Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: MG N-Box signup thread  (Read 22780 times)

Offline ShawnF

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: MG N-Box signup thread
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2010, 12:54:18 PM »
I'm interested enough to follow this closely.  Actual purchase would hinge on the price.

Offline dbindc

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2010, 01:22:54 PM »
I seem to remember someone posting a few years back - Oleg I think, that it was possible to use MBHO capsules on Gefell bodies.  Think they are both 21mm, similar threads and single connecting pin.  I always wanted to try it but could never convince the only taper I know with MG200's to let me test it.  Anyhow if this is true I wonder if it would be possible to use the MBHO colettes as a vehicle to send signal to this proposed MG box.
Gefell M300, DPA 4022 and 4061
MBHO 603A/648 + KA200, KA500, KA100DK, KA400, KA800, K20, vintage MB omni & cardioid capsules under Peerless and Unitra brands  Audix SCX1  Josephson branded MBHO/Peerless 640
preamps and recorders SD MP2 Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox  Edirol R44  Sony M10 CA-Ugly

Offline JD

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2010, 01:30:36 PM »
I seem to remember someone posting a few years back - Oleg I think, that it was possible to use MBHO capsules on Gefell bodies.  Think they are both 21mm, similar threads and single connecting pin.  I always wanted to try it but could never convince the only taper I know with MG200's to let me test it.  Anyhow if this is true I wonder if it would be possible to use the MBHO colettes as a vehicle to send signal to this proposed MG box.

I tried this with Otheronek's MBHO bodies and my gefell caps, the threads are close but not close enough. Forcing the two together would probably result in threads being damaged.
Mics: DPA 4022, 4060; Nevaton MC51, MCE400; Gefell sms2000, m20, m21, m27
Pres: DPA MMA6000; Grace V2; Portico 5012; Sonosax SX-M2
Recorders: Edirol R09hr, Sound Devices 722

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2010, 06:23:04 PM »
dont own geffels, but i like the idea, and would be in for a box depending on price.
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline ingsy

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2010, 08:04:56 PM »
::wishes he never sold his MGs::

count me in.
Mics: AKG C 414 B-XL II/ST, Nevaton MCE 400
Other: M148, AD-500e, AD-1000, ACM PMD 660, R09-HR, JB3

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2010, 08:11:41 PM »
How do we know this isn't going to sound spitty? :P

Offline bish

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2010, 09:27:46 PM »
Count me in i would love that !!

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2010, 08:09:38 AM »
As with Todd, it would depend on price.  Also, I have been so accustomed to running full bodies for so long that I don't know what the actual benefit would be to run actives.  Finally, I would not want anything that would cause the cable to be hard-wired to the capsule.  If I can remove the capsules, fine, but hard-wiring is a deal breaker for me.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline Myco

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2010, 09:27:07 AM »
As with Todd, it would depend on price.  Also, I have been so accustomed to running full bodies for so long that I don't know what the actual benefit would be to run actives.  Finally, I would not want anything that would cause the cable to be hard-wired to the capsule.  If I can remove the capsules, fine, but hard-wiring is a deal breaker for me.

The capsules would screw on just like on a normal microphone body and would be removable. The main advantage would be a reduction in overall size and allow you to use your gefell's in less than open taping situations, at least as far as I understand it.  ;)

below are some pix of a Nbox with Schoeps capsules attached.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 09:32:41 AM by Myco »
Microtech Gefell M200: M20/M21/M27 caps> Bumblebee MiAGi-II/Darktrain silver cable's/"Chuck" Belden cables> Aerco MP-2 or Busman modded DR-680 pre-amps> Darktrain cables & interconnects> Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod)
AT853's(card's/hyper's)>AT8533x>Aerco MP-2>Sony M10

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2010, 09:48:27 AM »

bip bip

;D

hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2010, 09:11:38 AM »

Any new developments?

:)

Offline JD

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2010, 12:35:16 PM »
Any new developments?

I received Myco's JK Lab box last week, Haven't really had the time to play with it yet. I did take the cover off on the inside, and I must say, I am amazed at how little circuitry is in that box. Looks to be a small shrunk-wrapped battery of some sorts, and just a dozen or so caps and resistors. Most of the circuit looks to be for the stepped pot that is a variable HPF. Almost looks too simple.

My plans for this box are as follows.

First I want to do a blind comparison of this box verses the gefell bodies and see how there compare.
second, I want to try make some frequency graphs of the comps and see how they compare.
Then, I will attempt to reverse engineer the circuit, and take it to someone with the know-how to suggest improvements.

FYI, the JK Labs box is as follows:

--one channel in via 4 pin plug(should be able to just double everything for two channels)
--1/4" TRS out (wired to two XLR's)
--has a 3.5 mini out
--has no on/off switch (inside the unit it says to remove the cap when not in use)
--has no gain
--has a 6 position rotary switch for 6 different base roll-offs (I am assuming one is unity)
--runs on one 9V and is marked as having a 350 hour battery life!!!!
--has a current draw of 1.5 mah
--the box measures 1 1/4" X 2 3/8" X 4 3/8" (there is a lot of unused space inside, so I'm guessing a two channel unit would be somewhere around 50% larger)
--there looks to be a battery pack of some sort permanently wired inside. I kind of remember Bill telling me that his R-boxes had something like twelve watch batteries in series to make a polarization voltage??? for the caps, and that there was almost no current involved so the batteries would literally last for many years, I'm guessing that is the case here as well)

All Good Things in all Good Time.
Mics: DPA 4022, 4060; Nevaton MC51, MCE400; Gefell sms2000, m20, m21, m27
Pres: DPA MMA6000; Grace V2; Portico 5012; Sonosax SX-M2
Recorders: Edirol R09hr, Sound Devices 722

Offline Myco

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2010, 12:41:28 PM »
Thank you for all of your efforts Jamie!  ;D
Microtech Gefell M200: M20/M21/M27 caps> Bumblebee MiAGi-II/Darktrain silver cable's/"Chuck" Belden cables> Aerco MP-2 or Busman modded DR-680 pre-amps> Darktrain cables & interconnects> Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod)
AT853's(card's/hyper's)>AT8533x>Aerco MP-2>Sony M10

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2010, 02:51:00 PM »
Thank you for all of your efforts Jamie!  ;D

^^

I second that emotion!  Thank you Jamie!!

;D

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2010, 03:18:55 PM »
I have one of the original two RBoxes Bill built.  That is the schematic used for the NBox.  The RBox was an evolution of a box built for Nak 700's.  Between Bill and Nick there is little doubt in my mind that a kick ass box will be built.  As long as there is enough interest to justify the development this will happen. 

Nick just lent me an NBox to travel with it to record Clapton Winwood in Europe.  Slick design.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.092 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com