Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Good deal on a Oade Modified UA-5???  (Read 5815 times)

Offline jp118

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Good deal on a Oade Modified UA-5???
« on: August 07, 2006, 05:16:48 PM »
Asking $500 for it which seems a little steep.

I know it's a nice sounding unit- is it for me?  I don't know.

I'm looking to record to my new MacBook Pro- looking for a simple A/D pre-amp that I can record stereo feeds from.  It must have an USB/FW out so I can record to the laptop.

any and all suggestions appreciated.

thanks!

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Good deal on a Oade Modified UA-5???
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2006, 05:49:37 PM »
Oade does a number of different mods to the UA-5, $500 could be a great deal or could be a rip-off depending on which mod, we'd need more info.

also, it does not have FW out, only USB.

what kind of mics are you running in front of it?
JW mod AKG 460b (ck61/ck63 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x)>  EAA PSP-2 > 722

Segue Dogstar XLRs and Interconnects

ISO: (2) ck2x

Offline jp118

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2006, 02:26:55 PM »
well... I work at a production company and the only mics I have at my disposal (right now) area RE-50 (standard stick mic for television) and a Sennheiser 416T (shotgun mic- what I've used in the past). 

What I have done with the dat machine we have (at work) is run the 416T in mixed with a house feed from the mixer (of whatever venue i'm at). 

I'd like to cut out the dat machine and use my new laptop- i will deal with buying/finding better microphones next.

Here is what he is including in the sale:

Box, an External Battery, Battery Cable Car Charger for the Battery. AC Wal-Wart for the Box and the Drivers

I still don't know what exact MOD it is... but i'm hoping to find out.  From what I gather from our discussions the MOD added overall better recording components.

thanks!

Offline jp118

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2006, 02:28:07 PM »
one more Q:

I know it doesnt have FW out... but do I need to worry?  My new Macbook has USB 2 (as well as FW 800) so should I be concerned?  Is there any difference in recorded quality?

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2006, 02:35:44 PM »
one more Q:

I know it doesnt have FW out... but do I need to worry?  My new Macbook has USB 2 (as well as FW 800) so should I be concerned?  Is there any difference in recorded quality?

firwire is more stable for transferring at a maintained rate, but there are plenty of people that record to laptops using the USB on the ua-5 without issues.

it sounds as though the ua-5 has one of the performance mods and not just the digi mod. find out which one exactly its either...

t, t+, w, w+, p, p+

if its one of the + moded units then 500 is a good deal, if it doesn't have the + mod you can probably find a better deal on one here in the yard sale

Offline jp118

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2006, 02:47:20 PM »
ok.  i got the details:

The Exact Mod is the "Warm Mod Plus"

It includes the Digi Mod, The Input Stage Rebuild in the "Warm" Flavor (ie think somewhat tubelike), and the Power Supply Rebuild (The Plus).

I'm just wondering if this unit is a bit overkill for my needs.  I just want something with a USB/FW output....

what else does one do with a unit like this?

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2006, 02:58:43 PM »
that is a good deal for the W+ mod.

i can't answer whether or not its overkill for your needs. you can use other usb devices that are cheaper, but may not be the sound you want. the warm mod as the name implies adds warmth in the pre stage and is much cleaner than the stock ua-5, its a very nice sounding pre/ADC. i am not familiar with the mics you mentioned above so i don't know if they will compliment eachother.

if you can afford to spend the $500 for the w+ ua-5, i don't think you would be unhappy at all, its a great device and probably one of the better values for a pre/ADC box in this hobby. i believe these units sold upwards of 600/650 new, but i could be wrong.

there are tons of shows on archive.org using the w+ ua-5, i suggest you check some out and see what you think before you purchase.

Offline tscales

• Taperssection Regular
    • .:www.timscales.net:.
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2006, 03:04:06 PM »
FWIW - I recently aid about 600 for a w-mod+ and I love it.  I am goin to start taping with my laptop AND my D8 real soon.
Life's a garden.  Dig it.

AKG 393s > UA-5 (w-mod +) > D8 / Fujitsu T70G

Live Recordings..  http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/tscales

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2006, 03:21:32 PM »
keep in mind that when oade mods the ua5, it takes out the ability to use the ua5 for playback.

Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline jp118

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2006, 03:25:46 PM »
keep in mind that when oade mods the ua5, it takes out the ability to use the ua5 for playback.

why would it play back to begin with?  It isn't recording to anything- just outputing the signal.

thanks for all the feedback!

BTW:  what is a D8 (i'm assuming a mic?)

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2006, 03:30:49 PM »
unmodified you can use the ua-5 to playback from your computer via USB, ie send music from your computer to an external deck - a feature few people with our needs use, but good call pointing it out mmmmmmmmatt

D8 is a DAT deck, you can send a signal via USB as well as a digital out

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2006, 03:38:09 PM »
Asking $500 for it which seems a little steep.

I know it's a nice sounding unit- is it for me?  I don't know.

I'm looking to record to my new MacBook Pro- looking for a simple A/D pre-amp that I can record stereo feeds from.  It must have an USB/FW out so I can record to the laptop.

any and all suggestions appreciated.

thanks!

I recommend the Presonus Firebox.  This also has four analog inputs (two mic, two line) so you can do matrixes later on.

It is $300 street, and sometimes just over $200 here in the YS.

Very stable with Cubase/ASIO drivers.

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline jp118

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2006, 11:16:13 AM »
I recommend the Presonus Firebox.  This also has four analog inputs (two mic, two line) so you can do matrixes later on.

It looks nice- esp. with the multiple inputs, qbase included, and the ability to daisy chain them (down the line)

the reveiws i've read go from outstanding to awful (mostly outstanding), but the awful ones sight digital pops and interference from the box.... do you have this unit?

are you recommending based on your experience or what you think- based on my post- might work for my needs?

THanks again!

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2006, 12:22:18 PM »

.... but the awful ones sight digital pops and interference from the box....

You can get these kinds of things with any laptop based recording rig.  Most likely these problems were because the person running it didn't tweak out their windows op system.  I have personally had lots of problems with my HP lappy based multi rig until I set up a dual boot and tweaked the hell out of xp.  There are also blips that some lappy's create when the internal charging unit checks the battery for charge (remove the battery or don't use wall power and all is good), and there is a firewire patch available through microsoft that handles a lot of other issues for audio recording through firewire.  Most mac lappy users will tell you they don't have any problems ever so you are probably in the clear either way.  If you have heard problems from mac users I would listen, but don't listen to reviews with pc's.

I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2006, 12:46:03 PM »
mac lappy users will tell you they don't have any problems ever so you are probably in the clear either way.  If you have heard problems from mac users I would listen, but don't listen to reviews with pc's.

whats a pc ;)
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.08 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com