Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Help me fix my Sony RMR-D3 Digital I/O adapter!  (Read 5664 times)

hexyjones

• Trade Count: (0)
Help me fix my Sony RMR-D3 Digital I/O adapter!
« on: November 22, 2004, 01:58:14 PM »
The RMR-D3 is a box that connects to a D7 or D8 via the 7 pin and gives IR remote capabilities plus a Toslink and Coax Digital I/O...

I think something is wrong with the power supply...

The AC seems to hit the board and then go through some sort of capacitor? and then to the transformer. A 2 wire lead...presumably DC? comes out of the transformer and connects back to the board...

Question 1

Is it possible that the big capacitor has blown? Thus delivering no current to the transformer....?

Question 2

If I can get the proper DC voltage...can I just make this thing portable...?

Offline itsmyforte

• Taperssection Newbie
Re: Help me fix my Sony RMR-D3 Digital I/O adapter!
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2004, 03:43:32 PM »
does the device have a wall wort or floor brick for a power supply?  or does the thing have a cord that plugs into the wall?  that circuit will run off DC but i don't know if the power supply is built in or external.

hexyjones

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2004, 03:54:06 PM »
does the device have a wall wort or floor brick for a power supply?  or does the thing have a cord that plugs into the wall?  that circuit will run off DC but i don't know if the power supply is built in or external.

Well it has a transformer built into in...I think it's sort of like having a wal-wart built right in...(thats what Im hoping)

The AC comes right into the board...through this capacitor(on the board) and back out to the transformer...(all housed in one box...) - and then out of the transformer as DC (presumably - ) back to the circuit board...

THe capacitor - I think - is the kind of thing that is used as "surge suppression" in cheap power strips...

Suprised Oade or somebody hadn't DC modded this thing long ago...that's why I was wondering if it was possible...

Here's some pictures from when I tried to sell it on Ebay...

http://www.mercersburg.com/auction/rmd3k/

Offline itsmyforte

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2004, 05:28:10 PM »
is the capacitor you see possibly an MOV?  what voltage are you getting out of the xformer?  you can check to see if the primary winding is open by checking the impedance with the input cable. 

Offline Chris K

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Bound to cover just a little more ground
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2004, 07:21:06 PM »
i had my rm-3dk stop working all of a sudden back in april. i took it to paul at prodigital and he replaced an internal fuse. paul said this was a common flaw in the remote commander. i actually searched the dat heads archive list and found this as a common complaint on the commander...not that i didnt take pauls word for it.

i just sold mine on ebay.
My gear: JK Labs AKG DVC > M10
              AKG 460 ck61/ck62/ck63 > DR-70D

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

hexyjones

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2004, 07:32:10 PM »
i had my rm-3dk stop working all of a sudden back in april. i took it to paul at prodigital and he replaced an internal fuse. paul said this was a common flaw in the remote commander. i actually searched the dat heads archive list and found this as a common complaint on the commander...not that i didnt take pauls word for it.

i just sold mine on ebay.

I wonder if by "internal fuse" - he meant this big capacitor...which yes, I think MOV was the term I was searching for...

hexyjones

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2004, 07:36:03 PM »

Well it has a transformer built into in...I think it's sort of like having a wal-wart built right in...(thats what Im hoping)

The AC comes right into the board...through this capacitor(on the board) and back out to the transformer...(all housed in one box...) - and then out of the transformer as DC (presumably - ) back to the circuit board...

THe capacitor - I think - is the kind of thing that is used as "surge suppression" in cheap power strips...

Suprised Oade or somebody hadn't DC modded this thing long ago...that's why I was wondering if it was possible...

Here's some pictures from when I tried to sell it on Ebay...

http://www.mercersburg.com/auction/rmd3k/

This doesn't sound right. You ought to get pure AC from the transformer. The transformer might have a thermal fuse embedded in it's windings.

Possibly a surge-suppressor across the two AC leads and then you probably find a few diodes rectifying the AC to DC.

Then you find the power supply capacitor smoothing out the DC supply voltage.

Hmmm...I thought at transformer could produce DC and AC voltages..?

But yeah - Im looking closer at the transformer itself...

hexyjones

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2004, 07:40:01 PM »
Wait!!!...I found a little black disc that says of all things..."fuse" - never seen one like that before...

can I get this part?...it looks like a pencil eraser - except black...150mA 125V

Shit I already sold the remote wand!!!

Oh well I sold the DAT too -  so really am just looking at it as an interface...

Offline Chris K

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2004, 10:35:39 PM »
paul gave me the fuse in a little baggie...i think i still have it. if i do i'll take a picture of it an post it

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

Offline Chris K

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2004, 11:26:03 PM »
well i found it...but i cant find the invoice. i made a copy of it and sent the original with the unit i sold on ebay found the invoice. which says "Replaced open fuse. Parts:  Fuse, WICKMAN T160mA. cost of parts $3, labor $75/hr at 1/2 hr or 37.50. total was 40.50 for repair of my rmr-d3. hope these photos help

« Last Edit: November 23, 2004, 04:32:05 PM by Chris K »

-Elvis Presley

hexyjones

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2004, 12:42:52 AM »
+Ts and thanks all...I found a place in Colombus with the fuse...will report in later...

Offline sickrick43

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm NOT a fucking llama!
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2004, 09:54:15 AM »

Hmmm...I thought at transformer could produce DC and AC voltages..?

But yeah - Im looking closer at the transformer itself...

Transformers operate by the expanding/collapsing fields of force generated by an alternating input.  So you'd have to have an a/c input to get an output.  At least that's what I was taught in electronics school...

Rick
4 Track & CD Live Rig: TLM-170's->V3->SD-744T  CDLive->TC Finalzer Express->Tascam CDR-900SL

24 Track Rig: Audix D6/D2/D4/I5/SCX1-C/O->Whilrwind SPC82 ISO Splitters->DigimaxLT's->Alesis HD24 (Lucid GenX192 Master Clock)

Canon 1Ds MarkII - 16-35/2.8L - 24-70/2.8L - 70-200/2.8L IS - 180/f:3.5 Macro - 550EX Flash

"this isnt a dramatic bitchy exit, its just time to go." - Big Ray (queen of the dramatic bitchy exit)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.096 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com