Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: MT's A/D...? how is it?  (Read 2641 times)

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I thought I heard.......
MT's A/D...? how is it?
« on: March 24, 2006, 07:47:21 AM »
good , bad...acceptable?
what is it close to ?

does it sound as good as a ua5 in that regard, ?
just curious.

I've got a chance to change my rig up a bit, and run m248>MT.  I'm thinking about it...but am having trouble deciding if I want to let my ACM660 go.  its such a sweeeeeeeetttt sounding box. 
I'm just feeling like I want 24bit again.  stupid gear upgrade bug.  My shit sounds awesome right now, and here I am contemplating a change.  I guess i'm not happy until I start making shitty recordings again.

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
Re: MT's A/D...? how is it?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2006, 09:12:58 AM »
The big problem is the noise.. Does the m248 only add 20dB?  The noise probably wouldn't be much of an issue with rock levels but anything quiet that requires more gain would suffer.  You'd either have to add gain using the mt or in post.  I ran 4061 > MT as a backup for a metheny show and it sounded pretty good except for quite a bit of background noise.

Other than that big limitation, the A/D seems pretty decent.

Offline shruggy1987

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Team Ithaca
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2006, 09:21:01 AM »
if you run into the 1/4" TRS inputs, the A/D sounds good to my ears.  it does a great job IMO.  i have never run a UA-5 to compare, but of the recordings I've heard of both, I'd say the A/D is comparable.  i've never had background noise troubles with the MT running at 24/48.

+t for getting the upgrade bug...i've got it too, just no money to do anything about it yet.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2006, 09:22:46 AM by shruggy1987 »
SP LSD2 > bm2 UA-5 (coax out) > M-Audio Microtrack
SP LSD2 > bm2 UA-5 > MacBook Pro

Offline Chanher

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Colorado Crew
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2006, 01:14:27 PM »
i really should've run line-in when I had one, but I didn't. but here is doug's opinion, if it matters...

"Hello !
I feel the analog noise is too audible to do much to it, especially via the TRS jacks. I feel an analog PCB rebuild is in order, perhaps let a analog PCB grounding engineer take a crack at it (not a crack pipe as these guys seem to have done !). The 3.5MM jack sounds best, hence I did do a bit to it. Mine has a full analog path upgrade but the MOD I offer is only an input overload MOD, it drops the fixed gain by 12dB, this makes it easy to use for music recording with the supplied T-Mic or DPA 4061s. Mine has the T-MOD type upgrade.
peace...Doug"
Line Audio CM4 / AT853Rx (c,h,o) / Studio Projects C4 MKII (c,h,o)
Sound Devices MP-2 / bm2p+ Edirol UA-5
Zoom F3 / F6 / Marantz Oade Warm Mod PMD661 / Tascam DR-70D

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2006, 01:37:56 PM »
i really should've run line-in when I had one, but I didn't. but here is doug's opinion, if it matters...

"Hello !
I feel the analog noise is too audible to do much to it, especially via the TRS jacks. I feel an analog PCB rebuild is in order, perhaps let a analog PCB grounding engineer take a crack at it (not a crack pipe as these guys seem to have done !). The 3.5MM jack sounds best, hence I did do a bit to it. Mine has a full analog path upgrade but the MOD I offer is only an input overload MOD, it drops the fixed gain by 12dB, this makes it easy to use for music recording with the supplied T-Mic or DPA 4061s. Mine has the T-MOD type upgrade.
peace...Doug"

Some folks spent a lot of time measuring and quantifying the noise on the 3.5mm vs. 1/4" inputs. They published those results and they directly contradict what Doug says above (the TRS were more quiet).  I am certain that Doug was asked about this apparent contradiction and was dissapointed that he never replied.

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2006, 01:47:07 PM »
well..
we'll see I suppose.  hope I dont come out of it whishing I bought an R1.

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2006, 02:08:26 PM »
Why wouldn't you buy an R1, Nick?  What does the MT have to offer above & beyond the R1?

I'm surprised to see you leaving the 660 so soon, Nick  ???
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2006, 02:23:06 PM »
well...I can get a 660 any time.  248's are hard to come by.

the MT offers "bit bucket" functionality, should I get a V3 in the future, and that is the only reason.  if I knew i'd be running line in from here on out, and I may decide that anyway, then its r1 all the way.

plus, i seem to be on the "it ain't broke, so it needs to be fucked with" mentality w/my gear.

Offline jbraveman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2006, 06:28:12 PM »
I've been pretty happy with how it sounds. Nick I sent you my scofield recording which was made via the TRS inputs.  It would be nice to hear an R1 to MT comp, however.

Offline larrysellers

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Qualified
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2006, 08:41:01 PM »
http://www.archive.org/audio/etree-details-db.php?id=32553

This is a link to a p&f show using the microtrack's a/d. Pretty cool setup this person was using.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2006, 09:04:45 AM by larrysellers »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.232 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com