Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: usb interface with S/PDIF output... anyone ever use the ESI-Audio Dr. DAC nano  (Read 9015 times)

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My show list
In the near future, I'm going to be looking for a USB interface for audio playback.  My only requirements are:

(1) connects to a Windows computer (most likely running Windows 7) via USB 2.0.  No PCI cards, no firewire...  must be USB 2.0.

(2) has bit-perfect S/PDIF (or AES) output.  It could be coax, optical, XLR (for AES), whatever kind of connection, it doesn't matter.  But it needs to be bit-perfect S/PDIF (or AES).

(3) support for 24 bit / 96 kHz stereo files.

I was checking out the ESI Audio Dr. DAC nano, and it seems to fit all of my needs.
http://www.esi-audio.com/products/drdacnano/
and it's only $70 (I think).  Less expensive is a good thing here.

Does anyone have experience with this?  I know ESI makes some quality soundcards, so that's a good thing.  Does anyone have any input?  Thoughts?  other products I should look at?

Thanks,
Jason
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 02:52:53 PM by JasonSobel »

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Jimna

• Zappa for President
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Audio DeutchKraft & Busman Audio
    • F.M.Record Company
thats pricy, sexy but pricy all the same
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 07:32:48 PM by Jimna »
Co-Founder of F.M.Recording 
SD: Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > Grace Lunatec V3 > Busman Hybrid R4
LD: ADK A-51TL MP > Busman Hybrid R4
+ 48 Channel Multi-track rig

Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 2x Extender Mark III, Canon 15mm f2.8, Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM, Canon 100mm Macro f2.8, Canon 16-35mm L f2.8, Canon 24-70mm L f/2.8, Canon 70-200mm L f2.8 IS, Canon ST-E2, Canon 580ex II (x2), Canon 430ex II, PocketWizard PLUS II(x4), Radiopopper PX System

http://jmimna.com/

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST
-FZ

Offline JasonSobel

• My show list
yes, I am aware of the bel canto "USB Link 24/96".
but I don't want to shell out $500 for this.
I think the Bel Canto caters towards audiophiles who claim to be able to hear the difference between two different S/PDIF cables.  or even claim to know which USB cable sounds "the best".  In other words, I think I can get something that will easily fit my needs and perform reliably, for a lot less than $500.  something like the Dr. DAC nano that I referenced in the first post, perhaps...

any other thoughts or suggestions?

Offline Tim

I like that Dr. DAC, hadn't seen that before.

Nothing along those lines in any of the mags I get. Have you checked "Affordable Audio"? http://www.affordableaudio.org/
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
Buy one of these and tell me how it sounds...  The guy that builds them lives in my neighborhood, but I've never met him.  If only I had the loot...

http://www.kandkaudio.com/digitalaudio.html

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline JasonSobel

• My show list
Have you checked "Affordable Audio"? http://www.affordableaudio.org/

I haven't looked through "Affordable Audio" at all.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Buy one of these and tell me how it sounds...  The guy that builds them lives in my neighborhood, but I've never met him.  If only I had the loot...

http://www.kandkaudio.com/digitalaudio.html

Terry

Terry, the K&K Audio site looks interesting, but unfortunately, the USB to S/PDIF kit only supports sample rates up to 48 kHz, and won't do 96kHz.  so that's out as an option.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Offline Tim

Not to be the annoying guy who disregards your clearly stated criteria but if you can sacrifice spdif out the Music Streamer+ (and its little brother) has gotten good reviews,
http://www.musicdirect.com/product/85279

Offline JasonSobel

• My show list
Tim,

Not annoying at all, because I do like to hear everyone's thoughts and suggestions.  However, a couple of points.  That Music Streamer+ looks like it's limited to 16/48, so that's another knock against it.  I am also aware that there are several USB DAC's that can handle 24/96 that could potentially be good solutions.

But at this point, I want to continue to use my Grace 901.  Mostly because it is so awesome and it sounds great.  Both the 901 DAC and pre-amp are fantastic.  And I really like the sound I've got with the 901 in combination with my Channel Islands monoblocks and VR-1 speakers.  All around, I think the sound is awesome, and I don't want to change a thing, other than using a computer as the source instead of my Denon DVD player.  For the source computer, we're going to get a Dell Zino in the next month or so (either as a holiday gift, or purchased with holiday gift money).  That way, we can also stream video from the web directly to our TV via the HDMI out.  both the web streaming video and the small form factor is what makes the WAF so high with this one.  but there's no room for PCI cards, which is why I need to find a USB 2.0 solution to get S/PDIF out to the 901. :)

- Jason

Offline Tim

ahh crap, I thought it did 24 bit. Doh!

I'm with you, I love my dac and don't have any interest in going to usb->rca.

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
Since I'm going to be moving to a laptop here soon, and want to keep my current DAC (non USB), I'm in the same situation. 

The EDI-Audio unit looks nice, but I'm not 100% comfortable with using optical on a regular basis.

I've been curious about this, http://tinyurl.com/yf8ls2t, and mentioned it in another thread.  Lots of discussion on headfi about it, too.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 04:07:45 PM by AudBall »
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant
aercomp2 ■ v2∞3 ■ sx-m2d2
d100 ■ pmd661 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline JasonSobel

• My show list
Since I'm going to be moving to a laptop here soon, and want to keep my current DAC (non USB), I'm in the same situation. 

The EDI-Audio unit looks nice, but I'm not 100% comfortable with using optical on a regular basis.

I've been curious about this, http://tinyurl.com/yf8ls2t, and mentioned it in another thread.  Lots of discussion on headfi about it, too.

thanks for the link and suggestion.  I haven't read through all of the head-fi discussion yet, it'll probably take me a few days to get through all that.

However, my first thoughts on the Musiland Monitor 01 USD (relative to the ESI-Audio Dr. DAC nano) are:

(1) I don't mind optical at all for home listening.  At a show is a different story, but at home, it'll be steady, won't be moved around, so I think it's be solid.  In fact, I already use the optical S/PDIF out of my DVD player to my DAC (because the coax S/PDIF is connected to my DAT deck).

(2) I have prior experiense with ESI Audio (I used to own a WaveTerminal 2496 PCI soundcard).  It was a great card, and I trust the company.  The Musiland looks like it's a small operation, and not from an established company with a good reputation.  That isn't to say that the Musiland is bad or not a good option, just that I'd rather buy a product from a company that's been around for a while, so if I need service or support down the road (5 years? more?), there's a good chance that the company will still be around.

all that said, I think there are close to 50 pages on head-fi about the Musiland, so it's certainly a lot to read through, and maybe my opinion will be swayed in one direction or another.

Offline audBall

All good points.  The ultimate question is, are these devices bit-perfect?  I just shot an email to the Musiland seller.  Hopefully I'll hear back soon.

Offline JasonSobel

• My show list
please share anything you head from the Musiland seller (positive or negative).

In regards to the ESI Audio device, in the specs (contained on the link in my first post) -

16bit/24bit, 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 96kHz bit-perfect support
NON-PCM (Dolby Digital/dts) Pass Through support

the fact that ESI lists "bit perfect support" in the second line of the specs leads me to believe that the are aware that this is something that people care about.  Of course, I might be reading into that a little too much, but even so, it's a good sign that they come right out and say that it's bit-perfect.

Offline audBall

Quick response from the seller of the Musiland states that it IS bit-perfect.

Is there a US distributor for the ESI? 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.341 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com