Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Has ANYONE used the SoundDevices MixPre??  (Read 4658 times)

Uncle Jimmy

• Trade Count: (0)
Has ANYONE used the SoundDevices MixPre??
« on: July 22, 2004, 10:59:29 AM »
Guys,

if so, can you tell me if it worked well? I can upgrade my V2 to a V3 or for the same price i could keep the V2 and add a different pre to my bag of tricks. I run MBHO 603a mics and i have heard that the SoundDevices MP-2 is a good match, yet those are discontinued and i can't find one for sale used.

Lemme know...

-UJ

Offline sleepypedro

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Has ANYONE used the SoundDevices MixPre??
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2004, 11:47:53 AM »
you can find an mp2 used if you hang around long enough.

it's fully worthwhile; the mbho > mp2 combo sounds righteous.

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • The Jokell
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2004, 12:46:17 PM »
I run the Shure FP24, which is just a rebranded MixPre.  What do you want to know?
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Uncle Jimmy

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2004, 01:49:24 PM »
OK, never heard about any "rebranding" or whatever. How did you find out about it? Do you like it/prefer it to other preamps? What mics do you use it with?

Also where did you get it? And, if you dont mind my asking, How much?

That ought to get us started...

-UJ

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2004, 04:20:14 PM »
OK, never heard about any "rebranding" or whatever. How did you find out about it? Do you like it/prefer it to other preamps? What mics do you use it with?

Also where did you get it? And, if you dont mind my asking, How much?

That ought to get us started...

-UJ

I found out about it because I wanted an MP-2 for stealthing.  I couldn't find anything except for a Shure FP24.  If you look at their site, you can see that it's only a MixPre that has a Shure logo on it.  I picked it up from a guy on Oade (if you want to know the exact price, PM me).

I run the Audix Micros in front of it.  I think it's a good match as the Micros are a very flat mic and the MixPre is a very colorful pre (IMO).  As for how it compares to other pres, I think the size of it makes a huge play into how much I like it.  It also has very low noise in the pre stage, so if necessary you can crank it up and it won't sound shitty. ;)

There are lots of MP-2/MixPre sources out there.  I suggest you head over to the archive and find one with the mics that you like and give a listen.  That's probably the best way to figure out if you like it or not.

Uncle Jimmy

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2004, 04:59:56 PM »
Yeah, i kinda just wanna buy one and run it. Too many variables in other people's tapes.

Thanks!

Anyone else wanna jump in, or, better yet, anyone else wanna sell me one of these?

-UJ

Offline Chris K

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Bound to cover just a little more ground
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2004, 05:37:42 PM »
isnt the V2 a mic pre-amp? why would you put an mp-2 (a different pre-amp) in front of a V2? the V2 doesnt have an A/D does it?

please explain?

and if you are so inclined...i will trade you my mp-2 for your V2 for a week or month, or so
My gear: JK Labs AKG DVC > M10
              AKG 460 ck61/ck62/ck63 > DR-70D

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2004, 08:50:27 PM »
isnt the V2 a mic pre-amp? why would you put an mp-2 (a different pre-amp) in front of a V2? the V2 doesnt have an A/D does it?

please explain?

and if you are so inclined...i will trade you my mp-2 for your V2 for a week or month, or so

He never said he was going to run them at the same time.  Just that he would have both for different situations.

Offline Chris K

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Bound to cover just a little more ground
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2004, 09:15:03 PM »
must have been reading too fast  :P
My gear: JK Labs AKG DVC > M10
              AKG 460 ck61/ck62/ck63 > DR-70D

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

Offline discopanic1

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2004, 06:01:21 PM »
I have a mixpre in front of Schoeps Mk4 ->CMC6 and I am just a beginner so I don't even really know how to run it precise enough probably.  I have some attenueters set at 20 on the line into the pre.  If someone has any tips let me know, thanks alot for the post man.

Jesse

Offline AT853rxwh

• Taperssection Member
  • You wanna stick those white mics where?
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2004, 03:32:37 PM »
I just do what ever John Kelly Does.   :P

I bought John's Mod AD20 and then went the same route as he with an MP2. I have a UA-5, had a ad20, and all I can say is that the MP2 is the best of the bunch.  Noise floor is unnoticeable for most recording (that is why a lot of nature recording folks like em)  Runs a long time on a couple of rechargeable double AA's, and makes the best tapes I have heard with my mics.  Get it.  You won't regret it!
"Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!"

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2004, 12:39:05 AM »

I bought John's Mod AD20 and then went the same route as he with an MP2. I have a UA-5, had a ad20, and all I can say is that the MP2 is the best of the bunch.  Noise floor is unnoticeable for most recording (that is why a lot of nature recording folks like em)  Runs a long time on a couple of rechargeable double AA's, and makes the best tapes I have heard with my mics.  Get it.  You won't regret it!

So when are you gettin a V3? ;)

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2004, 03:14:15 AM »
I have a mixpre in front of Schoeps Mk4 ->CMC6

how do you get a mixpre in front of the mics? ;)

Offline AT853rxwh

• Taperssection Member
  • You wanna stick those white mics where?
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2004, 05:46:26 PM »

So when are you gettin a V3? ;)

Ok, almost anything.... I will prolly stay with the mp2 til I hear something that does better in the size package that I have.  The minirig rocks for size and quality of recording... ASk Moke he actually has heard it...
"Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!"

Offline Tim

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2004, 07:20:54 PM »
I have a mixpre in front of Schoeps Mk4 ->CMC6 and I am just a beginner so I don't even really know how to run it precise enough probably.  I have some attenueters set at 20 on the line into the pre.  If someone has any tips let me know, thanks alot for the post man.

Jesse

you shouldn't need attenuueters between the mics and the preamp...
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.08 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com