Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Creative Nomad (not the JB3 but JB1) - Can I use?  (Read 5890 times)

Offline drkniaz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Creative Nomad (not the JB3 but JB1) - Can I use?
« on: June 27, 2005, 11:30:01 PM »
I am putting together a rig to begin recording stealth and I picked up a Creative Nomad Jukebox (I was told to get this).  I DIDNT get the JB3 (from what I can tell) but rather something that looks like the original (jukebox 1?).

If I used this with pre-amped stealth microphones (giant squid omnis) will this player work, or must I have the JB3?  The specs appear to be very close to each other.

Thanks!

Offline ~ Dan

• Taperssection Regular
Re: Creative Nomad (not the JB3 but JB1) - Can I use?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2005, 11:38:44 PM »
Take a look here...http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=35002.0

I believe you can record analog in with it, but no digi in.
AT853Rx (c/h/sc/o) > Denecke PS-2 > Denecke AD-20 > Nomad JB3 or iRiver iHP-120

Offline ~ Dan

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2005, 11:40:37 PM »
Hmm...doesn't look like it records to .wav format though.  You're best off with a JB3, if you're going that way.  You can get digi and analog in and it can record to .wav too.  Good luck!
AT853Rx (c/h/sc/o) > Denecke PS-2 > Denecke AD-20 > Nomad JB3 or iRiver iHP-120

Offline drkniaz

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2005, 12:13:21 AM »
Thanks Dan

I have been reading throught the FAQ's.  Im such a newb to this and someone else told me that this player (Blue 6GB) would work...I think he was wrong.

It apparently DOES record to WAV, but its Analog.  I dont know if that will be a big issue.  I wanted to pair this recorder up with the Squid cardioids (clip onto glasses) and get some basic/inexpensive rig going.  The mics have a pre-amp.

Its very confusing for me, and when a FAQ says YOU CAN ONLY USE THE JB3, and all I ever see on peoples lineages is JB3, it makes me think I have made a mistake.

Thanks for your input though!  I appreciate it!

Offline John R

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • www.tapers.org
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2005, 08:44:43 AM »
not a total mistake, just a small one.   it will record in wave, but may or may not power your mics(not sure), you may need a battery box as well.  the bigger picture is, that once you get comfortable and decide whether you want to continue taping, this device will become obsolete due to it's limited HD size(not festival ready) and it's lack of a digital in(optical).  it's ok for now as a learner unit, and eventually an mp3 player, when you get something else.  is it able to be returned?  if so, definitely get a jb3.  good luck, ask many questions, everyone else here has.

jr
we all live downstream.

Offline drkniaz

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2005, 08:33:29 PM »
John R,

I believe it has the same storage capacity as the JB3.  I am looking at a set of Giant Squid stereo mics that DO come with a battery back to power the mics, so this could work.

Its been so confusing.  You read on this site that the JB3 is the ONLY recorder you can use, then I get a guy at Creative telling me I CAN use the one I got, but its not digital but rather analog, then I get more people telling me I cant use this, then I can...its ugly.

I want to be self sufficient in finding out the info on my own but all of the resources out there are overwheming and a bit unclear, so I appreciate the help!

Offline jaguaracer

• Taperssection Regular
    • Trading List
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2005, 09:32:23 PM »
I replied to a thread about this a while ago.

Two major limitations:
15 minute file size
No onboard gain

And, as mentioned (or not mentioned) above:
no firewire, no digi-in, 6/10 GB hard drive and runs on AA batteries (so not sure about total battery life)

I think thats about it.  Not really advisable, but not impossible as it does record in .wav and your battery pack will power the mics. I'm on a tight budget so I did some reseach into this too.

btw, the difference between the Jukebox C and Jukebox 1 is just the packaging. essentially the same device.
here's the thread in which I made all these comments before:
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=35332.0;all

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2005, 09:37:06 PM by jaguaracer »
DC

Offline drkniaz

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2005, 10:35:07 AM »
Thanks jaguar,

I am getting some 2500 NiMH rechargable batteries (other people I know who use the Nomad use these...strong power/life is what they told me...around 8 hours).

In terms of the file size, does this mean that I have to physically do something to the player every 15 minutes (like press record again or change tracks)>

What is the onboard gain?

Sorry to slam you with questions, but I appreciate anyone/everyones help.

Ray76

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2005, 11:00:29 AM »
I replied to a thread about this a while ago.

Two major limitations:
15 minute file size
No onboard gain

And, as mentioned (or not mentioned) above:
no firewire, no digi-in, 6/10 GB hard drive and runs on AA batteries (so not sure about total battery life)

I think thats about it.  Not really advisable, but not impossible as it does record in .wav and your battery pack will power the mics. I'm on a tight budget so I did some reseach into this too.

btw, the difference between the Jukebox C and Jukebox 1 is just the packaging. essentially the same device.
here's the thread in which I made all these comments before:
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=35332.0;all

Hope this helps.

the onboard gain isnt a big deal, unless you are running mic in, and dont have a pre in front. i never use it.
Ray

Offline mattb

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Yo.
    • Matt's Page
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2005, 04:13:05 PM »
I'm pretty sure the JB1 exhibits the following:
Can record to wav
line level analog input only
6 or 10 GB drive, but you can upgrade it (I have a 20 from a JB3 that would brobably work if you wanna make a deal)
From what I've heard, you're likely to have trouble powering it long enough for a show in internals. Maybe with the newer high capacity ones, but be prepared to make/buy/use external power.
AT933s (C/H/O) > AT8531s > UA-5 > H120 (Rockboxed)

Offline jaguaracer

• Taperssection Regular
    • Trading List
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2005, 07:40:14 PM »

the onboard gain isnt a big deal, unless you are running mic in, and dont have a pre in front. i never use it.
Ray

Actually, I'm running Giant Squid mics with a battery box (same as above poster) and I definitely need to max the onboard gain.
Whether you can get that same gain in post-pro without losing quality though is a totally legit question.

Thanks jaguar,

I am getting some 2500 NiMH rechargable batteries (other people I know who use the Nomad use these...strong power/life is what they told me...around 8 hours).

In terms of the file size, does this mean that I have to physically do something to the player every 15 minutes (like press record again or change tracks)>

What is the onboard gain?

Sorry to slam you with questions, but I appreciate anyone/everyones help.

I am not 100% sure but I think that you do not have to do anything to keep recording after 15 min (ie press record). You'll just need to attach all your files in post-production and then split them again during proper for proper song-by-song track cuts.

Onbaord gain just means you can raise the volume at which you record ( can do it with JB3, not the JB1).
DC

Offline mattb

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Yo.
    • Matt's Page
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2005, 12:34:13 AM »
Check for firmware upgrades too. I think that 15 Min thing may be gone in newer fw versions.

Ray76

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2005, 07:33:01 AM »
Check for firmware upgrades too. I think that 15 Min thing may be gone in newer fw versions.

just get a jb3 dude, save the hassle.

:P

Offline mattb

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Yo.
    • Matt's Page
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2005, 10:30:23 AM »

just get a jb3 dude, save the hassle.

:P

That's definitely the best, easiest route with the best chance for success. Unfortunately it's not the cheapest. But if you can afford it, the JB3 is the way to go.

Offline drkniaz

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2005, 05:25:13 PM »
Thanks folks, I appreciate the assistance.

I got the JB1 already, and will likely not sell it, as I kind of got screwed on the price ($60 for the unit...period...no cables/batteries/software) and frankly I just wanted a basic system at a low cost.  Im not looking at recording more than 5-6 shows a year tops.  I therefore will NOT be upgrading as it isnt worth it personally to me.

I need to check the firmware updates.  Thanks for that reminder, and thanks for the info on the gain.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com