Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: hack output of SP - SPSB1 ?  (Read 2021 times)

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • goes to 11
hack output of SP - SPSB1 ?
« on: May 04, 2007, 01:12:29 PM »
recently picked up a pair of Sound Pros AT853s and an SPSB1 battbox for a good price....
since the box's output is a mini plug it would take additional cables ( female mini to 1/4" or RCA ) to run into my UA5 or other pre....since I have a s**tload of cables already I thought about changing out the mini plug to a mini jack....

any thoughts on how hard this would be....I have very little experience with a soldering iron but am generally good with my hands.....resource for parts?.....easier to do on the cable than at the box?

any help greatly appreciated.....
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline lordbelial

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Barcelona got tapers!
Re: hack output of SP - SPSB1 ?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2007, 01:44:15 PM »
recently picked up a pair of Sound Pros AT853s and an SPSB1 battbox for a good price....
since the box's output is a mini plug it would take additional cables ( female mini to 1/4" or RCA ) to run into my UA5 or other pre....since I have a s**tload of cables already I thought about changing out the mini plug to a mini jack....

any thoughts on how hard this would be....I have very little experience with a soldering iron but am generally good with my hands.....resource for parts?.....easier to do on the cable than at the box?

any help greatly appreciated.....

Just my guessing, but It would be better for you to change the terminals in the AT853 to mini XLR, then take some adapters SAMSON PM4 or similar and take profit of the phantom power on the UA-5. Believe me if you're going to record loud shows, the AT853 two wired will distort. Then if you've got the miniXLR you can power the mics with a 3-wire battery box or a preamp with miniXLR inputs.

I'll recommend you Chris Church to make this mod, if you don't feel nice with a soldering iron (believe me that soldering miniXLR sucks!)
Actual Gear:

stealth  - AT943 (c,o,sc,h) > ST-9100 > Edirol R09HR/I-River IHP-116(CFMod)
Ultrastealth  - DPA 4061 > ST-9100 > Edirol R09HR/I-River IHP-116(CFMod)
Open - BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > Segue Dogstars > Marantz PMD671 busman t-mod

Playback: PC > M-Audio Fast Track Pro > KRK RP6 actives

My shows on the archive: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/tapemaniac
Member of  Busman Audio team

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • goes to 11
Re: hack output of SP - SPSB1 ?
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2007, 02:51:50 PM »
I don't really want to spend much on this since I don't do much stealthing (although it was a good excuse to buy an Iriver....but that's another story)  what I'm trying to accomplish is basically...

AT853 > battbox > RCA > UA5 > PMD670.........for 4 mic mix providing the card DIN for a split omni pair
turns out the caps are very closely matched (luck i'm sure) so not having independent levels control on the UA5 doesn't hurt.......this would be for low volume shows so don't every body start crowing about mods and such....I don't want to increase the noise floor to be able to handle high SPL...I'll just use them in situations that are appropriate

and AT853 in hat > battbox > Iriver for outside shows from the middle....I've made a few great sounding tapes with an crappy Sony mic> md so I know with good placement these AT mics could pull a good tape or two from the right spot outside.

I hijacked my own thread.....does anyone know if you can replace miniplug to mini jack easily on an SPB1?
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.051 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com