Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: CS Mic2496 question(s)  (Read 2815 times)

Offline divamum

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
CS Mic2496 question(s)
« on: November 26, 2006, 06:48:03 PM »
Hi all -

Thanks to a lovely gearslut buddy, I have one of these to use (gotta love friends who upgrade and share :) :) :) :) )

The unit is currently configured to power CS HEB's, however I will be using it with my CMC8s for the time being. 

However, some questions (and yes, I'll call Len as needed but you guys don't scare me as much ;))

1.  Will my CMC8s run adequately using the power setup for HEBs?  Chris at SP says that the CMC8s can handle up to 12v so it seems like they won't get fried (?) but I just want to check and see if anybody has tried using regular plug-in power mics with this unit when it's configured for the DPA mics.  What happens?  Or, what SHOULD happen in theory?  I will run via a BB if necessary, but figured I'd ask about this before adding another link int he chain.

2.  Can the 2496 be used NON optical?  I also have an R09 and would also be interested in using this unit as a standalone preamp (iow, running analog and letting the Edirol do the AD).  How would I set it up for that?

TIA for any help. Hope to get this rig up and running for a gig next week so am trying to get as much info as possible!

:)
DPA4060
R09

Offline live2496

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Gidluck Mastering
Re: CS Mic2496 question(s)
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2006, 09:23:53 PM »
On the SPDIF, both toslink and coaxial connections are active at the same time. Both outputs can be used.

Gordon
AEA R88MKII > SPL Crimson 3 > Tascam DA-3000

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2006, 09:27:57 PM »
2.  Can the 2496 be used NON optical?  I also have an R09 and would also be interested in using this unit as a standalone preamp (iow, running analog and letting the Edirol do the AD).  How would I set it up for that?

As I read the Mic2496 specs, it only outputs a digital signal, so you can't run analog-out to the R-09.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline divamum

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2006, 10:08:39 PM »
Thanks Brian - I did indeed read all that info, but I'm as yet enough of a n00b that I couldn't entirely interpret what was there!   Shame about that, but oh well... at least thanks to Rockbox I can definitely run it into the iRiver and will be very interested to hear how it sounds :)
DPA4060
R09

Offline live2496

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Gidluck Mastering
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2006, 10:47:36 PM »
Sorry, evidently I did not read your question carefully enough to see that you meant analog.

Yes, correct. The Mic2496 is digital out only. No analog outputs.
(Thanks Brian)
AEA R88MKII > SPL Crimson 3 > Tascam DA-3000

Offline divamum

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2006, 08:02:19 AM »
Thanks guys.  Just waiting for the breakout cable for my mics and then we'll see how it goes.  I'm going to try running the CMC8's straight in on the HEB 9v powering and see if it works; if not, I guess I'll be rush-ordering a BB from somewhere.... 

DPA4060
R09

Offline divamum

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2006, 11:12:45 AM »
Just an  update - my CMC8 mics seem to be running on the Core's DPA "self-power" power setup (it's 9v).  I have yet to run it for more than a quick test just to see if I got a signal, but I most certainly DID get a signal and it seemed to be running fine - we'll see how it goes as I test it out more extensively!
DPA4060
R09

Offline ghibliss

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2007, 11:34:42 AM »
There is a dip switch internally which needs to be configured to supply phantom power for microphone shwihc require it!  I have a Mic 2496 as well using dpa 4061's.  The Mic 2496 is set-up configured to pwoer these pieces witht eh proper voltage and not phantom 48 volts which woudl fry them microphones.  Go to the Coresound websiote and look at the user manual which is on line for more information.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.057 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com