Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: How To Pick a DAC?  (Read 10546 times)

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: How To Pick a DAC?
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2010, 12:49:49 PM »
wish they had picked different names :lol:

I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Since85

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2010, 09:17:19 PM »
Has anyone checked out the PS Audio Perfectwave DAC? This thing is awesome! In a few weeks, the bridge will be available for it, and it will work like a very high end Squeezebox type device. I would love opinions on this unit.
 :)

Offline live2496

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Gidluck Mastering
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2010, 12:58:39 PM »
Whatever I get, I will be sending data to it from a PCI card in the computer.  I was going to go with the inexpensive M-audio Audiophile 192, but the Benchmark folks tell me it does something to the data stream. i.e. it isn't bit-transparent. 

They recommend a card by Lynx Studio ... have any of you tried their products?

Not sure what the issue is with the Audiophile 192. (jitter?)

Here is a recent thread on Brad Blackwood's Mastering forum on soundcards used. RME and Lynx are both popular.
http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/t/30742/12697/

Gordon

AEA R88MKII > SPL Crimson 3 > Tascam DA-3000

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2010, 12:55:14 AM »
As for NWA's Straight Outta Compton as a test CD ... they'd shit if I took that to a local specialty audiophile shop. I almost want to now, just for the reaction. :) 

You might be surprised at the reception you get.  Most smaller shops are well aware of the better mixed releases and appreciate them regardless of genre.  I was shocked at the positive reception I got when I brought in some of my better panic recordings ;-)
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline scervin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2010, 11:50:12 AM »
I'd also consider the Rick Cullen modified PS audio dac.
http://www.cullencircuits.com/webapps/site/67005/78076/shopping/shopping-plus.html?find_groupid=9539

Or the Wavelength Brick or proton dacs
http://www.usbdacs.com/

Cullen is relasing a couple new DAC's under the Wyred4sound brand.  Both are based on the ESS Sabre chip and the DAC-2 will have volume control and HT bypass.  After waiting forever on a used Empirical Audio Overdrive or Berkeley Alpha, I'm going to pick this DAC-2 up for $1500.  Hoping it sounds as good as everyone expects.  Cullen will also be offering I2S upgrades to various transports as support.

Offline heath

• Laugh it up, Fuzzball...
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2010, 07:50:01 PM »
Mytek FTW.  I've got three 8X192ADDA's at the studio now, and wouldn't trade em for anything (except maybe a DAD or Prism).  With regard to cards, I've used both the Lynx cards and RME cards without fail for years.  Currently running RME AES32 cards in all my boxes, but would not hesitate to move back to Lynx if the price and application were right.

And the Sultans... yeah the Sultans play creole

The Upstream Mend

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2010, 12:04:18 AM »
I'm very happy with my Benchmark DAC1.  Have it paired with a HT Omega Claro audio card, which has digi-outs.  Cleanest, most accurate, sounding system I've ever owned.   
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 11:37:40 PM by spyder9 »

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2010, 06:56:05 PM »
I'd also consider the Rick Cullen modified PS audio dac.
http://www.cullencircuits.com/webapps/site/67005/78076/shopping/shopping-plus.html?find_groupid=9539

Or the Wavelength Brick or proton dacs
http://www.usbdacs.com/

Cullen is relasing a couple new DAC's under the Wyred4sound brand.  Both are based on the ESS Sabre chip and the DAC-2 will have volume control and HT bypass.  After waiting forever on a used Empirical Audio Overdrive or Berkeley Alpha, I'm going to pick this DAC-2 up for $1500.  Hoping it sounds as good as everyone expects.  Cullen will also be offering I2S upgrades to various transports as support.

Cullen's son, Patrick, sells bigass custom power cables on Audiogon on the side.  Very impressed with the craftsmanship. 

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2010, 11:21:49 PM »
I'm surprised we've gotten 15+ replies and not mentioned the Lavry DA10 or DA11.
I spaced on it for my first reply.

Btw, I've heard OFOTD's comment's echoed elsewhere.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline StuStu

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2010, 07:20:44 PM »
I'm also surprised that the Lucid DA 9624 hasn't been mentioned. I have both the Lucid and the Mytek Stereo 96. While I prefer the Mytek, the Lucid is an excellent DAC as well.
MK5, MK8, MK41, KM184D, CK77, B3 ---CMD 2U XT, KC5, KCY, AKI---KCY Tinybox, Ugly BB---AETA 4MinX, PMD661 MKII, R-26, M-10, MR-1

Offline jzahr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2010, 06:11:42 AM »
The original poster should also consider Daniel Weiss products. Its DAC202 connects to the pc via firewire, but also supports input from s/pdif and toslink. Ther is also a studio oriented DAC2, without volume control.

http://www.weiss-highend.ch/dac202/index.html
http://www.weiss.ch/dac2/dac2.htm

Cheers

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.067 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com