Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: SACD/DVD-A playback  (Read 2278 times)

Offline shane

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
SACD/DVD-A playback
« on: April 09, 2006, 01:47:20 PM »
This may seem like a stupid question but do you need to have a digital connection to get the most out of an SACD or DVD-A disc?  I only listen to them in 2 channel stereo so are standard RCA cables enough or do I need a coax or optical hookup to carry the additional info?  I know that RCAs work but am I missing something but not going w/ digi I/Os.  I'm only asking because 90% of the time I listen to to CDs on my playback setup Denon 2910> RCAs> Jolida 1501RC.  Obviouslythe Jolida does not have digital inputs so I'm wondering if I should add something to my system for higher resolution formats.  Thanks for any input.

Shane
« Last Edit: April 10, 2006, 01:43:25 PM by shane »

Offline jpschust

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Padres Rule Your Face
Re: SACD/DVD-A playback
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2006, 02:01:46 PM »
sacd only outputs on an analog set of outs (at least on every player i've used), so no :)
Quote from: Todd Snider
They say 3 percent of the people use 5 to 6 percent of their brain
97 percent use 3 percent and the rest goes down the drain
I'll never know which one I am but I'll bet you my last dime
99 percent think with 3 percent 100 percent of the time

Offline BC

• Bongo Bongo
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2006, 01:45:55 AM »
Some SACD players can output an encyrypted digital signal (typically over IEEE 1394??)  but you will need a specially compatible receiver to decode it. I am sure taking the analog outs is fine.

As for digi out from DVD-a, depending on the disc and player, sometimes you can get a full resolution 24/96 digital bitstream, other times you will get a downsampled 24/48 signal.

In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline shane

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2006, 11:45:43 AM »
As for digi out from DVD-a, depending on the disc and player, sometimes you can get a full resolution 24/96 digital bitstream, other times you will get a downsampled 24/48 signal.

So the player will downsample the signal before sending it?  If this is the case, you guys think I might benefit from an external DAC?

Shane

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2006, 12:44:10 PM »
Analog out your getting the full bit depth from the internal DAC of the player.

If you use an extrenal DAC it will do the samething just bypass the internal DAC of the player itself. Going digi out of your player may cause issues with playback of SACD or not play at all depending on the player as well as any copy-protected DVD-A (which may down sample to 24/48 over digi).

If you like the sound of your DVD-A palyer no reason to use an external DAC for this purpose.

I recently picked up a Pioneer Elite 45 and love the way it sounds. I have the optical hooked up for movies and can switch between the 2 sources (RCA, Optical) at the touch of a button. When I am playing back regular CDs (16/44.1) I switch between the 2 and found that I MU+CH prefer the DAC in the pioneer to the DAC in my Marantz
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline shane

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2006, 02:30:29 PM »
I think my setup sounds great however I always wonder would it sound better w/ an external DAC or different speaker wire or something else like that where its going to cost me just find out that its no better.  It really sucks to have an expensive hobby.  I know before I do anything I need to upgrade my speakers.  I'm using a set of 10yr old Polk RT35i bookshelfs for now as I have been for.....well ten years. 

Shane

Offline BC

• Bongo Bongo
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2006, 02:43:00 PM »
I know before I do anything I need to upgrade my speakers.  I'm using a set of 10yr old Polk RT35i bookshelfs for now as I have been for.....well ten years. 

Shane

Agree totally here, I would definitely upgrade speakers to the best you can afford before upgrading amplification, convertors, or interconnects.
In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.227 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com