Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: T-bar for Schoeps MK41s with Nbob actives  (Read 2372 times)

Offline guitard

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
T-bar for Schoeps MK41s with Nbob actives
« on: June 16, 2022, 05:34:45 PM »
I don't do any open taping, so I'm not very familiar with stands and mounting options, etc.  I've read through some of the relevant threads, but because of my lack of knowledge, I am still kind of lost.

There is a 400 seat venue that I frequent that has a big wooden crossbeam parallel with the front of the stage about 20-25 feet in front of the stage.  It's probably 12"x12" and has lots of wires strung along the front of it, a few lights, some conduit pipes, etc.  Location (sound) wise, it's a perfect place to put some mics.  However, it doesn't have anything that I could use as a shelf or a place to set up my rig.  I could probably figure out a way to tape them up there, but that would be a pain (I'd have to get a chair to stand on ... it would be a hassle).  I'd like to get a t-bar (or some other device) that I can attach to the crossbeam.  Basically, I'm looking for a way to attach my rig (MK41s, Platinum Nbox and Sony A10) on the front side of that crossbeam.  TIA for the help!
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

mcfoster

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: T-bar for Schoeps MK41s with Nbob actives
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2022, 06:02:14 PM »
A picture of this beam would probably help you a lot.Maybe you can pull one off the venue website? Would it be a permanent installation? I am sure the crew will give you too many ideas, fast!

Also, there is this: https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=186751.0

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2022, 06:40:19 PM »
What venue? maybe we can find some pictures
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2022, 06:46:43 PM »
I don't do any open taping, so I'm not very familiar with stands and mounting options, etc.  I've read through some of the relevant threads, but because of my lack of knowledge, I am still kind of lost.

There is a 400 seat venue that I frequent that has a big wooden crossbeam parallel with the front of the stage about 20-25 feet in front of the stage.  It's probably 12"x12" and has lots of wires strung along the front of it, a few lights, some conduit pipes, etc.  Location (sound) wise, it's a perfect place to put some mics.  However, it doesn't have anything that I could use as a shelf or a place to set up my rig.  I could probably figure out a way to tape them up there, but that would be a pain (I'd have to get a chair to stand on ... it would be a hassle).  I'd like to get a t-bar (or some other device) that I can attach to the crossbeam.  Basically, I'm looking for a way to attach my rig (MK41s, Platinum Nbox and Sony A10) on the front side of that crossbeam.  TIA for the help!

PM on the way. :cheers:

Offline guitard

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2022, 08:07:45 PM »
A picture of this beam would probably help you a lot.

This is a crap picture, but you can see the beam and the support pole (mast) on the underside of the beam.

Would it be a permanent installation?

Maybe.  It's usually dark in there and would probably be safe up there.  I can't imagine anyone would look up there, and even if they did, I doubt they would recognize a bar as anything unusual.

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline guitard

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2022, 08:20:02 PM »
Maybe ... I could make a little 10x6 inch shelf and support it with a couple of these L-shaped wall mounts.  I could connect a mic bar to the shelf, and have plenty of space for the pre-amp and A10.  I could take the shelf down and take it with me when I'm done and leave the wall mounts.

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2022, 09:04:49 PM »
When I clamp my rig to pillars, I usually just use gaff tape to tape my nbox and A10 up by the mics. Maybe you could get a big clamp from home depot and use some epoxy to attach a stud?
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

Offline if_then_else

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2022, 12:55:23 AM »
You could use two clamps (superclamp or Cardellini), one for the mics and one for the recorder. I guess your A10 has 1/4 inch threading which might be more sturdy than taping it to the beam with gaffer tape.

Offline IMPigpen

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2022, 01:18:59 AM »
I'll ask the dumb question I guess.  From your description, it sounds like this is a  >:D job and you don't want people noticing it.  If you have to get up on a chair and attached whatever setup you land on and I'm assuming to get at least your MK41s, Nbox, and A10 at the end of the show, won't that be pretty obvious to the venue staff/band, etc?   If it's for open taping, then never mind.
Mics: Neumann KM184s; ADK TLs; Naiant X-R omnis & cards; MM-BSM-7M omnis
Pres/Battery boxes: Sound Devices MixPre; Naiant IPA; Sound Professionals SP-SPSB-6
Recorders: Tascam DR-70mkii; Tascam DR-60Dmkii; Tascam DR-40; Roland R-07
Cassette Transfers:  Nakamichi CR-1A->Tascam DR-60Dmkii
DAT Transfers:  Tascam DA-20mkii->Marantz PMD-670

My LMA uploads:  https://archive.org/details/@brandon_smith

**Have any old Strangefolk or Eddie From Ohio shows not on the LMA?  Let me know!**

Offline guitard

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2022, 09:54:42 AM »
I'll ask the dumb question I guess.  From your description, it sounds like this is a  >:D job and you don't want people noticing it.  If you have to get up on a chair and attach whatever setup you land on and I'm assuming to get at least your MK41s, Nbox, and A10 at the end of the show, won't that be pretty obvious to the venue staff/band, etc?   If it's for open taping, then never mind.

No - that's a good question.  Although its website probably says something in the FAQ about no taping or video, the reality is the club (owner) doesn't give two shits about this stuff.  The only time the club has ever said anything is when the band itself made it clear ahead of time that it didn't want to see any cameras.  But that's only been once or twice in three years.  The bands that play there are typical for a small venue like this near a big city - lots of '80s metal, blues, jazz, well known local acts, etc.  So mostly bands that don't have much for a crew.  They do most of the load in/out and setup themselves with assistance from a few venue staff, rarely have their own soundman, etc.  And also, I have gotten to know the venue owner a bit and I've helped out a guy a couple of times who had venue and band permission to film and get a soundboard feed.

So, it's sort of >:D ... but I really only have to worry about the band saying something; but most probably wouldn't even bother even if they saw me putting something up there (not to mention, they would be busy getting ready or backstage when I'd do it).  And chances are really good that it wouldn't stand out to anyone on the venue staff either.  Really, my biggest threat is probably a patron stealing it.  But it's up high enough that you'd have to get a chair and it's mostly an older crowd (that I fit into well!).

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.084 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com