Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol R-44 - 4 Channel Recorder (Part Tres)  (Read 97065 times)

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
Re: Edirol R-44 - 4 Channel Recorder (Part Tres)
« Reply #75 on: August 26, 2008, 01:04:37 AM »
If the numbers in brackets are class ratings, the list more or less implies that any reputable card should work.

Except that hasn't been the experience by some ppl here. Seems like depending on the specific card, YMMV. So, I'd personally stick with cards on that list, or cards that are known to work. Otherwise, there is a (slim) chance you'll end up with a card that doesn't work. Seems like most of the problem cards have been 16 gig +
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline F0CKER

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #76 on: August 27, 2008, 10:44:00 AM »
Received my mod R44 last night and have to say I like it.  Gonna take a little time to get used to the levels, themetering on the 744 was much easier on the eyes.

The question I have today is around external power.  I bought a 9V DVD battery but can't seem to get the R44 to power up using it.  Is there a setting I'm missing?  I changed the voltage in the menu to 9V and to external.  The battery I bought didn't have options for polarity with the connectors...does anyone use this battery and do I need to buy an adapter to fix polarity?  I didn't see anythiong in the instructions one way or the other with the battery.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/480307-REG/Impact_BPD8000_BPD_8000_Universal_Portable_Li_Ion.html
Nevaton MC49 -> Sonosax SX-R4

Offline leehookem

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Texas Tapers
« Reply #77 on: August 27, 2008, 11:32:56 AM »
The R-44 is center pin negative.

Go to Radioshack and buy an adaptaplug.  M and B tips and cable.
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2049698&cp=&sr=1&kw=adaptaplug&origkw=adaptaplug&parentPage=search
www.texastapers.org

AKG c480b ck61/ck63 > Tascam DR-70D
Oade ACM Marantz PMD-671
AKG ck61/63 > NBob Actives > Naiant PFA > Tascam DR-70D
Oade ACM Marantz PMD-671
Audiophile 2496 > Mytek Stereo96 DAC > Sony MDR-7506
Dual 1229 > Marantz 2270 > Kimber Kables > Cerwin Vega VS120

Canon Rebel XSi, EF 50 mm f/1.8, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS

Offline Colin Liston

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #78 on: August 27, 2008, 04:27:07 PM »
Occasionally....music mics record

kskreider

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #79 on: August 27, 2008, 05:21:09 PM »
No change log?

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #80 on: August 27, 2008, 06:49:47 PM »
Thanks for the heads-up!  Things it really should fix are the slow transfer speed and lack of any indication of digital level setting.  I'll be the patsy and give it a try.  If you see smoke rise from Australia you know it's best avoided...

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #81 on: August 27, 2008, 07:05:06 PM »
I did the update but can't spot anything changed, yet.  Transfer speed remains slower than via a card reader, and there's no display of digital level - that's a pity.

Two things concerning the update - indeed it wipes your settings including name settings.  And to get the current version display you press the LITTLE  >| button with 'display', not the big one.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 07:06:41 PM by Ozpeter »

Offline thekittycatt

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #82 on: August 27, 2008, 08:01:50 PM »
I was wondering what some people thought about the r-44 compared to the HD-P2.  I was thinking about getting one of these and selling my  2 HD-P2.

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #83 on: August 27, 2008, 08:57:51 PM »
No change log?

Fixes are

1. Issues of compatibility with SD Cards (new list should be up soon).
2. Counter digits might jump back for few seconds within few seconds of recording when Pre-Rec is activated.
3. Signals might be distorted by negative values set at the Graphic EQ.
4. Fixes incorrect frequency response by negative values set at MID of "3 Band EQ" in 88.2/96kHz sampling rate modes.
5. Compatibility improved with .WAV files made by LOGIC from Apple.
6. Now compatible with 4-ch surround or WaveFormatExtensible files made by applications such as SONAR from Cakewalk.

digifish

« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 09:12:52 PM by digifish_music »
- What's this knob do?

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #84 on: August 27, 2008, 11:58:07 PM »
Thanks for the info!

The other thing that needs fixing are the markers which only seem to work in Wavosaur.

And while I think of it - check through the effects settings carefully after the update - they seem to have some random "on" settings.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 12:02:38 AM by Ozpeter »

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #85 on: August 28, 2008, 12:08:25 AM »
Thanks for the info!

The other thing that needs fixing are the markers which only seem to work in Wavosaur.

And while I think of it - check through the effects settings carefully after the update - they seem to have some random "on" settings.

Not surprising given they have been messing about with the EQ/Effects code...will check mine pre/post update and if I concur will pass it back to Edirol.

EDIT: OK I updated but didn't find any settings that were on, what in particular did you find?

digifish
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 07:48:45 AM by digifish_music »
- What's this knob do?

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #86 on: August 28, 2008, 10:06:28 AM »
I found - some.  I just reset what I saw to "off" without considering taking any note.  So all I can usefully say on the basis of my own experience is that checking may be worthwhile.  But after such an operation I guess it would be prudent to check through all setups before the next serious recording anyway.

Offline Carlos E. Martinez

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #87 on: August 28, 2008, 10:31:03 AM »
As I don't have an R44 yet, those that do here might answer this query: can you navigate from take to take on a recording, to check on what you have just recorded or previous takes?

As I would be using it for film/video audio, I would need to check on that quite a lot.

Can you connect a keyboard to the R44 in order to write information on the take?

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #88 on: August 28, 2008, 11:55:17 AM »
As I don't have an R44 yet, those that do here might answer this query: can you navigate from take to take on a recording, to check on what you have just recorded or previous takes? As I would be using it for film/video audio, I would need to check on that quite a lot.

Yes, quite easily I might add, and from marker to marker in the same file too.

Can you connect a keyboard to the R44 in order to write information on the take?

No.
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #89 on: August 28, 2008, 06:21:10 PM »
Unfortunately though the markers are written in a non-standard way so that at the editing stage they may not appear in your DAW software.  Note also that providing a balanced playback in terms of level is provided via a menu - though I believe the balance is reset if the R-44 is turned off - but you can't pan the four channels independently.  You need an external monitor mixer for that.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.09 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com