Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Headphones recommendations (100$)  (Read 2985 times)

Offline restevezes

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
Headphones recommendations (100$)
« on: May 20, 2009, 08:46:45 PM »
I know this has been discussed many times, but I want to buy some new headphones for listening at home (not critical listening, i will have them plugged on my computer where i listen most of my music), and based on the headphone.com top 10 list and some of the threads here, i came across the following models:

Sennheiser HD555
Sennheiser HD280 Pro
Sony MD7506/V6
Grado SR80i

All of them are about the same price (90$)

Little bit cheaper
SR60i
Beyerdynamic DT235

I was really looking forward to get the Grado's after reading so many things about them, but i really dislike their layout. Aren’t  they unconfortable or too light for the ears?
I am more geared toward something more „full body“  like the ones above.

Anyone who had or compared these models and can say if one is objectively better than other?
Are they really worth the extra money over the SR60i range? Any other suggestions would be appreciated too

Thanks

Offline Kevin Straker

• The Shogun of Easley
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Headphones recommendations (100$)
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 09:58:12 AM »
I own and prefer the Sony phones in that price range.
People on ludes should not drive...
J. Spicoli

mk4,mk21>kc5>cmc6>V3>SD722

Offline spaceboy_psy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • Always expect the inevitable
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 04:44:13 PM »
I bought a pair of HD280s a while ago. I'd heard that the bass was 'fuller' in ATH-M50s but the Senns were that bit cheaper so I got them. First listen - Where's my BASS?? God damnit! Popped em on ebay, got the ATH-M50s and wow, they are the most expensive headphones I've ever used so I guess I can't judge by price range, but they damn well are the best headphones I've used too. Such even response, so natural and clear, round full bass, smooth mids, crisp treble. Virtually perfect!

'YMMV' or somesuch silly acronym...

I'd highly recommend you spend that little bit extra on these, anything else will niggle you for the rest of your life! [HD280s - where's my bass?, MDR7506 - what's that presence peak doing in my ear? etc.. ATH-M50s - mmmmm that's what music sounds like.... *bliss*]

Offline restevezes

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 04:56:11 PM »
Thanks for the tip

These got my attention when researching, but I wanted to stay under 100$.
Now that I looked again thery are available on Ebay for 99$ and free shipping. Too good to be true? Anyone heard horror stories about fake headphones produced in China sold on Ebay (a la Sennheiser)?

Thanks

Offline spaceboy_psy

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Always expect the inevitable
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 05:58:00 PM »
shitting hell that's good.

I haven't heard any such horror stories myself - I prescribe a semi-thorough google investigation

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2009, 10:20:31 PM »
Seconded on the Audio-Technica ATH-M50.  Awesome headphones.  I got mine from an authorized dealer on ebay for $130.  Great stuff.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline bgreen

• Taperssection Member
  • Live music taper and archivist
    • Live Music Preservation Project
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2009, 12:36:36 PM »
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/576330-REG/Denon_AH_D1001S_AH_D1001_Advanced_Around_Ear_Stereo.html

I love dennon's headphones. I've since moved to there higher end, but these are great bang for buck

heres a good reference for cans if you like comparing specs ect

http://www.headphone.com/technical/product-measurements/build-a-graph/

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2009, 08:18:10 PM »
I have no experience from which to draw a comparison but I like my SR80s with an X-CAN V2
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline rjp

• Taperssection Member
  • You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2009, 08:27:28 PM »
My experience with Grado SR60s has been that they're very comfortable once (a) you've bent the headband for best fit, and (b) the ear pads are broken in. The SR80 has the "bowl" style pads, which I have no experience with; the SR80i (I think) has the SR60-style pads.

I also have a set of Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro/80s as well. I usually use the SR60s with my portable player or my laptop because they're far easier to drive, while the Beyers are plugged into my E-MU 0404 USB for desktop use.

I'd recommend either set of 'phones. The Grados' strength is midrange, while the Beyers have very strong bass when you need it. If you need isolation, the Grados are not for you, since they're completely open to outside sound and also let anyone next to you hear what you're playing.

Both need some break-in to reach their full potential, but not a ridiculous amount.
Mics: AKG Perception 170, Naiant X-X, Sound Professionals SP-TFB-2
Preamps: Naiant Littlebox
Recorders: Olympus LS-10
Interfaces: Focusrite Saffire Pro 14, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.082 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com