC. So according to my work experience I decided to buy the R-44.
Maybe ask Edirol if they're planning to make a R-44 Pro anytime soon, since the R-44 virtually replaces the old R-4, and the R4Pro is a ship of a recorder.

So it really depends form the kind of jobs you do, and if the majority does require TC. In my case, if someone wants TC, I will rent a SD 744T for the job.

The good old slate still is the safest solution to me and will never die.

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2008, 08:37:56 PM »
true. Projects that use TC in my book are only the very high end. I have worked on high budget 35 mm shoots and they didn't want to use TC.

What country do you live in? I live in Brazil even if I made my first years in the film business in Argentina, a long time ago. In those days we used Nagra and Uher machines for location audio.

In the early '90s I started an audio rental business in both countries, now only in Rio. So I have most of the equipment except recorder, which I never got requests for except in the early DAT days.

So it's the only piece I don't have now that I want to restart doing location audio.

Remember that all three components, audio recorder, camera and editing suite, have to support TC.

Particularly in Argentina there seems to be very few people using TC, but I am not too sure why. In Brazil is very much used. My Denecke TC slates go out all the time.

So according to my work experience I decided to buy the R-44.

What do you deliver to your clients? A CD copy?

Maybe ask Edirol if they're planning to make a R-44 Pro anytime soon, since the R-44 virtually replaces the old R-4, and the R4Pro is a ship of a recorder.

AFAIK the Edirol R4 Pro is the latest version and the R44 is that model without the TC capability. I don't think there will be a new model. 

So it really depends form the kind of jobs you do, and if the majority does require TC. In my case, if someone wants TC, I will rent a SD 744T for the job.

I will have buy a TC capable recorder, even if it's the Tascam, which you have to input a TC signal. As I already have a Denecke TC generator, then I can use it. But having 4 channels and TC is even more interesting. So I'd be willing to go for the R4 pro.

Yes and no. It will soon die, when all equipment is TC capable, and we are now very close to it. Many DV and HDV cameras can output an SMPTE or mide TC signal, so you can jam that to the TC generator.

Offline leehookem

• Trade Count: (3)
    • Texas Tapers
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2008, 10:32:00 PM »
What Lowepro bag is that?

anybody, Bueller?
www.texastapers.org

AKG c480b ck61/ck63 > Tascam DR-70D
Oade ACM Marantz PMD-671
AKG ck61/63 > NBob Actives > Naiant PFA > Tascam DR-70D
Oade ACM Marantz PMD-671
Audiophile 2496 > Mytek Stereo96 DAC > Sony MDR-7506
Dual 1229 > Marantz 2270 > Kimber Kables > Cerwin Vega VS120

Canon Rebel XSi, EF 50 mm f/1.8, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2008, 11:08:46 PM »
Just by the size and the few of many models I've seen personally, it looks similar to the Apex or Rezo series Lowepros. Lowepro's site does not have a search function that allows you to enter the size you want and it returns bags with those dimensions. I know the Fry's around Dallas carry a few different models of the Apex and Rezo series cases. Check a local Fry's or look on lowepro.com for a retailer near you. A camera store that carries Lowepro may have POS/tech lit that isn't available on the website that lists dimensions of all their products.

or try PMing baytayntd

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2008, 11:26:12 PM »
AFAIK the Edirol R4 Pro is the latest version and the R44 is that model without the TC capability.
The recently released R-44 writes to SDHC media and is much smaller than the R4 Pro.  It is said that it uses the same mic preamp.

I don't think there will be a new model. 
Not of the R4 series, but I can imagine an R-44 Pro with timecode and full monitoring!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 11:29:53 PM by Ozpeter »

Offline leehookem

• Texas Tapers
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2008, 12:18:06 AM »

or try PMing baytayntd

already did.  no response yet.
www.texastapers.org

Oade ACM Marantz PMD-671
Oade ACM Marantz PMD-671

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2008, 05:43:52 AM »
The recently released R-44 writes to SDHC media and is much smaller than the R4 Pro.  It is said that it uses the same mic preamp.

Now I realize one thing I didn't perceive before.

The R4 Pro records to an internal 80GB drive or to an external USB device, like a memory-stick I guess. It doesn't have internal CF card capability, and I am interested in a recorder that does have that.

Size is a bit larger on the R4 Pro and weight is probably a bit more too.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 05:53:37 AM by Carlos E. Martinez »

Offline sonidista

• Taperssection Newbie
)
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2008, 06:05:31 PM »
true. Projects that use TC in my book are only the very high end. I have worked on high budget 35 mm shoots and they didn't want to use TC.

What country do you live in? I live in Brazil even if I made my first years in the film business in Argentina, a long time ago. In those days we used Nagra and Uher machines for location audio.

In the early '90s I started an audio rental business in both countries, now only in Rio. So I have most of the equipment except recorder, which I never got requests for except in the early DAT days.

So it's the only piece I don't have now that I want to restart doing location audio.

Remember that all three components, audio recorder, camera and editing suite, have to support TC.

Particularly in Argentina there seems to be very few people using TC, but I am not too sure why. In Brazil is very much used. My Denecke TC slates go out all the time.

So according to my work experience I decided to buy the R-44.

What do you deliver to your clients? A CD copy?

AFAIK the Edirol R4 Pro is the latest version and the R44 is that model without the TC capability. I don't think there will be a new model. 

I will have buy a TC capable recorder, even if it's the Tascam, which you have to input a TC signal. As I already have a Denecke TC generator, then I can use it. But having 4 channels and TC is even more interesting. So I'd be willing to go for the R4 pro.

Yes and no. It will soon die, when all equipment is TC capable, and we are now very close to it. Many DV and HDV cameras can output an SMPTE or mide TC signal, so you can jam that to the TC generator.

I live and work in Germany. I deliver CD or DVD copies with the files. Its pretty easy. No big deal.
The R44 is much smaller than the R4(Pro). If you want TC and got the cash, I recommend you buy the Sound Devices 744T. Its much smaller (MUCH!) than the R4Pro and got great Preamps. Still great value for money.

Hey Oz, what a nice dream that is... R-44 Pro... sends nice time code shivers down my spine...
By the way I disagree on the death of slates theory. Its all zeros and ones, thus very vulnerable... what if a TC gets messed up somewhere in the process. Slates will always be the back hand option. Quick and dirty, too...

Offline sanaka

• Taperssection Regular
  • Perpetual n00b
    • My first Dead show
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2008, 07:47:53 PM »
I made a whole other post about this, but does anyone know what the gain is on the R44 mic preamps? I don't grok the "input level" spec., I just want to know by what factor the mic signal can be amplified, i.e. gain. Thanks!

Peace,
Sanaka

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2008, 11:55:26 PM »

It's a Lowepro "SlipLock Pouch 60AW". I found it at a Calumet store in SF, maybe you can get it through their website?

It should be said that this is bag fits the R44 perfectly with room for a DVD battery if needed, BUT... There's not a cm to spare and there are no extra pockets, none. Amazingly, as an AW, it actually does have a tiny self-contained built-in but hidden rain/beer cover.

I kind of look at this bag as the standard thing that's protecting my R44 at all times in any bag or on any shelf, etc. But depending on the gig, I may use a completely different bag. This bag REQUIRES right-angle XLRs (unless modded or something), I use those pigtails in the photos (which for the record I now wish were black, but I digress).

My typical use of this besides storage will be to throw it in a bigger messenger bag with even more crap, lol. And then at the venue, I can just lock and leave the recorder in this discreet bag. I had to poke a hole in the side of the bag to be able to use the lock, and I suppose it might be possible to mod the bag on both sides to be more like an audio bag. Although at that point, you'd be better off going with a PortaBrace.

Sorry it took so long to reply.
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline leehookem

• Texas Tapers
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2008, 12:16:26 AM »

It's a Lowepro "SlipLock Pouch 60AW". I found it at a Calumet store in SF, maybe you can get it through their website?

It should be said that this is bag fits the R44 perfectly with room for a DVD battery if needed, BUT... There's not a cm to spare and there are no extra pockets, none. Amazingly, as an AW, it actually does have a tiny self-contained built-in but hidden rain/beer cover.

I kind of look at this bag as the standard thing that's protecting my R44 at all times in any bag or on any shelf, etc. But depending on the gig, I may use a completely different bag. This bag REQUIRES right-angle XLRs (unless modded or something), I use those pigtails in the photos (which for the record I now wish were black, but I digress).

My typical use of this besides storage will be to throw it in a bigger messenger bag with even more crap, lol. And then at the venue, I can just lock and leave the recorder in this discreet bag. I had to poke a hole in the side of the bag to be able to use the lock, and I suppose it might be possible to mod the bag on both sides to be more like an audio bag. Although at that point, you'd be better off going with a PortaBrace.

Sorry it took so long to reply.
No worries.  If I ever pull the trigger on the R44, that looks like a great bag to have.  Perfect protection when putting into a larger bag and small and compact when running at a show.
www.texastapers.org

Oade ACM Marantz PMD-671
Oade ACM Marantz PMD-671

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com