Gear / Technical Help > Post-Processing, Computer / Streaming / Internet Devices & Related Activity

Transferring DAT to PC

<< < (6/7) > >>

fogelsong:
I'll second that on avoiding portable DAT decks. I know at least a few people with Sony PCM-M1s that eat tapes now :(

My old Tascam DA-20mkii is still going strong.

If a deck simply will not open, that does not mean it's dead. It just means the grease that previously lubricated the moving parts inside has turned sticky and glue like. It can be fixed, but it's a PITA. See this thread over at tapeheads - http://www.tapeheads.net/showthread.php?t=53001

MakersMarc:
Hhb portadat. Unkillable.

jerryfreak:

--- Quote from: MakersMarc on October 17, 2020, 12:20:28 PM ---Hhb portadat. Unkillable.

--- End quote ---

i have 2 over here that need servicing. one eats tapes and the other wont load them at all

live2496:
I use an RME Multiface for anything requiring SPDIF capture. RME drivers still work on Windows 10.

Gordon

yousef:
I'm sure I've said this before but I thought my DATs were dying due to all the diginoise and gaps when trying to transfer them using a full size Sony machine.

Playback through the D8 I used to actually record them has thus far proved problem-free. A bit of light Googling revealed several people who'd had problems playing back "portable" tapes on a full size deck - sounds like the alignment had to be spot on to guarantee compatibility.

Currently transferring my DATs for hopefully the last time...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version