Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: M Audio Duo vs. Edirol UA-5 ???  (Read 3151 times)

Offline Jamtunes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
M Audio Duo vs. Edirol UA-5 ???
« on: December 28, 2003, 04:32:23 AM »
   Long story...short!!!   I got a mint laptop for x-mas and now all my stupid ass keeps doing is looking for info over the internet on concert recording.
   About three months ago, I started gathering relatively humble equipment to get involved in this hobby. I bought a pair of AKG C1000s from ebay, monster cables from Guitar Center, a 17 foot mic stand from micsupply.com, shock mounts, and unfortunately a sharp minidisc from my friend.
   I know I still have a lot more to buy, but if I'm understanding the technology correctly, I still need some sort of a/d converter. I don't believe that phantom power is an issue because the AKGs can be internally powered with a 9 volt battery. However, and please correct me if I'm wrong, I still need a way to get 24 bits of digital audio into my laptop. I believe that both the M Audio Duo or the Edirol UA-5 will do this? I'm just curious to know which one (in many of your expert's opinions) would you guys recommend? It seems like, from reading the forums, that no one has or uses the M Audio Duo. I remember reading an article at core-sound that the Edirol doesn't truly transfer in 24 bit and that Edirol admits it.
    Any advice or information on which one to choose would be great, and thanks!

cpclark

Re:M Audio Duo vs. Edirol UA-5 ???
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2003, 01:46:05 PM »
thats only in the transfer process that it supposedly isnt bit accurate, but if your putting your mics straight in the ua-5 and going into your laptop at 24 bit, it is bit accurate, but flaky at 96khz, but 48 and 44.1khz 24bit is usually flawless over the usb to the laptop on location

Offline chase

• Taperssection Member
    • Etree List
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2003, 02:33:15 PM »
go for the edirol for one reason, DC Power.  the Duo runs on AC power which means it is more difficult to run it in the field off of a battery.  you can buy a special battery pack developed by coresound, but it doesnt last all that long and it is veery expensive.  by the time you bought the duo + battery pack, you'd probably be in the same ballpark as a warm or presence modded ua-5.  now, the ua-5 is much better not only for the ease of remote powering but also because it can be modded by the oade brothers so that it sounds better.  a lot of people use the ua-5's on this board, i think i am the only person who ever used the duo that i know of.

Offline mirth

• Needs to get out more...
  • Les Hommes Savvent Pourquois
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2003, 07:30:18 PM »
If this is a brand new laptop then you also have a couple contenders in the firewire market...
Governor Jim McGreevey was equally disturbed about the upcoming population increase. "New Jersey cannot support all of these wookies," he said. "For starters, we don't have nearly enough kindbud. At best, we can muster up a Q.P. of some beasties, but we've not a dime-bag more."

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • The Jokell
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2003, 07:58:16 PM »
Yeah, I'm running the Firewire 410 right now and loving it. ;)
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline Jamtunes

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2003, 08:26:29 PM »
     Unfortunately, my girl did not order the laptop with a firewire card when she bought it for me. I know that this laptop will support one if I buy one and install it but now things are getting a little expensive for me (taking the big plunge in the spring, buying a house too). The firewire 410 is sweet but almost two times as costly as the UA-5 or Duo.
     I'm trying to get out into the field and record asap. Next month, we have a boat load of good acts coming to my little shittown (Max Creek, Victor Wooten, The Samples, Psychedelic Breakfast, Carbon Leaf) and I was hoping to get a hold of the UA-5 or Duo for what I can now afford. Both have sold for about $200 on ebay.
     I do appreciate the feedback though. Good to know that it's easier or atleast less costly to power the UA-5 in the field. I'm already facing the costly expense of purchasing an N-Charge VNC500 for my laptop.
     I noticed in other posts and specifically in this one, that you guys mention that Oade Brothers can make some mods on the UA-5. What exactly are the mods, how much of an improvement does it make, and most importantly, the cost? How much to modify it and what do you guys use to power the unit in the field?
     I don't mean to be a pain and ask questions like "that guy" so thanks again.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2003, 10:36:44 PM »
What exactly are the [UA5] mods, how much of an improvement does it make, and most importantly, the cost? How much to modify it and what do you guys use to power the unit in the field?

Check the Archival Info section for tips on powering the UA5.

There have been a few comparisons of the warm-modded UA5 vs. the Lunatec V3 both here and at the Oade Bros old forum - many here preferred the sound of the modded UA5.  The old posts are out there, try an Advanced Search - they'll turn up.

Check out the Oade Bros website for info on the mods and their cost.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline mirth

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2003, 11:07:55 PM »
You will never get the Oades to modify a unit that was not initially purchased from them - you do not have to be the first owner of the unit, but it has to have been sold to whomever by them.... Period.

Governor Jim McGreevey was equally disturbed about the upcoming population increase. "New Jersey cannot support all of these wookies," he said. "For starters, we don't have nearly enough kindbud. At best, we can muster up a Q.P. of some beasties, but we've not a dime-bag more."

Offline mirth

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2003, 11:12:15 PM »
Oh yeah, depending on the actual unit (brand/model would be helpful) it may come with a firewire port on the back or side. Most new model in the past 6 months have at least one firewire (1394) port.

Offline herrmann2burn

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
  • West by God
    • my tradelist
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2003, 11:40:06 PM »
Yeah, I'm running the Firewire 410 right now and loving it. ;)

What is theis Firewire 410 used for?
im alittle clueless.  ::)
Take me home, country roads...to the place, i belong...

http://www.phishhook.com/lists/herrmann2burn

Offline mirth

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2003, 11:41:11 PM »
Sup Rhys!

The Firewire 410 is a firewire based pre... Similar in features as the UA-5, I believe, and it can be completely powered off the firewire bus.

Offline herrmann2burn

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
  • West by God
    • my tradelist
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2003, 11:42:58 PM »
Sup Rhys!

The Firewire 410 is a firewire based pre... Similar in features as the UA-5, I believe, and it can be completely powered off the firewire bus.

Howdy big Al!
So, your saying that pre will run off the LT batteries?
Take me home, country roads...to the place, i belong...

http://www.phishhook.com/lists/herrmann2burn

Offline mirth

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2003, 11:45:33 PM »
yes. It's also externally powerable, saving precious lappie runtime.

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • The Jokell
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2003, 09:31:01 AM »
Yeah, I run it off of bus power but I have an NCharge to power the iBook.  I get around 5 hours of use before it craps out. ;)

Oh, and jamtunes, the 410 is nowhere near twice the cost of a UA-5 (unless you can find a UA-5 for $160).  You can get it online for $325 - don't know if that's still out of your price range, though.
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.183 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com