Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Audioengine D1 DAC and A2 speakers  (Read 10941 times)

colinw

• Trade Count: (0)
Audioengine D1 DAC and A2 speakers
« on: January 11, 2013, 10:28:28 AM »
Well, I have been listening to my new purchases for a while now, and I couldn't be more pleased. I bought the Audioengine D1 USB DAC, and have listened through headphones (Audiotechnica ATH-M30), and also with the small Audioengine A2 computer speakers.

I wasn't expecting the massive change in audio quality that the DAC would provide over the onboard soundcard in my PC. The difference is night and day. I had read that the quality would improve, and it certainly did. I am hearing things in albums I have literally listened to thousands of times and never heard before. I can't wipe the grin off my face.  ;D

The sound of everything is better - from low quality 128kps MP3, 320 MP3s, FLACs (16 and 24 bit), etc. The sound of 24 bit FLACs is nothing short of amazing.

I am also blown away by the massive sound the A2 speakers throw out. They are small desktop powered speakers and get great reviews, but again, I was a little sceptical when I saw the tiny size of these. They sound incredible in my office/music room, filling it with sound that is clean, even and surprisingly full of bass.

I sound like a fluffer for this gear, but I haven't been this impressed with a purchase of electronics in a long, long time. I can't think of a better $400 someone interested in music can spend. The value of what you get for the cost is ridiculous.

If you're thinking of upgrading your PC sound system or desktop speakers, you can't go wrong.

thanks for the opportunity to gush!! ha ha

Now I need to find time to relisten to about 9 months straight of audio I have in my collection!  ;D

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • If it's important, tell me to write it down.
    • LMA uploads
Re: Audioengine D1 DAC and A2 speakers
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 10:48:22 AM »
Fluff away! Audioengine makes great gear. I fluffed the D1 here:

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=156786.0

I did go ahead and get a pair of the A5+ monitors, and they're phenomenal! They're probably overkill for my 10x12 home office. It sounds like the A2s are just as good, just smaller. They would probably be more than enough for the space I'm using. Glad to see another Audioengine convert!
Mics: 3 Zigma Chi HA-FX (COL-251, c, h, o-d, o-f) / Avenson STO-2 / Countryman B3s
Pres: CA-Ugly / Naiant Tinyhead / SD MixPre
Decks: Roland R-44 / Sony PCM-M10
GAKables
Dead Muppets

My recordings LMA / BT / TTD

Offline Ultfris101

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Spoon!!!
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 11:02:17 AM »
Nice to hear positive comments about products like this. Makes it a little easier to risk the money. I probably need to do something similar. I picked up some ATH-M50 headphones a while back and those made a huge difference over just listening through my older computer speakers. I needed them when I started making my own recordings and then was also surprised just how much detail I had been missing on many of the recordings I've been collecting for years.

I was skeptical that a DAC would make much difference but I'm hearing more and more seemingly reasonable people say very positive things. I tend to tune out the extreme Audiophile stuff because I just can't hear it most of the time and really don't want to spend so much money on a high-end listening room or anything at this point. Maybe someday when I'm so successful money is no object.

After seeing some similar positive comments (from bryonsos I believe actually) I have been looking at the Audioengine D1 and 5+'s and A2's.

I do a lot of my listening in my car and away from computer via iPod so, I'm not seeing it now on the website, but the D1 or a similar device from another company also takes input straight from iPod (not minijack connection) so it could be very mobile as well. My car has a minijack input but not a direct ipod interface. I've not been impressed with the sound of my iPod so far in my car.

I never would have considered the value of another device like this until I got used to running a preamp between my CA-14's and M10 and finally understood.

Of course this also drives the understanding and appreciation of how good mics can make such a difference too, so then you have to get better mics to push the listening gear and you're in the YS yet again...
Mics: Schoeps MK5,MK41 CMC6,KCY,KC5 | AKG ck63,ck1 C460B,C480B | DPA 4061 | Naiant X-R card,hyper | CA-14o,c
Pres: Sound Devices USBPre2 | Naiant Tinybox | Church Audio 9200, UBB
Recs: Zoom F8 | Edirol R-44 | Sony PCM-M10 | Tascam DR-2d
Video: Sony CX550(2), CX580, HX9

LMA: http://archive.org/bookmarks/ultfris101

Offline jibooer

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Searching for the perfect jam...
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 05:07:59 PM »
Bravo! Good to see some other positive things being said about this product. I love mine.
Mics: AKG c460b (ck61, ck62, ck63, ck1x, ck3x), NBob Actives, Naiant Actives, ADK A-51TL
Pres: Lunatec V2, Sound Devices MP-2
Cables: GAKables exclusively, AKG MK46, Naiant PFA's
Recorders: Edirol R-09HR, Edirol R-44
CPU for DSP: Toshiba Satellite A660 i7 > audioengineD1
Cans: ATH-50
VINYL: Rega Planar 3 > Rega Brio-R > Wharfedale EVO2-30

Offline live2cd

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Facebook.
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 02:34:18 PM »
my D1 just came in the mail today. i purchased it mainly for my 24 BIT recordings as I was honestly not hearing a difference between 16 and 24. Im hoping this corrects that.
DPA 4060 [CS HEB] > CS BB
CA-14 (c) > CA 9200
CA-14 (o) > CA 9200
SP-CMC-8 Cardioids (4.7k mod) > SP-SPSB-11
pri deck: Sony PCM M10 | alt decks: TASCAM DR‑2D & Sony PCM A10

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
    • LMA uploads
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 02:37:10 PM »
my D1 just came in the mail today. i purchased it mainly for my 24 BIT recordings as I was honestly not hearing a difference between 16 and 24. Im hoping this corrects that.

You won't regret it! With good cans or monitors you'll hear your recordings like you never have before.
Mics: 3 Zigma Chi HA-FX (COL-251, c, h, o-d, o-f) / Avenson STO-2 / Countryman B3s
GAKables
Dead Muppets

Offline microburst

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • formerly "mcroberts"
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2013, 01:32:41 PM »
I'm driving back home from b+h as we speak after picking up one of these babies (the D1, not the A2 speakers) because the soundcard in my new laptop is less than impressive.  I'll be using this with a pair of ath-m50 cans and will comment as soon as I've developed a strong opinion
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 12:07:49 PM by microburst »

Offline Since85

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2013, 11:41:13 PM »
Do you folks here use the Audioengine speakers/DAC combo for mastering your recordings? Do theses just work best for playback? Any advice appreciated :)

Offline dmonkey

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2013, 12:06:39 AM »
I just picked up a pair of A2's and I'm loving them. I had some 2.1 system prior to this but it croaked on me. I was a little worried about the bass on the A2 but I'm very pleased. And yes, I use these to master with.

Now you guys are making me think of picking up the D1 as well. I'm not real thrilled with the sound card in my PC now. Hmmm....

MK4's, KM140's or MC930's >  Tinybox or Aerco MP-2 > R-09, M-10, R-44 (Oade CM) or MixPre-6

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
    • LMA uploads
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2013, 04:00:41 AM »
Do you folks here use the Audioengine speakers/DAC combo for mastering your recordings? Do theses just work best for playback? Any advice appreciated :)

Yes, use either Sony 7506 cans or A5+ monitors for mastering.
GAKables
Dead Muppets

colinw

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2013, 09:09:15 AM »

I use my D1 and A2s for mastering or my Audiotechnica headphones. Seems to work really well. I can't say enough how awesome the D1 > A2 combo is. If the A2s sound so great I can only imagine how the A5+ sounds!

Offline microburst

• Taperssection All-Star
  • formerly "mcroberts"
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2013, 03:59:51 PM »
I only had positive things to share about my new D1, except today the thing stopped working and my OS (Windows 8 ) is no longer recognizing the device.  Power light won't even turn on when connected to any of the USB 3.0 or 2.0 slots.  Anyone have this problem?  Solutions?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 04:22:48 PM by microburst »

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2013, 09:17:08 AM »
A couple of notes here. First, if you get the A2 speakers, be sure to get the speaker stands that Audioengine makes for them. A ripoff at $30 for the pair, but make the speakers sound a hundred times better. The midbass hump is still very much present with the stands, but it was unbearable without them. Second, I have come to realize that a decent computer audio program makes a difference as well. I am using JRiver on my PC and it is much better than Windows Media, which is what I was using (I know, I'm a dinosaur). Only $50 and worth it.

Running a PC with JRiver > Audioquest Dragonfly > Audioengine 2 with a Moon Audio Silver Dragon interconnect between the Dragonfly and the speakers. I don't think that the speakers are neutral enough for mastering (that midbass hump is just too prominent), but it sounds good for listening, especially for such a low-cost, portable setup.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline microburst

• Taperssection All-Star
  • formerly "mcroberts"
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2013, 12:06:06 PM »
I only had positive things to share about my new D1, except today the thing stopped working and my OS (Windows 8 ) is no longer recognizing the device.  Power light won't even turn on when connected to any of the USB 3.0 or 2.0 slots.  Anyone have this problem?  Solutions?

So the D1 I bought on Tuesday 03/19 officially shit the bed on Friday 03/22.  Not a very good useful life on this device.  I'm a little frustrated.  Nonetheless, I'm driving to B&H tomorrow to return the D1 for a new one.  Hope this one last longer. 

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
    • LMA uploads
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2013, 04:02:28 PM »
Bummer! I'm surprised, everything I've read and experienced has been positive. Hoping 2nd time is a charm!
GAKables
Dead Muppets

colinw

« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2013, 06:49:13 PM »
I also hope the new one lasts longer. Mine, and the 4 other people I have convinced to buy a unit have had excellent experiences. No issues at all. Let's hope you just got a lemon or something and you'll be able to enjoy the new one for a good long time!

Offline phreshie

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2013, 11:23:56 PM »
Micro - any more feedback on your D1 experience, thinking of getting one ...... thoughts ?
I wana check B&H price -
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 11:39:20 PM by phreshie »
Retired.

Offline microburst

• Taperssection All-Star
  • formerly "mcroberts"
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2013, 05:52:55 PM »
Micro - any more feedback on your D1 experience, thinking of getting one ...... thoughts ?
I wana check B&H price -

I really like it - more info forthcoming.  MY only compliant is that the first one I bought effectively shit the bad on day 3 or 4 after I bought it.  I don't know what happened but it stopped mounting to my laptop and eventually the light wouldn't even turn on when it was plugged in via any type of USB connection.  This was not a big deal as I live relatively close to B&H (Long Island -> NYC) so I returned the device in person and received a new one.  No issues to date though its only been a few weeks since.

Anyway, back to the sound.  I think the D1 sounds fantastic.  I never really had a need for a dedicated DAC as I had a solid soundcard in my old laptop but when that laptop died and I got a new laptop the sound degraded tenfold due to a less than acceptable soundcard in the new laptop.  The D1 improved the entire frequency range dramatically - I can hear small nuances in my recordings that I couldn't hear previously through the old laptop without a dedicated DAC.  In my opinion the D1 was money well spent as long as it doesn't die again.  Its nice and small - form factor is excellent.  Happy to answer any specific questions.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 05:57:51 PM by microburst »

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2013, 10:56:13 PM »
Looks like this thing will do 24/96 over USB and 24/192 over the optical input.

Anyone have any issues running 24/96 over the USB? Probably a moot point since I'll likely run optical, but figured I'd ask in case I have issues with the optical.

Oh...anyone know what sort of cans this thing can push. I'm probably going to order the Beyerdynamic DT 990's. Wondering if they can push the 600 Ohm cans, or should I stick with the 250 Ohm model?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 11:00:14 PM by Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B) »
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.09 seconds with 47 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com