Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: I don't know how i went without a sub until now  (Read 2233 times)

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Stomach Full of Regret
I don't know how i went without a sub until now
« on: October 14, 2006, 11:20:53 AM »
I haven't ever had a subwoofer in my playback until yesterday.  I always kinda thought that my speakers had enough low-end punch for my tastes.  until recently, HT hadn't been as much of a priority so i didn't really care about not having chest thumping effects expolosions.  well now that i've had the DefTech Supercube 2 in my system for 24 hours, i can say that everything is superior and I'm not even sure i've got the cross-overs dialed in just yet.  the HT experience is obviously improved but 2 channel music playback is surprisingly improved in all aspects.  it sounds more detailed and the imaging is better.  it seems that maybe taking away some of the low-end responsibility from the mains has allowed them to do a better job on the rest of the frequency range (can this be right?).  the sub is very quick and musical, not overpowering and nice and tight.  it's got plenty of thump if i want it.  Now I really can't wait to get my arcam receiver in the next week or so.  (then i'll probably have to upgrade my digital front-end, but that can wait).

Offline bluegrass_brad

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Old and in the way.
Re: I don't know how i went without a sub until now
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2006, 11:23:24 AM »
it seems that maybe taking away some of the low-end responsibility from the mains has allowed them to do a better job on the rest of the frequency range (can this be right?). 

This is definitely the way it works with PA systems, so Im sure it would have this effect at home as well.
CK1x, CK2x, CK3x > Hub Industry Cables > Naiant PFA or MK46 > 460B
CK1, CK8, CK63 > 460b

"That was back in a time when society was not quite ready for this music. Anyone remember those days? That's when punk rock was dangerous, right?" - Mike Ness

Offline jhirte

• Trade Count: (0)
  • At ease atleast yeah.
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2006, 11:38:39 AM »
Nice nice!!!! I've got full deftech system at home - mains 7004's, center CLR2500, surrounds bp 1.2x. Since the mains and center have powered subs I really dont need a seperate powered sub, but fuck man, more bass would rule!!! haah :)

Congrats on the purchase. Def Tech definetly a good way to go!!

-Jim

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2006, 11:41:59 AM »
I love my sub.  However, my system would have no low end without it.  But, it allowed me to get some mains that were much better for highs and mids, and let the sub take care of the lows.

+T for toys
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Invisible

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2006, 11:52:17 PM »
it seems that maybe taking away some of the low-end responsibility from the mains has allowed them to do a better job on the rest of the frequency range (can this be right?). 

This is definitely the way it works with PA systems, so Im sure it would have this effect at home as well.

When you set the internal crossover in the reciever, (I suggest setting it at 80Hz) all frequencies lower than your setting will be output to your sub.

Offline Since85

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2006, 12:26:53 PM »
If you have a good quality powered sub, and a multichannel preamp, should you run speaker wire, or just a single RCA to the sub? What if you have 2 mono RCA sub out channels on the preamp, would it be better to use a little "jumper" to feed the single RCA cable?

Also, must the power plug on the sub go to the same strip/outlet as the rest of the stereo, to avoid and ground looping issues?

???

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2006, 01:48:07 PM »
Is this just to win the war against your neighbor with bad musical taste?
Out of the game … for now?

Offline Invisible

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2006, 02:12:28 PM »
If you have a good quality powered sub, and a multichannel preamp, should you run speaker wire, or just a single RCA to the sub? What if you have 2 mono RCA sub out channels on the preamp, would it be better to use a little "jumper" to feed the single RCA cable?

Also, must the power plug on the sub go to the same strip/outlet as the rest of the stereo, to avoid and ground looping issues?

???

I would always recommend going with the LFE out (single RCA) on your reciever to the LFE input on your powered sub rather than going with speaker level. This bypasses the internal crossover in the subwoofer and utilizes the crossover in your surround reciever.

Are the two mono sub outputs on your receiver intended to run 2 seperate subs? If they are indeed two mono outputs, and not a stereo output, I would guess that is what they are intended for. you should be fine running a single cable and not using a "Y" type adapter. Hope I understood you correctly.

It is always nice to have all of your equipment plugged into the same 20amp circiut if at all possible. If your sub is on a different circiut and it is not currently making any noise, I'd say you are fine.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.065 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com