Gear / Technical Help > Photo / Video Recording

Photo Editing Program

<< < (3/3)

allan:
I just finished off 3 rolls of 120 that ive had in backs for around 4 years.

Scooter123:
Affinity.  Modest price, you own it forever, and they upgrade it about once a year.  Its not as good as Photoshop, but pretty good.  I use it to take out unwanted artifacts (using clone tool), remove backgrounds, and edit in RAW format. 

DSatz:
I've used Photoshop Elements for about eight years; there are things that I like about it and things that I despise. I use only maybe 1/10 or 1/20 of its available menu commands. I certainly don't buy the new versions every year.

In general, do be prepared to have to learn some stuff. There are definitely things I wish I'd known sooner; I could have fixed more problems early on, and created fewer of them myself.

Much of the time when you rely on a program's built-in "intelligence" to fix a problem for you, it will "fix" what you didn't think was broken, and break what you thought was OK. Photoshop's "healing brush" tool, for example, can sometimes do remarkably useful things automatically and save oodles of time--but it can also act very stupidly and create harm, and often it's hard to see what's making it do one thing instead of the other. I use the "Undo" command in Photoshop Elements (Ctrl+Z) more often than any other command.

That said, I use it on picture files of scanned documents much more than conventional photos, like of people or pets or microphones, and they probably can't optimize everything for both uses equally well.

But still there is just too much corporate narcissism (or plain stupidity) built in. The default for resizing images is to specify the number of pixels for width and height; fine, but 99% of the time I want a particular percentage reduction, yet each time I open the "resize image" dialog, it flips back to pixels; it doesn't remember the last choice the user made. Each time I go to save a picture as a PNG file, it asks whether I want compressed or uncompressed; I would guess that at most only 1% of users EVER want uncompressed PNG, but there's no way to prevent that question from interrupting the process. And if one does upgrade to a new version, it overwrites all your saved preferences from the previously installed version, and you have to start all over again to override Adobe's defaults if you don't agree with them.

Plus if you load a group of files in a certain order, it then puts the focus on the last file you loaded rather the first--and after you save and close any file, it then advances to the last remaining file that you loaded, rather than to the next one in the sequence after the one you just worked on. I can't imagine who would possibly benefit from that.

--best regards

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version