Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 744/722 "Media too slow" Message  (Read 66461 times)

Offline zhianosatch

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • god-damned hippies!
Re: 744/722 "Media too slow" Message
« Reply #135 on: May 01, 2005, 12:16:10 PM »
nah,... well yes it was D, but the dang things break off the circuit board of the jb3 dealies with fair frequency.

I'm shutting up now.

i mean, i don't want to ever absolve daryan of any blame that could possibly be his. :)
i'm happy for you guys who have gotten the jb3 to work so well for so long. i knew when i first held the one i bought from daryan that i'd never be able to use it reliably. i turned it on for about 10 seconds and shut it off, knowing that, in the words of the big lebowki, "nothing is FUCKED? the GOD-DAMNED PLANE has crashed into the mountain!"

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #136 on: May 01, 2005, 12:26:47 PM »
again you missed the entire point of my post...

Perhaps the point Bean is trying to make is that the JB3 was not intended as a field recorder - they just happened to include a record feature, it's a nice add-on to it's primary role as MP3 player - whereas the 7xx is fully intended as a field recorder.  Regardless, it is what it is and I believe this thread is now a dead horse.

and your love of grace is bewildering considering their track record of even delivering on their promised firewire interface for the V3

I never heard or read of Grace committing to deliver a firewire interface, though I do recall them suggesting they would consider it.  Regardless, it seems they made the right choice:  a firewire interface at this stage of the game - with portable 24-bit recorders hitting the market, most wired for S/PDIF and/or AES/EBU - would be useless to most field recordists, whether hobbyists, pro audio, or ENG.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #137 on: May 01, 2005, 01:00:40 PM »
i talked to both grace brothers at last years aes convention in regards to the Firewire output of the V3.

They said while they had considered it, firewire technology is still sort of expensive to implement into the V3(and maintain the same quality of the box) and they don't see the point of it for the exact reasons Brian Skalinder mentioned above.

Maybe they've changed their minds, but i wouldn't bet on it.  Their money makers are the m901/2, 201's, and 801s anyway. I'll believe it when Grace has it on their web page and not on a dealer's.  That's all advertiseing to get you buy the V3 at this point IMO

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #138 on: May 01, 2005, 01:23:39 PM »
So, to summarize (for those new to the thread, and hopefully to put an end to the banter since there's no need to repeat all of this ad nauseum):

• Some users are experiencing issues with their SD 7xxs.
  • Some users are not experiencing issues with their SD 7xxs.
  • All complex first-gen devices have problems initially, and the 7xxs are no exception.
  • SD is responding well to issues as they arise.
  • The 7xxs are not unique:  other field devices we use have issues as well - V3, MiniMe, JB3, various flavors of DAT, etc.
  • STFU Bean!!  :P

I can agree with all of this except the part about telling BEAN to STFU....he has just as much right to speak as anyone else on this board........about any issue......I am the one who started this last round of controversy with my comment.......which I still stick by....2k+ is a lot of money for something that isn't working out of the box.......when it becomes more stable I might consider buying one, but not until the issues are worked out......I am merely stating the company should have taken the time to make the fixes before releasing it to the public...........
Let me put it to you this way....When SD released that they were going to make this recorder...If they  stated it doesn't work all the time...it has programing issues.there are glitches oh and its 2k+ would you still buy it.....no! because they are admitting it doesn't work properly yet.......they didn't so people bought it and have to deal with the issues after the fact......I just think thats wrong.  As for customer service it better be good or they will lose product support.
Call me crazy but doesn't anyone else beside bean see this........
People can spend there money however they want.....I just expect more for my hard earned cash. I will wait and see what happens.  Will it all work out yes....It has too.....
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline Brian

« Reply #139 on: May 01, 2005, 01:29:52 PM »

so how many times are we going to have this conversation?

;)

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #140 on: May 01, 2005, 01:38:30 PM »
I can agree with all of this except the part about telling BEAN to STFU....

It was a joke, hence the :P at the end.

Practically speaking, early adopters know they're in for bugs when they try out new devices - regardless of the type of device.  You're obviously not an early adopter type, else you wouldn't rail so repeatedly against SD.  The reality is that no one can release a highly complex, high-tech product without bugs in the first generation.  If that reality is unacceptable to you, well...you have a few options.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #141 on: May 01, 2005, 02:45:42 PM »
>>2k+ is a lot of money for something that isn't working out of the box.......when it becomes more stable I might consider buying one, but not until the issues are worked out......I am merely stating the company should have taken the time to make the fixes before releasing it to the public...........<<

They did.  That's why dealers got demo 744 units back in september.  They took them out and tested them even more.  The thing about software is that bugs don't always show up right away.  Look at any software app that you have that's got a bug.  That bug wasn't found until after the software shipped.  Does that mean the company that released it sucks?  No.  It means they just missed it. 

Now my 722 worked fine right out of the box.  Sound Devices has been adding features in subsequent firmwares though, and in the process might have caused some bug to show up.  Does that mean the company sucks and is deceiving customers?  Hell no.

>>Let me put it to you this way....When SD released that they were going to make this recorder...If they  stated it doesn't work all the time...it has programing issues.there are glitches oh and its 2k+ would you still buy it.....no!<<

Yes.  I did.  Tthat's exactly what happened.  They have a list of "known issues" on their site.  They also have a forum dedicated to these boxes.   They're not trying to hide anything.  They've been excellent in taking user feedback and putting it towards improving the boxes.  That's what I expect from a box that cost 2300 bucks, and they've delivered on that.

>>because they are admitting it doesn't work properly yet.......they didn't so people bought it and have to deal with the issues after the fact......I just think thats wrong.  As for customer service it better be good or they will lose product support.<<

Again, Sound Devices never tried to hide anything.  If they were hiding things, they wouldn't have known issues published on their site and public support forums. 

The only glitch I've run into was introduced in the latest firmware and has to do with 1 specific situation.  Sound Devices was informed, admitted they could duplicate the problem, and should have a fix next week.  THAT is what my $2300 bucks gets me.  THAT is good support

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #142 on: May 01, 2005, 03:27:23 PM »
i do believe SD has great support and customer service3, hopefully all known bugs will be fixed in a very soon future firmware, and everything will work out nicely, cause it would def be grand to have 60-80GB of HD space to write all of the 24/96 your heart could desire ;D

otheronek, i feel ya man, great minds think alike ;)

i have to hear this thing w/ the 480's tho, bet its nice and rounded, maybe a v3/722 comp w/the 480's is due this summer :)

either way, i think it may turn out to be the best boxever quite hoinestly, it just sucks yinz gotta work out the bugs ;)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #143 on: May 01, 2005, 06:49:30 PM »
i do believe SD has great support and customer service3, hopefully all known bugs will be fixed in a very soon future firmware, and everything will work out nicely, cause it would def be grand to have 60-80GB of HD space to write all of the 24/96 your heart could desire ;D

otheronek, i feel ya man, great minds think alike ;)

i have to hear this thing w/ the 480's tho, bet its nice and rounded, maybe a v3/722 comp w/the 480's is due this summer :)

either way, i think it may turn out to be the best boxever quite hoinestly, it just sucks yinz gotta work out the bugs ;)

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!DITTO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline wboswell

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Don't call what you're wearing an outfit
    • Trey Woodruff on guitar
« Reply #144 on: May 01, 2005, 08:29:58 PM »
Having been one to experience a few problems, I'll say it is (was) a bummer.  But I expected it to happen being one of the early adopters, especially running it under "our" conditions.  While its expensive, I think its cheap when compared to many of the other classic field devices to come out..  The ad1000 was super expensive when it was first introduced, and how much did the ad2k cost when it came out?  $1800 for nothing more than an a/d.  This isn't a cheap hobby in case anyone forgot. 

Any doubts I had about this gem of a box were erased last night when I packed my bag for the Crowes show in Asheville.  I pulled out my smallest MountainSmith bag, The Verve.  In case you've not seen it, its tiny.  Small like my wife's purse.  I was able to put a clamp, a20s, NOS and DIN bars, mk41/mk21/actives/cmc6xt, interconnects, 722, and walk out the door.  Getting in the car, Cynthia asked me why I wasn't taping the show.  She asked were the gear was when I said that I was taping, she had to open the bag herself to believe that I had everything in there. 

Home now, listening to the show, and I can honestly say this box is all that I want.  Does it smoke the V3 as an all in one, no.  Does it sounds as good, yes.  Easily.  And not carrying a backpack to show anymore is worth the marginal difference in cash I spent on the new V3 and any DAT recorder and external batteries ($1400 V3, $700+ for first D8 & cables, plus $5 tapes). 

The convenience is a really nice thing.  And its only going to get better... 

I wish some of the haters would have a chance to run it for a show.  I think it would be a lot more quiet in this forum

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #145 on: May 01, 2005, 08:34:35 PM »
wanna lend me yours william ;D

for real tho, once it all gets panned out and I have a chance to run it w/ the 480's, i may sell the v3/jb3 rig IMMEDIATELY after i run it a few shows, it would def be nice to be able to run ONE BOX for real, instead of having the all in one pre/ad+recorder

is it a bit warmer than the v3 by a touch ??? that may be what im looking for down the road
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Joe w.

• esniper
  • Turn JB Up
« Reply #146 on: May 01, 2005, 08:37:05 PM »
Having been one to experience a few problems, I'll say it is (was) a bummer.  But I expected it to happen being one of the early adopters, especially running it under "our" conditions.  While its expensive, I think its cheap when compared to many of the other classic field devices to come out..  The ad1000 was super expensive when it was first introduced, and how much did the ad2k cost when it came out?  $1800 for nothing more than an a/d.  This isn't a cheap hobby in case anyone forgot. 

Any doubts I had about this gem of a box were erased last night when I packed my bag for the Crowes show in Asheville.  I pulled out my smallest MountainSmith bag, The Verve.  In case you've not seen it, its tiny.  Small like my wife's purse.  I was able to put a clamp, a20s, NOS and DIN bars, mk41/mk21/actives/cmc6xt, interconnects, 722, and walk out the door.  Getting in the car, Cynthia asked me why I wasn't taping the show.  She asked were the gear was when I said that I was taping, she had to open the bag herself to believe that I had everything in there. 

Home now, listening to the show, and I can honestly say this box is all that I want.  Does it smoke the V3 as an all in one, no.  Does it sounds as good, yes.  Easily.  And not carrying a backpack to show anymore is worth the marginal difference in cash I spent on the new V3 and any DAT recorder and external batteries ($1400 V3, $700+ for first D8 & cables, plus $5 tapes). 

The convenience is a really nice thing.  And its only going to get better... 

I wish some of the haters would have a chance to run it for a show.  I think it would be a lot more quiet in this forum

well said, 4/22 and the mule show still chaps my ass though. :P  Hopefully, the troubles are over.
2016 National Champions
five generations with an unlocked door and a loaded burglar alarm

Offline wboswell

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Don't call what you're wearing an outfit
    • Trey Woodruff on guitar
« Reply #147 on: May 01, 2005, 08:46:30 PM »
I don't have any frame of reference for last night's recording as I have never recorded 1)Black Crowes 2)at Thomas Wolfe.  Besides, it was the 21's so they are warm as all get out to begin with, and the tapes are flat out awesome, even run at shoulder level.  Nick Gregory was actually recorded the show and told me that he ran it hot as well, which is true, especially now that I see it in cd wave.  Still, I've listened to it digi out of the 722 into my NAD 763 and I'm hard pressed to hear any compression or other artifacts from being run a little on the hot side, just like what you expect from running the v3 hot.

I was able to work around the issue that Scott experienced with the glitches at the end of the file.  I just set the auto split at 4gb, and during the encore pause, Nick pressed stop and started a new file.  Nothing is lost because of the 5 second pre roll function.

well said, 4/22 and the mule show still chaps my ass though. :P  Hopefully, the troubles are over.

yeah..  sucky about the Mule b/c we were the only one FOB.  No way a decent tape came out of the back of that room.  Panic sucks too, but by all accounts, the bases were covered.  Would have been nice to have an FOB 480>v3 source.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2005, 08:51:28 PM by wboswell »

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #148 on: May 01, 2005, 08:57:29 PM »
I don't have any frame of reference for last night's recording as I have never recorded 1)Black Crowes 2)at Thomas Wolfe.

Well at least you know now the black crowes rock

in all seriousness, I have been listening to my tape for the past 6 hours...(have listened to it three times...the wife is getting ready to throw me out :P ), but this box sounds absolutely fantastic...I have said it before...and still believe it

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #149 on: May 01, 2005, 09:05:22 PM »
>>I was able to work around the issue that Scott experienced with the glitches at the end of the file.  I just set the auto split at 4gb, and during the encore pause, Nick pressed stop and started a new file.  Nothing is lost because of the 5 second pre roll function. <<

isn't it 2 seconds?  anyway, that's a great way around the problem.  a quick stop and start should do it. 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.088 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com