Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Mic recommendations for a portable studio?  (Read 2188 times)

Offline Justinasia

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Mic recommendations for a portable studio?
« on: February 20, 2009, 11:55:35 PM »
My friend's getting a Fostex FR-2le and he's wondering what mics to get for it.

He'll be recording in "a big house with a nice natural echo":
a bongo player, one of pandeiro - a Brazilian tambourine, amplified slightly, didgeridoo, and shakuhachi, and in various combinations of those.  So there will be anywhere from two to five people playing at once... (maybe some amplified guitar or bass); also I want to record solo shakuhachi (bamboo flute).

Mic topic is way over my head so I was hoping you guys could advise. Basically I figure he wants a stereo pair. Would be great to hear options for a total of around
-$400
-$600
-$800

That should give him some choice. He wants to make a CD. You guys are mic experts so your advice is really appreciated.
Many thanks.

Offline Justinasia

• Taperssection Regular
Re: Mic recommendations for a portable studio?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 09:38:39 AM »
I got a reply to this question from somewhere else, so I will add it here in case anyone is searching this thread for their own similar question:

Rode NT4 is about $500, easy to use as it's a stereo mic. Best might be the DPA SMK 4060 stereo set, nearer $800.

Offline notlance

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 10:03:25 AM »
After you get above a certain quality level, mic usage is more important than mic selection, IMHO.

As for a specific mic recommendation, get yourself a Busman Audio BSC1 SD stereo set.  It comes with 4 capsules for each mic so you have a range of patterns to play with.  Comes with shockmounts and a stereo bar.  Lots of options with this kit; it's a mic education course in a box.  The whole kit is $450.00 as of now.  www.busmanaudio.com  And no, I don't work for him.

If you have a good room, don't be afraid to use the omni cap.

jnorman34

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 06:23:27 PM »
i have owned DPA 4011s, schoeps cmc64s, neumann km184s, gefell m300s, akg c481s and 461s, and many others.  in the price range you are after, i dont think you can beat the AT4051s (cards) or beyer mc930s (cards) or the new little AT4022 omnis.  the omnis can be had new for less than $600/pair.  the 4051s and 930s can often be found used for $6-700 pair.  all are excellent for almost any kind of acoustic application.  i realy enjoy close spaced omnis in the kind of space you describe.

Offline setboy

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 06:44:49 PM »
Look at the Busmen mics

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 05:35:45 AM »
While you're at it, check out the Sonic Studios DSM mics.  Hundreds of sample recordings with gear notes on my site at:
www.sonicstudios.com/mp3.htm
www.sonicstudios.com/mp3_2slp.htm

Sorry to have to post referrals myself, but most Sonic Studios mic users are reluctant to post their DSM recording experiences because of constant dissing from some members who seem to always be boosting SP, Church, and other similar products, or just have their on agenda to harass those posting up to 25 years of Sonic Studios product experiences for no good/totally unknown reasons. 

So very satisfied DSM mic users have long ago quit sharing on this board, leaving the job to me, and having learned to take the heat, this should not be a problem if done appropriately when members ask for mic suggestions fitting their interests.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.067 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com