Gear / Technical Help > Remote Power

Best 9v rechargeable setup?

<< < (2/18) > >>

MakersMarc:
Thanks a ton for all the info guys,

robeti:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WGCWIU?keywords=powerex%20stealth&qid=1445364131&ref_=sr_1_2&sr=8-2

Gutbucket:
^^^
That Amazon link is to the Powerex non-LSD version of the 9.6V (white case with yellow lettering).
The Imedion LSD version of the 9.6V has a black case with grey lettering. 

Both are manufactured by Maha.

Here's the specifics on the Imedion version at Thompson Distributing- http://www.thomasdistributing.com/Maha-Imedion-9V-96V-230-mAh-Low-Discharge-NIMH-Rechargeable-Battery_p_2455.html

Here's their package of charger + 3 Imedions, otherwise same as the Amazon deal- http://www.thomasdistributing.com/MAHA-MH-C490F-9-Volt-9V-Battery-Charger-with-Three-Maha-Imedion-96V-230-mAh-Batteries-with-World-Adapter-and-12V-Cord_p_851.html

tim in jersey:

--- Quote from: hi and lo on October 20, 2015, 12:31:16 PM ---The NiMH Imedion 9v's are excellent rechargeable batteries. Just make sure you get the 9.6v version for use with the nbox.

However, you need to be careful not to over-discharge them. The original nbox / reutelhuber uses a high current design, ~50 mA draw each from the two batteries powering the opamps, and does not have a low-voltage cutoff mechanism. As a result, it will easily discharge these batteries to < 1 v total, which is terrible for their longevity. Each 9.6v battery is comprised of 8 1.2v cells in series, so dropping the total voltage to < 1v is effectively lowering the voltage to ~.1 v per cell. Generally speaking, it is not a good practice to discharge a NiMH cell below .9v, so draining it down to .1v is about as bad as it gets.

I have 16 of these... The original 8 I bought 3-4 years ago have served me well, however I am now starting to see failures from over draining them. Some of the batteries now show physical changes (bulges, indents, etc.), but still seem to take a charge ok. Others are now completely dead and will not accept a charge.

If you're using the nbox platinum, the risk of over discharge is basically non-existent, unless you left them in the unit while turned on for several days / weeks. I doubt that they have added a low-voltage cutoff circuit. In comparison, the original nbox will discharge them to < 1v total in ~6 hours.

--- End quote ---

^ This is why I love ts.com. Ask a simple question and you get a detailed, technical answer, broken down in to laymans terms, which helps me further my understanding of electronics in general as well as the specific gear I'm running. Love this board. :)

tim in jersey:
Also I'm going to upgrade from the N-box to the N-box platinum by next year so I don't have to count/do math in the field during festival season. 1 set of batteries per day without worry sounds like a dream...

Not having to change batteries in the rain for an entire fest set sounds like a dream come true...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version