Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DPA - Battery box for microdot connectors  (Read 1945 times)

Offline dynamicalories

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
DPA - Battery box for microdot connectors
« on: January 23, 2024, 06:19:12 PM »
Hey guys,

I've got a pair of DPA 4061's that I've been plugging into the d:vice > my iPhone. Thinking of moving to a more traditional digital recorder setup. If I did that, what battery boxes are currently available that take the microdot connectors?

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
Re: DPA - Battery box for microdot connectors
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2024, 07:42:34 PM »
MMA-6000 d:vice are only ones I know of with native microdot support. Maybe you could find a used Church Audio preamp that uses them but I don’t think there are many out there.

I’m going to terminate my 4661s in a locking 3.5mm connector once the new Deity recorder is available - no battery box needed.
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

Offline SMsound

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2024, 09:25:40 PM »
The DPA MMA6000 is a preamp + battery box. I have it and it's great. Small-ish but exactly tiny though.

DPA also makes a battery-box-only version but I don't know the model number.  Joe Naiant also makes custom PFA's for these mics. Voltronic went that route see his post lower down in this thread:

https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=198847.0
waves -> bits

Offline dynamicalories

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2024, 10:26:47 PM »
Thanks guys. Wish DPA provided more options. Seems like this is going to be a hassle and I should just stick with my d:vice and iPhone setup.

Online breakonthru

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2024, 05:56:33 AM »
Thanks guys. Wish DPA provided more options. Seems like this is going to be a hassle and I should just stick with my d:vice and iPhone setup.
id recommend it

church doesnt make them with microdots anymore and the DPA MPS6030 is as rare as hen's teeth. the MPS6010 (xlr out) is far more common. easier to adapt the microdots to standard connectors than to try to find an interface with microdot connectors

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2024, 06:57:30 AM »
If you can find a MMA 6000 they are excellent preamps!  I have been using one with my 4011 & 4018 caps using MMP GR cables with awesome results.  I can get around 20 hours off one 9v rechargeable battery.  My WSP St. Louis 1/18 & 1/20 sources using this rig are on etree.org if you are interested.  Still working on 1/19
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER | Neumann kk 184 (matched)> Nbob/PFA
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline dynamicalories

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2024, 08:47:43 AM »
id recommend it

church doesnt make them with microdots anymore and the DPA MPS6030 is as rare as hen's teeth. the MPS6010 (xlr out) is far more common. easier to adapt the microdots to standard connectors than to try to find an interface with microdot connectors

Appreciate the advice.

While we're on the topic of the d:vice, does it work with the newer USB-C iPhones? (Not that I have one, but just curious about the longevity of this thing.)

Offline grawk

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2024, 08:53:47 AM »
A possible solution might be to commission a small battery box that uses microdot instead of mini jack for input and 7.4v bias supply.  Or just take a 9v battery box and replace the minijacks with microdot:

https://www.centricrf.com/connectors/10-32-cable-pcb-connectors/
4015gs/4018vlgs/kk14->mma:a d-vice/sonosax minir82/sonosax sx-m2d2/nagra vi/lectrosonics spdr

Offline grawk

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2024, 08:54:18 AM »
id recommend it

Appreciate the advice.

While we're on the topic of the d:vice, does it work with the newer USB-C iPhones? (Not that I have one, but just curious about the longevity of this thing.)

Reports are it does not.
4015gs/4018vlgs/kk14->mma:a d-vice/sonosax minir82/sonosax sx-m2d2/nagra vi/lectrosonics spdr

Online breakonthru

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2024, 09:02:37 AM »
id recommend it

Appreciate the advice.

Reports are it does not.
i found my usb c-to-micro cable, will try next time i go into town, hopefully i can log into the store display phone and download dvice app

the cable does work with the usb-c port on my desktop. interesting enough under the presumably ALSA driver it shows two inputs, though they sound the same. i guess the signal format over usb is indeed S/PDIF
« Last Edit: January 24, 2024, 12:19:14 PM by breakonthru »

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2024, 09:05:25 AM »
There's also the option of having a breakout y-cable made (microdots > 1/8" trs). That way you can retain the microdot terminations of the mic cables and use a fairly standard 9-volt battery box with 1/8" input. It's an extra cable, but not bulky when paired with a tiny battery box roughly the size of the d:vice.
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant
aercomp2 ■ v2∞3 ■ sx-m2d2
d100 ■ pmd661 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Online breakonthru

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2024, 09:21:22 AM »
There's also the option of having a breakout y-cable made (microdots > 1/8" trs). That way you can retain the microdot terminations of the mic cables and use a fairly standard 9-volt battery box with 1/8" input. It's an extra cable, but not bulky when paired with a tiny battery box roughly the size of the d:vice.
these are cheap and common though id love to find a right angle

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2024, 09:22:57 AM »
DPA also makes a battery-box-only version but I don't know the model number.

MPS6010/6020/6030. I think that is XLR/RCA/3.5mm, respectively.

Another good option is to get a microdot to 3.5mm Y cable.

[Edit to add:] There is also an MPS6040, I think, with 1/4" output.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2024, 09:30:25 AM by aaronji »

Online breakonthru

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2024, 09:47:43 AM »
all of the obsolete MPS models are listed here

https://www.expandore.com/professional-audio/DPA/accessories/amplifiers-powersupplies/DPAAmpPow_4.htm

i have a printed manual somewhere

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2024, 09:54:06 AM »

Reports are it does not.

To be precise, reports are that the dpa app does not work, so you can't adjust levels.  But I believe you can set levels using an older iPhone and then record with, say, Metarecorder on the new iPhone.  Would love to hear if anyone is trying this.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.088 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com