Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Adobe Audition question  (Read 2155 times)

Offline nedstruzz

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Adobe Audition question
« on: March 06, 2007, 08:18:04 PM »
I have just started working with some of my 24bit files and I noticed that when I EQ, Pan etc etc and then bounce the edited version to an open track, Audition is automatically changing the file from 24 to 16 bits?  Does anyone know why and how to change this setting?

Any help would be hugely appreciated.   
B&K 4023's >Neve Portico>744T

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Adobe Audition question
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 10:54:56 PM »
Maybe confirm Settings | Multitrack | Mixdowns | 32-bit and Settings | Multitrack | Pre-Mixing | 32-bit.

What steps are you following, exactly, after performing your edits and bouncing the edited version to an open track?  Are you doing so within the multitrack or wave editor?

Edit to add:  When editing (and if the above Pre-Mixing option is set to 32-bit) Audacity performs operations at 32bfp, not 24-bit.  So after editing a 24-bit you'll want to dither back down to 24-bit (or 16-bit, depending on your preferences).
« Last Edit: March 06, 2007, 10:57:36 PM by Brian Skalinder »
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Yane

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2007, 07:51:07 PM »
For Version 2.0, it's edit | preferences | audio mix down -- pick your output resolution, dither, etc....

You could send the track output to a bus instead, then mix the busses to the master output.

Offline nedstruzz

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2007, 05:18:21 PM »
OK so I have it to the point where I can make my pan and EQ edits in the Multitrack window and mixdown to an open track at 32bfp but when I try to dither back down to 24bits it is not doing it.  Strange because I can dither to 16bit but not 24!  Very frustrating!

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2007, 06:00:55 PM »
OK so I have it to the point where I can make my pan and EQ edits in the Multitrack window and mixdown to an open track at 32bfp but when I try to dither back down to 24bits it is not doing it.  Strange because I can dither to 16bit but not 24!  Very frustrating!

There are three ways to dither in Audition, all within the Waveform view (not the Multitrack view...could be options there, too, but I'm not familiar with them):

• Edit | Convert Sample Type - Provides for dithering to 32bfp, 16-bit, 8-bit (but not 24-bit...go figure).  Allows for manual configuration of dithering depth, p.d.f., and noise shaping.  Also provides for sample rate conversion, if desired.
  • Save As | Options - Higher target bit depths available:  32bfp, 24-bit, 20-bit (but not 16-bit...go figure).  Not sure what dithering options are used (p.d.f., noise shaping, etc.)
  • Plugin - options dependent on the plugin

At least that's how I recall it.  Kinda odd, I think.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline nedstruzz

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2007, 06:13:56 PM »
Awesome thanks Brian,  I just saved it as a 24bit file in the save as option. 

I agree kinda strange! 

Offline Yane

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2007, 11:48:51 AM »
The 32 bit files are only to allow for extra precision for processing. The actual audio data is only 24 bit.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.092 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com