Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: HD Radio (table style)?  (Read 2955 times)

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • #TeamRetired
HD Radio (table style)?
« on: January 10, 2010, 04:54:51 PM »
We have a table radio in our kitchen (a Tivoli Model 1 which we like) that seems to have a power problem. So since it's dying, I've been given the nerd task of looking up and figuring out what to get for a new one, or if we should try and procure another Model 1 (which isn't HD). Budget is sub-$250.

I wouldn't upgrade to HD radio, but if we have to get a new radio anyway, then I'm open to the consideration as our local NPR station which is primarily what we listen to has multiple HD streams.

So far, I've seen the Visteon HD Pulse which has a similar motif, but I'm curious if there is anything else out there that people would suggest.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
Re: HD Radio (table style)?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 12:01:50 PM »
Not sure on the HD radio side of things, but you may want to consider a Squeezebox Radio or Boom. They'll play all the internet radio stations, plus any audio you have on your computer.

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 01:22:18 PM »
Not sure on the HD radio side of things, but you may want to consider a Squeezebox Radio or Boom. They'll play all the internet radio stations, plus any audio you have on your computer.

I thought about the radio, but the Livio radio which NPR is pitching does that and FM, and is comparable in price, and the boom is out of the price range for this. As much as putting a squeezebox system in the house would be cool (and it's on my list), it doesn't fit with the object or budget this go around.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

Offline BC

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Bongo Bongo
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 02:36:24 PM »
not interested in trying to get the old Tivoli fixed? Might be fairly cheap...
In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 02:47:43 PM »
not interested in trying to get the old Tivoli fixed? Might be fairly cheap...

That is definately an option, before we spend any cash on geting a new radio, I'll get a price quote. There is some strange electrical short that only manifests itself about every other time you turn it on, sort of like a bad ground connection and it builds up charge until it just overflows to the speaker.  :-\

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 04:51:50 PM »
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 05:06:49 PM »
why an HD radio?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HD_Radio#Criticisms

ultimately, we are looking a replacement that does FM, but the number of HD tuners that don't support FM are vastly smaller then Internet/shoutcast radios that don't support FM. We have 2 NPR/Independant programming stations** which we listen to, one has FM only, the other has 2 HD streams. If we get an HD radio that does FM well, then thats great, but otherwise I'd consider chucking the HD part and going with an internet radio as long as it does FM well. I'd use the HD streams on the one station more then I would internet radio even with the plethoria of choices, but neither would be used as much as a standard FM tuner which is what we have now.

So really, the question is, given the motif of a Tivoli table radio, what other FM radios that have modern technology and options are there?

** For the record, they are WRIR and WCVE.  :)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.06 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com