Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: TSKB: Mixer Advice - who knows a good mixer?  (Read 7318 times)

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: TSKB: Mixer Advice - who knows a good mixer?
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2007, 05:51:33 PM »
Brian has it right; what a guy!   With the two 722's that is just what I would do and as Brian has pointed out, synching in SAM8 is not very hard.  The Mackie 1202 is nice and offers a lot of flexibility.  I think it is a slightly dumbed-down version of the 1402 VLZ3, though.  I had originally just wanted a 4 > 2 solution but the Mackie 1402 offers a lot for not much green stuff.  If I want to do a local rock band I can run all their gear through the Mackie and run ORTF/DIN plus flanking omnis and if it is possible to get that crap all balanced out, have a nice sound.  Basically it would be just for a 4 > 2.  And I think the 1402 is the puppy.  I saw one for a good price and free shipping and three mic cables, too.  Pretty good deal.

Tapermark knows!

Cheers

Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline boojum

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2007, 05:54:20 PM »
Check this one out - these have me curious...

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/M10DX/

Yeah, it looks nice but only two balanced lines in.  I need four at least.  ;o)
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2007, 07:02:21 PM »
I really liked the Marenius MM-4210 4ch compact mixer I had.  Sounded great, small, AA battery powered, 4 channels in, each with total panning from L-R, phantom power for each channel, 3 gain ranges for each channel, 0-74db continuous gain.  Great stuff!

http://www.markertek.com/SearchProduct.asp?item=MM%2D4210&off=0&sort=prod

www.marenius.se/mm4210.htm  [I'm not getting this page to load right now, but it used to work.  Perhaps googling to get a cache'd page.]

I sold the one I had for about half of retail to someone at ts.com, forgetting who just now.  If you think you're interested, maybe you can post an ISO in the yardsale and see if he wants to part with it.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline boojum

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2007, 08:00:33 PM »
I really liked the Marenius MM-4210 4ch compact mixer I had.  Sounded great, small, AA battery powered, 4 channels in, each with total panning from L-R, phantom power for each channel, 3 gain ranges for each channel, 0-74db continuous gain.  Great stuff!

http://www.markertek.com/SearchProduct.asp?item=MM%2D4210&off=0&sort=prod

www.marenius.se/mm4210.htm  [I'm not getting this page to load right now, but it used to work.  Perhaps googling to get a cache'd page.]

I sold the one I had for about half of retail to someone at ts.com, forgetting who just now.  If you think you're interested, maybe you can post an ISO in the yardsale and see if he wants to part with it.

Todd, I found the Marenius in a scan through the world on mixers on the Internet.  It looks very good, and compact and well made.  But I think for what I want to tend to, classical and jazz, I need a box marked off in dB so I can note the positions of the controls and go back to what worked.  I have the Marenius manual, a contact with a fellow on the board who has one, and the price at Markertek here in the states.  The Marenius does look good, but for ease of use rather than compactness I kind of favor the Mackie 1402 for the reason it is designed for music work while the Marenius is designed for ENG.  I know that the SD is an ENG box, too, but also excellent for music.  It is not easy and I have not ordered anything yet.

Thanks for reminding me and bringing it to the attention of the other on the board.

Cheers
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline esteyes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2007, 01:44:47 AM »
best sounding mixer i have used as well as the easiest to use. still for sale, btw. went to a korg mr1000.

http://www.sonybiz.net/res/attachment/file/25/1133797562525.pdf

neil
Neil Sturtevant
San Marcos, CA
AKG 451's + CK1/CK8/CK9
AKG 460's + CK61/CK63 or A60M + CK1/CK8/CK9  or MK46/CK1X/CK8X
Sennheiser K3U + MKE-2, ME20, ME40, ME80, ME88
Sennheiser MKH 110/2 x2 + MKH 110/1 powered via custom battbox
Busman BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4
Shure FP33 or Sony DMX P01
Korg MR1000 or Sony M1
stealth: M1 > MKE-2/ME 20/ME40 in the hat
all cabling LINK (made in Germany) balanced or balanced miniature w/ Neutrik ends

making custom cables and serviceable (non-epoxy) ultraflush right angle cables plus other custom projects

Offline bluegrass_brad

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Old and in the way.
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2007, 09:23:22 AM »
The Mackie 1202 is nice and offers a lot of flexibility.  I think it is a slightly dumbed-down version of the 1402 VLZ3, though.  I had originally just wanted a 4 > 2 solution but the Mackie 1402 offers a lot for not much green stuff.  If I want to do a local rock band I can run all their gear through the Mackie and run ORTF/DIN plus flanking omnis and if it is possible to get that crap all balanced out, have a nice sound.

There is a reason it doesnt cost alot.  For running live sound in small clubs they are fine.  But since it looks like you do alot of classical and jazz , and your going to be using at least a couple of the preamps on the mixer, I would stay away from Mackie.  The Mackie preamps in their mixers are weak and noisy. Set the gain up loud enough for classical and in between movements or whenever the dynamics go up and down in jazz your gonna hear alot of this:
sssssssssssssssssssssssss.

I have used just about every brand of mixer available at one time or the other and Mackie is down near the bottom.  If you are using one to run a small club PA system then it would be fine, but for critical recording in quiet settings I wouldnt even consider it if you are going to use it's preamps. Just my opinion, but it is based on alot of experience with mixers in both live and studio settings. for what you are wanting to use it for,  Have you considered something like this?

http://www.studioprojectsusa.com/sp828.html

easier to haul around, much higher quality pres, mixes 8 channels down to a stereo mix, solo capability on each channel, great meters, signal and clip lights on each channel,  phase reverse on each channel (a big plus if you are mixing a bunch of mics onstage). For what you are describing, this sounds like it would fit your needs much better.  Also down the road if you wanted to get into multi-tracking you could use it as a front end, as it has directs on each channel. Just a thought.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 09:31:28 AM by bluegrass_brad »
CK1x, CK2x, CK3x > Hub Industry Cables > Naiant PFA or MK46 > 460B
CK1, CK8, CK63 > 460b

"That was back in a time when society was not quite ready for this music. Anyone remember those days? That's when punk rock was dangerous, right?" - Mike Ness

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com