Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: something is going on with my JB3  (Read 2717 times)

Offline seekup40

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
something is going on with my JB3
« on: April 26, 2005, 02:37:35 AM »
looked in the FAQ and didnt see anything about this

so i bought my jb3 a couple weeks ago off ebay, it was in the box and pretty much brand new, i get it and it doesnt turn on, i then plug the power adapter into it and its fine, i charge the battery for about 4 hours and then take the power adapter out, and the whole machine just shuts off and it wont let me power it back on, anyone know whas up with it?

thanks
Chris

Offline Wedge

• Taperssection Newbie
Re: something is going on with my JB3
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2005, 03:58:06 AM »
Firstly - have you checked the obvious - that there IS a battery in it?  The symptoms you describe seem to indicate either lack of a battery at all, or failure in the charging circuit, or a dud battery.

Any of the above would seem to indicate a return to seller once you have identified the problem.

Oh - just in case - make sure the battery is in the correct way, if there is any possibility of error. 

Please note, I don't own a JB3, this is just stuff I would check in your situation.

Offline The Kilted Taper

• Needs to get out more...
  • Real men wear kilts.
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2005, 09:15:07 AM »
I think there is a known, but not very common issue with the batteries. I've had 2 that would not charge at all. If you bought it from Creative, ask them to exchange the battery. Tell them you have other batteries that work in the unit fine, but one is not.

"The guy who's been dissed, dismissed and demoted so often that he should have officially changed his first name to "Backup." "

Offline seekup40

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2005, 10:08:35 AM »
yea there is a battery in it, and it is in the correct way just doesnt seem like it charges

so would my best bet to just contact the ebay seller to let him know it doesnt charge?

Offline JackoRoses

• lost cause
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2005, 10:35:30 AM »
Ifthe battery does not currently seem to be working, try smacking it on a flat surface.
It shold make a popping noise. If it does, try putting it in the player and charging it.
It should start working again, if it does not well you are still not out anything since the battery
was not functioning properly to begin with.
thanks to another member for that tip..
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/jackoroses
AKG ck61's/ck62's/ck63's/480b's > zaolla's/Dogstar silver cables > optimod V3  > zaolla spdif> HD-P2
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. "
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Big Brother is here and he is watching you.

Offline The Kilted Taper

• Real men wear kilts.
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2005, 10:37:16 AM »
Ifthe battery does not currently seem to be working, try smacking it on a flat surface.
It shold make a popping noise. If it does, try putting it in the player and charging it.
It should start working again, if it does not well you are still not out anything since the battery

Interesting. What's the purpose of smacking it?  ???
"The guy who's been dissed, dismissed and demoted so often that he should have officially changed his first name to "Backup." "

Offline seekup40

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2005, 01:44:07 PM »
alright its now fully charged, not sure how that happened, hopefully it should be good

Offline sunjan

• Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2005, 02:00:31 PM »

Interesting. What's the purpose of smacking it?  ???

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=35514.msg453216#msg453216

Old batteries build up crystals in the electrolyte. This is a well researched fact.
My guess is that the shock somehow breaks down the crystals enough for it to take charge again.
Be careful not to whack it over an edge though, you might crack it...
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline neutrino

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • **Team Chicago**
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2005, 07:24:22 PM »
The crystals you speak of are associated with Ni-Cd batteries, where the batteries used in all the JB3's I have seen are lithium-ion. If smacking the battery has worked for you in the past it was probably due to a loose connection in the circuit board that is attached to the lithium battery. I would advise against smacking the battery as the circuit board inside the shrink wrap of the JB3 battery contains very small components that can easily be damaged.
dB-

CA14/OM14 > A10
Sony SBM-1 Oade mod

Offline keepongoin

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2005, 07:27:36 PM »
i had something VERY odd happen with my JB3, that was related to the charging... i had the plastic ring at the tip of my car adaptor break off on the post inside the AC plug... this resulting in the regular plug not being able to seat properly and i got no charge... took me a while to figure out what was wrong.
“When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross.” Sinclair Lewis: How Fascism Will Come To America (1935)

"Science is facts; just as houses are made of stones, so is science made of facts; but a pile of stones is not a house and a collection of facts is not necessarily science."- Henri Poincare

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/pierce

Offline sunjan

• Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2005, 04:35:28 AM »
The crystals you speak of are associated with Ni-Cd batteries, where the batteries used in all the JB3's I have seen are lithium-ion. If smacking the battery has worked for you in the past it was probably due to a loose connection in the circuit board that is attached to the lithium battery. I would advise against smacking the battery as the circuit board inside the shrink wrap of the JB3 battery contains very small components that can easily be damaged.
dB-

Makes sense. I forgot to stress what was already said in the link above:
Only use whacking as a last resort if you've proven the battery to be dead anyway.
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2005, 06:55:20 PM »
fwiw I whacked a friends cel phone battery the other day and it came back to life.  Gotta love this technology stuff!
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com