Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Windscreens for Audio Technica AT3032 AT3031  (Read 6984 times)

Offline digifish_music

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
Re: Windscreens for Audio Technica AT3032
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2008, 06:41:43 PM »
Thanks for the comment that you're using a CineCity blimp.  I can't find a decent windscreen solution for my AKG C34, and one of the CineCity blimps - while a bit more than I'd like to spend, at least not out of reach like the Rycotes - just might be the best option I have right now.  Only catch right now is the mic holders, even the larger 20-25mm ones, aren't quite big enough (the C34 is 25.4mm, so maybe it'll squeeze in, dunno yet).

The NT4 has the same problem (heavy @ 480g and fat @ 23mm) , solved by

1. Doubling the rubbers on the cradle.
2. Connecting a rubber band over the top of the mic (suggestion from fellow taper).

The suspension clips are very flexible plastic and so won't break if stretched wide open. The extra 2 mm on your mic will be even more of a stretch, but a couple of rubber bands like I have should keep it all together. Alternatively you could ditch the cradles altogether and string a X of twisted heavy rubber bands in the suspension ring and slip the mic in the middle.

The CineCity blimp is built to a price, and your mileage may vary, but I have 2 and am very happy with them. You do get a bunch of spare rubber bands and three sets of clips (different sizes) with the blimp and the fake fur cover. They certainly would not work in a commercial environment where the guy who was using the blimp didn't pay for it :)

This is what sent me on a quest for more wind-protection. The NT4 is in one of the blimps, and I have 2X AT3032's in the boot of the car to keep them out of the wind, the foams that came with the AT3032's just couldn't cope with the breeze that day. I recently got an R44 so started doing 4 channel field recordings.

http://www.freesound.org/samplesViewSingle.php?id=54963

I had the AT3032's in the boot to record the bass frequencies and keep them out of the wind, not ideal. So I will set them up either side of the blimp next time and do some nice matrix stuff.

digifish
« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 10:32:39 PM by digifish_music »
- What's this knob do?

Offline digifish_music

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
Re: Windscreens for Audio Technica AT3032
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2008, 06:09:32 AM »
Well, thanks to all who provided input, they arrived today.

I went with the MicroPuffin from Micover Windscreens as seen below.

They seem well made and should prove durable, they came with a bonus comb to keep the fur in fluffy condition :) The people at Micover Windshields are friendly and give great service (unexpected discount for multiple orders).

I have not had much time to experiment, but they seem to work (as expected) excellently, will post a YouTube demo video soon. 

Like all these things, it's difficult to imagine they cost more than $5-10 to manufacture, but they are low volume speciality items for a market used to paying $$$. That and they are about 1/2 the price of the Rycote Softies and so are definitely the value proposition in this category.

digifish.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 06:18:16 AM by digifish_music »
- What's this knob do?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com