Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: linking a v3 and an AD2K+  (Read 7722 times)

Offline Jhurlbs81

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My LMA collection
linking a v3 and an AD2K+
« on: September 07, 2008, 01:13:44 AM »
Here's what I'm trying to accomplish- 4 channels onto 2 separate recorders using one clock so I can easily matrix;
mics>v3>microtrack>(digital link to AD2K) + SBD>XLR out>AD2K>microtrack

Never done this before so I don't know if my understanding of wordclocks is accurate, so please feel free to harshly correct me. :)  After looking at the manuals it seems like it will work, but would love some advice.  Might try this set-up tomorrow if I can do it.

Any advice?
Thanks!
Jesse ;D
« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 01:16:30 AM by Jesse Hurlburt »
FREE JERRYFREAK!

Offline Jhurlbs81

• My LMA collection
Re: linking a v3 and an AD2K+
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 02:44:59 AM »
from the ad2k manual-
The digital input will only accept digital audio signals, and will automatically
recognize either professional or consumer formats.  It will not respond to non-audio
signals such as word clock, super clock, or video.

that's a no i take it?

« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 02:51:16 AM by Jesse Hurlburt »
FREE JERRYFREAK!

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 03:04:08 PM »
yeah, I don't think you can do it, because neither the V3 nor the AD2K have word clock in.

Offline ShawnF

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008, 03:28:00 PM »
I think it can be done.  What you need to do is to put an RCA(m)>2 RCA(f) splitter on the SPDIF signal coming out of the V3.  Send one side of the split to your first MT and send the other to the AD2K.  You will need to have an RCA-BNC adaptor to plug into the AD2K, though.

I split the SPDIF signal from my Mytek192 to do essentially the same thing you're trying to do, which is to lock a second A/D converter (in my case, a mod MOTU Ultralite) to allow four channels on the same clock to two different MTs.  Works like a charm for me.

Offline Jhurlbs81

• My LMA collection
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2008, 03:42:03 PM »
Hmmm. Gonna give it try and see what happens.  I happen to have the exact splitter and BNC adapter, surprisingly so I just rigged it up and tested to makes sure my MT saw the mic>v3 dig signal through that splitter.  Worst case I just get mk41>v3.  best case I get that and sbd>ad2k>d8 and it's synched.  I don't have much faith in the D8, but if the clocks sync and it works I might buy a MT II for this application.

Thanks to Jason for sparking this idea in my head with his 4 channel d'elf set up. +T to you both!

Wish me luck.

Jesse
FREE JERRYFREAK!

Offline JasonSobel

• My show list
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2008, 06:21:13 PM »
Jesse - let us know how it goes.  alternatively, you could easily do a 4 channel setup with one MT + one HD-P2.  The tascam is great, because it has word clock in. not only that, but you can send the HD-P2 an S/PDIF signal, and tell the unit to only grab the clock info from the S/PDIF stream.

Offline ShawnF

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2008, 09:29:44 PM »
Hmmm. Gonna give it try and see what happens.  I happen to have the exact splitter and BNC adapter, surprisingly so I just rigged it up and tested to makes sure my MT saw the mic>v3 dig signal through that splitter.  Worst case I just get mk41>v3.  best case I get that and sbd>ad2k>d8 and it's synched.  I don't have much faith in the D8, but if the clocks sync and it works I might buy a MT II for this application.

Thanks to Jason for sparking this idea in my head with his 4 channel d'elf set up. +T to you both!

Wish me luck.

Jesse

Cool--hope it works for you.  With the D8 in the picture, I'd probably make sure the V3>MT and AD2K were at 16 bits.  Not sure how well this would work if you mix 24 and 16 bits.  Get that second MT and go back to 24 bits.

The HDP2 would certaily be an easier solution (heck, an R-44 would be much easier and cheaper than the Tascam, at least new), but you're probably getting better A/D conversion this way.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008, 01:01:22 AM »
it can be done, ive ran this way before, just take the aes out of the v3 to the ad2k wordclock in, i beleive the light on the front will tell you if its locked to an external clock

dont forget that the input of the ad2k is reverse polarity. if you want to matrix with 4 channels using v3 and ad2k, make sure you flip pins 2 and 3  on the short xlrs to the ad2k (unless your v3 doesnt have polarity fix, in which case both signals would be inverted.)

Cool--hope it works for you.  With the D8 in the picture, I'd probably make sure the V3>MT and AD2K were at 16 bits.  Not sure how well this would work if you mix 24 and 16 bits.  Get that second MT and go back to 24 bits.

The HDP2 would certaily be an easier solution (heck, an R-44 would be much easier and cheaper than the Tascam, at least new), but you're probably getting better A/D conversion this way.
[/quote]
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline Jhurlbs81

• My LMA collection
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2008, 02:14:37 PM »
Well I wimped out and didn't try it. ::)  I was with some friends that were SUPER excited about hearing the tape so I didn't want to screw it up. I did get a great mk41>v3 tape that I am happy with though.  In the future I'll definitely give this a shot, I had planned on upgrading to the MT II anyhow just for the seemless split ability.  I would think a MT I wouldn't fetch too much these day in the yard sale, so I'll probably hang onto it and try to get this going.  The thought of mics>v3+sbd>ad2k recorded onto 4 channels on the same clock is very appealing.  And with digital outputs on both boxes the MTs seem like an easy, inexpensive way to capture the digital signals. 

Now I will need a new audio editor with multitrack support that runs on a mac...?? Probably means another good chuck of cash.. :-\

Thanks for your help guys.  +T's all around.  I will try this out in the near future and report back!

Jesse
FREE JERRYFREAK!

Offline ianstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • schoeps>something>something else
    • My Recordings on ARCHIVE
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2008, 02:16:57 PM »
if you want to borrow a 744t let me know. obviously, you pay shipping both ways.

Microphones:
CCM4v (pair)
mk6 (pair) and mk41 (pair) with kc5's & cmc6's
mk21 (1) for those M/S situations

Preamps:
Sonosax SX-M2

Recorders:
Sound Devices 722
Edirol R-01

My Recordings on archive http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=%22ian%20stone%22

Offline Jhurlbs81

• My LMA collection
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2008, 02:18:34 PM »
if you want to borrow a 744t let me know. obviously, you pay shipping both ways.

You're awesome, Ian.
FREE JERRYFREAK!

Offline JasonSobel

• My show list
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2008, 02:29:12 PM »
what was confusing me was that it's not called an "word clock" input (which is why I never tried it the times I've used an AD2K). 

but straight from the manual, at the bottom of page 5, it says:

A digital audio input jack allows the AD2402-96 to phase-lock to an external AES or SPDIF digital audio reference. Most 2-channel applications will not require an external reference and many users will never need to use the external reference input. However, the external reference is provided to allow phase-accurate multi-track recording with two or more AD2402-96 converters.

and then on page 12:

The “LOCK” LED will turn on whenever the AD2402-96 is locked to a reliable digital audio reference of the correct frequency. The digital input/reference signal must be AES/EBU or SPDIF.

If the lock light is off, the AD2402-96 is operating as clock master (using the internal crystal reference).

so there you go.  the key thing, when syncing the AD2K to the V3 clock is to NOT use the word clock output.  the manual says that it needs to be AES or S/PDIF for the digital lock.  the good thing is that the V3 has both S/PDIF and AES ouputs, so whichever one you aren't using to send to your record deck, you can use the other one to the AD2K to get it all sync'ed up.

kirk97132

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2008, 02:40:32 PM »

You're awesome, Ian.

QFT   

Offline Jhurlbs81

• My LMA collection
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2008, 06:45:36 PM »
<buys MT II>
FREE JERRYFREAK!

Offline Jhurlbs81

• My LMA collection
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2008, 10:03:10 PM »
so there you go.  the key thing, when syncing the AD2K to the V3 clock is to NOT use the word clock output.  the manual says that it needs to be AES or S/PDIF for the digital lock.  the good thing is that the V3 has both S/PDIF and AES ouputs, so whichever one you aren't using to send to your record deck, you can use the other one to the AD2K to get it all sync'ed up.

Connected AES out from V3 to the digital input on the AD2K and bam! lock led on the 2k flashed for a few seconds then  stayed solid and lit. Awesome. Got the second microtrack today at Guitar Center for 240.  Not too bad! I might sell my MT1 and buy another 2.  The other great thing is I have an easy way to run a backup for those "must not screw this one up" type nights.  ;)

I'm going to tape The Brew tomorrow night and see if I can do 4's>v3>MT1 + sbd>ad2k>mt2.  And apparently I can use Sound Studio to do the mix down which I already have.  This is such an awesome feature about my setup that I didn't even realize I had!   ;D

« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 10:06:40 PM by Jesse Hurlburt »
FREE JERRYFREAK!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.123 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com