Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Mic question...  (Read 5431 times)

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I love/hate tickets.
Mic question...
« on: November 13, 2003, 12:17:52 PM »
On the NJB3tapers yahoo group, people were discussing higher-end microphones, and I am interested in getting some nicer stealth mics, at some point.  Thing is though, is that I don't really 'stealth' - I just use a stealth setup in situations where a non-stealth setup would be a bad idea - such as at a packed bar or something like that.   So, what I am ideally looking for is a set of stealth mics that I can run into my UA-5, power them with phantom power, and then into my NJB3.

So, on this group, someone responded to my query about higher end stealth mics w/ some examples of Neumanns and Shoeps where the capsule can be removed from the body - the message seemed to say that capsules can be removed from the bodies and used as stealth mics... if I have an 'active' cable?!?

If I could buy a set of mics that would work well for stealth applications when they are disconnected from the bodies (with phantom power), then toss them on a stand for situations where it is suitable (with phantom power), I would be pretty stoked.  Basically getting two birds with one stone.

So, is what I am saying here possible?

Thanks-
Andrew
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
Re:Mic question...
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2003, 12:23:55 PM »
sure...

Schoeps cmc6 bodies with kc5 active cables and mk4 cardioid capsules (or whatever you prefer)

Neumann km100 bodies with lc3 active cables and ak40 cardioid capsules (or whatever you prefer)

DPA 4021/4022 have fixed capsules (can't be swapped out) but they are small and you don't need bodies ( a major advantage if you are truly "stealthing")

Schoeps ccm4 are like the DPA's, fixed cap but no body.

FWIW - many, many people always run the actives, even on stand from a taperssection.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2003, 12:28:48 PM by Tim »
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2003, 12:26:32 PM »
Some folks also run MBHO 603A bodies with KA200 card caps (don't know the part number for the cables).
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2003, 12:29:58 PM »

FWIW - many, many people always run the actives, even on stand from a taperssection.

What do you mean by active?

Thanks-
Pfife
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Tim

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2003, 12:34:20 PM »
"actives" are the cables that allow you to seperate the mic cap from the mic body, for schoeps you need the kc5's for Neumann's you need the lc3's. so for neumann's you can run ak50(cap)->lc3(active cable)->km100(mic body). They are called "active" cables or actives. They are much, much smaller than regular mic cables.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2003, 12:50:23 PM »
"actives" are the cables that allow you to seperate the mic cap from the mic body, for schoeps you need the kc5's for Neumann's you need the lc3's. so for neumann's you can run ak50(cap)->lc3(active cable)->km100(mic body). They are called "active" cables or actives. They are much, much smaller than regular mic cables.

Thank you - thank you - I am learning  a lot here - So, is it possible to get the mic body outta the equation here?  I guess I am imagining the mic body as a hollow tube... which I am sure is completely underestimating their importance...

IOW, if I were to truly stealth, I would probably have to sneak the mic bodies in as well, unless I get the DPA 4021/4022, which don't need them?  But the downsides to these is that you can't change the capsules, right?

Once again, thanks for answering my questions...  I am at the point right now where I want to upgrade, and the jump from my current mic to the 'next level' involves a little more knowledge that I don't have.

~Pfife

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Tim

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2003, 01:01:08 PM »
I'm doing my best to explain things simply and clearly, let me know if anything confuses you!

The mic body contains the amplifier for the capsule... it is much more than a hollow tube. Sneaking them in can be done but it's just two more pieces of gear to mess with.. plus they're metal so if they have metal detectors at the door the bodies will be working against you

If I was you I would look long and hard at the DPA 4021/4022 or the Schoeps ccm4. Both are excellent pieces of gear and you wouldn't be going wrong with either but both sound very different.. the DPA is quite transparen while the Schoeps is more colored with "fatter" low end.

the only draw back is not being able to utilize hypercards or other patterns (DPA doesn't even make hypers) but if you think cards will be all that you need then go for it. There are many tapers who solely use cards!

Personally I like the ability to have different capsules but I don't usually see shows where sneaking mic bodies in is that big of a deal... I've never truly "stealthed".

Hopefully Scott Brown will chime in here... he runs the DPA 4021's and tapes opne taping bands and stealth.

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2003, 01:10:05 PM »
I'm doing my best to explain things simply and clearly, let me know if anything confuses you!

The mic body contains the amplifier for the capsule... it is much more than a hollow tube. Sneaking them in can be done but it's just two more pieces of gear to mess with.. plus they're metal so if they have metal detectors at the door the bodies will be working against you

If I was you I would look long and hard at the DPA 4021/4022 or the Schoeps ccm4. Both are excellent pieces of gear and you wouldn't be going wrong with either but both sound very different.. the DPA is quite transparen while the Schoeps is more colored with "fatter" low end.

the only draw back is not being able to utilize hypercards or other patterns (DPA doesn't even make hypers) but if you think cards will be all that you need then go for it. There are many tapers who solely use cards!

Personally I like the ability to have different capsules but I don't usually see shows where sneaking mic bodies in is that big of a deal... I've never truly "stealthed".

Hopefully Scott Brown will chime in here... he runs the DPA 4021's and tapes opne taping bands and stealth.

I believe I have just seen the light.  So I presume there are batteries of some kind in the mic body, which is what my current mic does?

Thanks! +T!  

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Tim

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2003, 01:12:52 PM »
no they do require phantom power...

you can use the ua5 or get a phantom power supply like a Dencecke ps2.

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2003, 01:21:25 PM »
Cool - thanks- I see what's going on now!

~Pfife

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Tim

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2003, 01:25:53 PM »
just keep asking questions, plenty of smart folks here who can help you out

Offline Joe w.

• esniper
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Turn JB Up
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2003, 02:17:35 PM »
Some folks also run MBHO 603A bodies with KA200 card caps (don't know the part number for the cables).

i'm not sure there is a part #. they are really just a mini xlr.

2016 National Champions
five generations with an unlocked door and a loaded burglar alarm

Offline Rick

• My Recordings
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2003, 02:30:43 PM »
Retired Taper

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2003, 02:35:26 PM »
So, is it possible to get the mic body outta the equation here?  

http://www.taperssection.com/yabbse/index.php?board=7;action=display;threadid=9383

;D

Yeah, definitely an option.  I'm considering an N-Box for my Schoeps.  Same kinda deal as the JK Labs box.  It's a preamp that provides phantom power and hooks up directly to the mic caps, taking the bodies out of the equation.  AND, you can then swap out different caps if you want.  Bonus!

Only catch with the N-Box and JK Labs setup is it's tougher to unload because the preamps are customized to a specific mic capsule type (e.g. Schoeps MK series).  Very stealth and sounds great, though!  And obviously, can still be run openly.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2003, 02:45:53 PM »
I just use my kc5 cable now, even when in the section. I love the small footprint using these cables creates, also makes it real easy to break down at the end of the show. I do have to use the bodies still down in my bag, but that is no big deal, plus having those cool DIN and ORTF bars makes setting up sooo much easier, its idiot proof.
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline plucks

• 1pt21Gigawatts!
  • Maybe the grass is greener on the other side
    • 1pt21gw.blogspot.com
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2003, 01:39:08 PM »
There are also the Audx M1245 or M1290.  They are the smallest condenser mics available.  They do not have active cables, but they are so small that you don't need them!  
The M1245, the smallest of the 2 is about half the size of your pinky finger. The M1290 is about the size of your ring finger.  
I was quite impressed with them!  They are also much more affordable than the Schoeps/Neumann/DPA/MBHO mics that are mentioned.  

Granted they don't have the same specs as the "high end" mics, for a starter set of stealth mics, these are fantastic.  I have samples if interested

Phil
"Then you have those who are completely loyal to Trey. Of course, they are the Republicans. Trey can play horribly, make mistakes, probably lie to the audience yet his backers will not waiver in their staunch support of him." | You may ask your self, how do you get a free bottle of champagne at dinner?  "Guest on Guest Violence"
1pt21gw.blogspot.com | vimeo HD videos! | the new Signal Path

Dirty Business down on Coal Creek

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2003, 02:01:56 PM »
i hope to be using these soon, hopefully I can offer more feedback on them then

Offline Tim

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2003, 03:16:10 PM »
totally forgot about those Audix mics. I haven't heard much but what I've heard has been quite impressive. Thye are tiny too!

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2003, 07:37:24 AM »
the micros def fell under radar for quite awhile.....look very promising tho.... 8)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.13 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com