Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: More Peluso thoughts  (Read 13001 times)

Offline BobbyHurley

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • got a blank space where my mind should be
Re: More Peluso thoughts
« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2005, 07:52:56 AM »
If they figure out the problem with the hyper caps about the same time that they unveil the active cables, I would request a pair of the active cables with your replacement caps for the "inconvenience factor."  I would imagine that they want nothing but good press from us, as we are basically doing their field research for them.

dwyl.
AKG C 480 B (CK61 and CK63) > Oade m248 > GAK cable > Sony M-10

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2005, 08:10:38 AM »
If they figure out the problem with the hyper caps
dwyl.

there is no problem with them. they just dont sound as good as their others.  from what I hear, making a good sounding hyper cap is very difficult.  if one of those is a major importance and you want to stay cheap, then the Oktava hyper cap is the one to beat.
of course, the mk41 and ck63 are *the* hypers.
I'll toss some kudos for the T.H.E. hyper cap for its modular condenser as well.  that was very sweet sounding.
the peulso cap though..."eh". 
I've not nailed anything stupendous w/it yet.  My SKB recording of 6-17 (on archive) is my best pull with it yet. 

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2005, 08:17:22 AM »
of course, the mk41 and ck63 are *the* hypers.

actually I would argue that the M21s are in that class and to my ears better than one of those identified (nope, not going to say which :) )

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #48 on: July 27, 2005, 08:27:19 AM »
thats the MG?
not familiar w/its sound

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2005, 08:35:56 AM »
thats the MG?
not familiar w/its sound

yeah, the MG, sorry should have made that clearer

Offline ehren

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Of course this is a taper ticket!
« Reply #50 on: July 27, 2005, 11:10:31 AM »
I think that Peluso will figure this out. He obviously knows mics and has a lot of experience with repairs and restoration. It's not surprising that he's run into a bug with a totally new product that he is producing on a very small scale. Thing is, I really like these mics and am willing to be patient for a bit to see what happens.

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #51 on: July 27, 2005, 01:50:50 PM »
Ok..just got off the phone with John Peluso.
here is the deal.

12 bad mics came back (out of a lot of 600).
three issues affected these mics, one or the other.
1.  bad resistors...or, a bad batch that had poor contacts, hence the "sometimes its broken"
2.  capsules that retained moisture durring constuction...due to bad AC unit in the lab at the time of construction.,
3.  user error.  people switcing the -20db pad on by accident.  Hes resolving this by sinking the switches deep into the mic so you need to poke something in there to actualy move the switch.

he stopped shipping for 2 weeks, and is 99% positive that he has worked all of this out all ready.  So dont let soudpure scare you...they are just all excited about it.  it'll pass.  John told me he's had a bunch of his "pro" users buying up dozens of these in fear they would be discontinued.  fwiw..
they are not going to be.

Also, the active cable is a ways off.
what will be coming first is a new micro mic about the diameter of a pensil, and a couple inches long...like an Audix 1290, only smaller.  this will employ an active cable system..but things get a little confusing.
an active cable for the CEMC6 is a little farther off in the works.

also...a SS 9 pattern LD mic, and plans for a stereo mic are on the drawing board.
I told him to make it a SD stereo mic, coincident.  as that is how these mics sound best  to me.  the sub card XY is fucking great.

Offline ehren

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Of course this is a taper ticket!
« Reply #52 on: July 27, 2005, 02:50:57 PM »
Hey Nick,

I'm glad that John has it worked out, I have complete confidence that he'll get it taken care of. What I don't think John is seeing is that Soundpure is currently making customers hold onto bad mics until they are sure that the problem is fixed, so there are more of them out there. Needless to say, I can't wait to get mine fixed.

On a good note, Soundpure says that the fix has made the new mics a tad bit hotter and a tad bit cleaner as a result. Something to do with changing the ground structure, I don't claim to understand any of the technical areas so I'm just paraphrasing what they told me.

Offline drewloo

• Friend of Salsa
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • it's recreational
« Reply #53 on: July 27, 2005, 04:29:47 PM »
I'm going to be putting mine up for sale very soon to help w/ the closing on a house I'm buying  :)  (still have TL's and 853's).  If anyone wants a set (unmatched, but they seem pretty evenly matched to me) w/ cards, hypers, and wide cards (one capsule is bad I believe but I'll send it in to John and have him send the repaired/replaced capsule to whoever buys the mics or however the buyer wants to handle it) for a really good price let me know. -Drew

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #54 on: July 27, 2005, 04:50:43 PM »
"what will be coming first is a new micro mic about the diameter of a pensil, and a couple inches long...like an Audix 1290, only smaller.  this will employ an active cable system..but things get a little confusing."

Basically, he's making a phantomed mini mic, as in: AT853RX and the DPAs.  That would be interesting addition.  I'll never give up my 853s, but I wondering what flavor these minis will be. 

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #55 on: July 27, 2005, 05:06:26 PM »
same technology as in the cemc6 series, only miniaturized.
should be good, and i'm on the list for first out the door for review.
:)

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #56 on: July 27, 2005, 05:27:14 PM »
well played Nick!
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #57 on: July 27, 2005, 06:26:12 PM »
:)
hey...you can go a long way w/a little fluffin'

Offline Ian

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #58 on: July 29, 2005, 05:23:11 PM »
Glad to see this thread here.

I'm "the" Ian who taped Galactic at Wakarusa, and a bunch of other shows too. I don't have any problems with my Peluso's, and I've been taping like a mad man, and plan to be continually.

I love my Peluso's. They were my first set of mics, and I couldn't have been happier with my choice. Great mics, great quality, GREAT price.
Peluso CEMC-6(matched pair)->V3(optical)->JB3 (16bit, 44.1khz)

Offline Ian

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #59 on: August 14, 2005, 06:50:01 PM »
My mics have now gone bad. I will be sending them in for repairs. It seems the *little* bit of moisture at Trey/STS9 tweaked them enough to screw them up.
Peluso CEMC-6(matched pair)->V3(optical)->JB3 (16bit, 44.1khz)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.065 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com