Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tapers Section World Scoop (LOL) - Marantz PMD620  (Read 121281 times)

Offline ridemyllama

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: Tapers Section World Scoop (LOL) - Marantz PMD620
« Reply #165 on: January 03, 2008, 12:40:05 PM »
I don't use a Korg but an Edirol R-09 with Schoeps MK4>Nbox.  My backup recorder is a DAT M-1.  I use a fanny pack for all my gear.

Let me know how the PDM works out.

Don

Offline rdvdijk

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Rust Radio
« Reply #166 on: January 03, 2008, 12:50:16 PM »
???
My question is how hot does the PDM620 get under stealth recording conditions and can it take the slight movement asssociated with stealth recording?

I know the Korg gets hot while recording and was wondering about the PDM.  I've got to the point where I am paranoid to use my 2nd Edirol R-09 because of the input jack problems and am looking for a replacement that is small and more reliable.

Don

Don, I think the Korg gets as hot because of the internal hard drive. Since PMD620 uses a memory card (like the R-09), I would guess that it doesn't get as hot.

Roel
"Obviously Doing Well.."

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #167 on: January 04, 2008, 12:13:07 PM »
My question is how hot does the PDM620 get under stealth recording conditions and can it take the slight movement asssociated with stealth recording?

When I was testing out battery life, I ran the PMD620 for about 7 straight hours.  It was cool to the touch afterwards, and I suspect that if it does heat up, it is not by very much.  

Unless you are using the internal mics, or jerking the cable/jack around a lot, I think that a little movement is no problem at all (at least from the perspective of noise)...

Offline fp

• Taperssection Newbie
  • choco dependant
« Reply #168 on: January 07, 2008, 01:47:10 PM »
thanx Arni99 for all your tests ...
i have to change or buy an another recording gear i think i will go for this one ... cuse i know hat i will buy !!!
AT831 > MARANTZ PMD660 (busman mod)

Offline dickmadison

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #169 on: January 08, 2008, 11:11:51 PM »
Hey All,

Great discussion and review so far.  I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts regarding using the PMD620 or R-09 as a portable audio playback device?  I am leaning to purchase the PMD620 for recording sessions but I am also in the market for a a great portable audio playback device (primarily with wav files).  I know it is the craze for Ipods and such but I'm not one to go with conventions.  If anyone has any experience on using either device (or similar devices for playback), I would be interested in seeing what you had to say or if this was even recommended.  I am not sure if the internal DAC is of high quality or not.  I am aware that a possible headphone amp may be needed.  It seems that the both devices don't have digital out, either SPDIF or optical so portable DAC might be out of the question.  If you have any devices in mind that work well for listening to great music on the go.  I would greatly appreciate it!  Thanks all.

DM

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #170 on: January 10, 2008, 01:19:13 PM »
Hey All,

Great discussion and review so far.  I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts regarding using the PMD620 or R-09 as a portable audio playback device?  I am leaning to purchase the PMD620 for recording sessions but I am also in the market for a a great portable audio playback device (primarily with wav files).  I know it is the craze for Ipods and such but I'm not one to go with conventions.  If anyone has any experience on using either device (or similar devices for playback), I would be interested in seeing what you had to say or if this was even recommended.  I am not sure if the internal DAC is of high quality or not.  I am aware that a possible headphone amp may be needed.  It seems that the both devices don't have digital out, either SPDIF or optical so portable DAC might be out of the question.  If you have any devices in mind that work well for listening to great music on the go.  I would greatly appreciate it!  Thanks all.

DM
I tested mp3 (VBR) on my PMD620.
The sound is ok for ME ;) using good headphones.
It seems to play all mp3 bitrates, VBR aswell as CBR encoded.

You can´t navigate through folders as the 620 only accepts files in it´s ROOT directory!!!
Putting files into folders makes them unaccessable!
Using the up/down-ring-button you can navigate pretty quick through the single files though.
;)
Using WAV files shows "remaining time" too.

The menue-option "File-list" shows all tracks so you can easily find the desired track by pressing up/down.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 01:22:52 PM by Arni99 »
1st: SONY PCM-M10 + DPA 4060's + DPA MPS 6030 power supply (microdot)
2nd: iPhone 5 + "Rode iXY" microphone/"Zoom IQ5" microphone

Offline kbergend

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #171 on: January 12, 2008, 01:16:25 PM »
+t to Arni for all the valuable information on this unit!

I used my PMD620 last night for the first time at a solo acoustic show by Tift Merritt at Union Hall in Brooklyn.  These samples were recorded with AT943 cards straight into the recorder's mic-in jack at 24/44.1 with no attenuation.  (you'll probably want to download these rather than trying to stream them)

This was recorded about 8 feet away from the performer a little right of center.  It's unedited except for MBIT+ dithering to 16 bits.

http://keithfromny.org/downloads/tift_pmd620a.wav

She surprised us all by standing on the very edge of the stage in front of her mic stand and doing this song unplugged about 5 feet away from me.  I didn't have a chance to adjust the levels, so this track is after an 8dB boost in post with the applause limited:

http://keithfromny.org/downloads/tift_pmd620b.wav

Some discernible noise, but way better than analog recordings without an external pre on the MT1 (which sound like Niagara Falls in the background after this much gain).

In terms of operation, this unit really looks and feels light years more professional than the MT (which is about the same size).  It powers up and down almost instantly.  Once you've mastered the presets it is simple to operate, and the controls have a very solid feel.  The meters are easy to read, and the green level LED is adjustable.  As for battery life, with 2 rechargeable 1230mAh Ni-MH I had it recording for almost 2 hours with 5V supplied to the mics, listened to the show on the ride home, had it hooked up to my PC via USB all night, and the charge indicator still says full!  If you're looking for a compact analog recorder, IMO you're definitely better off spending a little more for this vs. the MT II.  I only wish it had digital in.

As a plug for my girl Tift (who recently moved to NYC), she played a bunch of new songs last night and I think her forthcoming album will be killer!  I'm looking forward to trying this unit out at a much louder show in the near future.
Keith from NY

Gefell M200/210, AKG 481/2/3, Milab DC-196 and VM-44 Link
Darktrain cables
Grace Lunatec V3, RME Fireface UFX
Tascam DR-680, Oade Concert R-44, Oade Concert PMD661, JoeCo BlackBox

Offline flintstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #172 on: January 12, 2008, 07:08:34 PM »
kebergend, very nice recording!  Thanks for sharing in WAV format.

I'm a little unclear about where the mics were during the performance.
At your seat?  On the stage a little right of center?

Flintstone

Offline kbergend

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #173 on: January 12, 2008, 07:59:05 PM »
At my seat.
Keith from NY

Gefell M200/210, AKG 481/2/3, Milab DC-196 and VM-44 Link
Darktrain cables
Grace Lunatec V3, RME Fireface UFX
Tascam DR-680, Oade Concert R-44, Oade Concert PMD661, JoeCo BlackBox

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #174 on: January 12, 2008, 09:42:02 PM »
I taped David Torn on the PMD620 tonight, line-in with Church Audio omnis and an ST-9100 pre-amp.  First recording with all of this gear; my only previous attempts were with Zoom H2 internals.  Everything worked flawlessly, and I think it turned out well (but only listened to it on crappy headphones).  I will try to post a sample tomorrow.

Very easy to use, little heat build-up (as per Don's question), and seemingly low noise...
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 06:21:09 PM by aaronji »

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #175 on: January 15, 2008, 06:21:47 PM »
I taped David Torn on the PMD620 tonight, line-in with Church Audio omnis and an ST-9100 pre-amp.  First recording with all of this gear; my only previous attempts were with Zoom H2 internals.  Everything worked flawlessly, and I think it turned out well (but only listened to it on crappy headphones).  I will try to post a sample tomorrow.

Very easy to use, little heat build-up (as per Don's question), and seemingly low noise...

Here are two short samples; there may be a small gap between them (I did it fast and on the fly; the boss is rampaging this week and I am working like mad).  Recorded in 24 bit, 48 kHz.  No modifications to the raw files at all.  Need some level boost, but turned out pretty nicely, I think.  Beware: strange music follows!  If you don't like this sort of thing, you won't enjoy the samples!  Lineage:  Church STC-11 (omni caps) > ST-9100 > PMD620...

http://www.box.net/shared/igme5o42s8

http://www.box.net/shared/u57ooelk4s

As I mentioned in the preceding post, this is basically my first recording...Only a few with a Zoom H2 (internals) prior.  Turned out pretty well, I think.  Six rows back; dead center...
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 06:25:30 PM by aaronji »

Offline HarpDoc

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #176 on: January 16, 2008, 02:01:43 AM »
Nice job, Aaron. I appreciate all your contributions here, including the samples. You weren't kidding--that makes Zappa sound mainstream. If you (or anyone else with a 620) could ever record a set with an external preamp and a set running straight into the 620, it would be nice to hear a comparison. I thought the sample that was previously posted of mics straight into the 620 sounded pretty good.

Offline rdvdijk

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Rust Radio
« Reply #177 on: January 16, 2008, 02:03:24 AM »

Here are two short samples; there may be a small gap between them (I did it fast and on the fly; the boss is rampaging this week and I am working like mad).  Recorded in 24 bit, 48 kHz.

Just lined these samples up in the multi-track editor in Audition, and they are seamless as far as I can tell. Nice!

Roel
"Obviously Doing Well.."

Offline seabrook

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #178 on: January 19, 2008, 06:16:02 PM »
"As I mentioned in the preceding post, this is basically my first recording...Only a few with a Zoom H2 (internals) prior."

Aaronji, how does sound compare to your H2 (w/internals) recordings compare?

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #179 on: January 19, 2008, 08:44:35 PM »
"As I mentioned in the preceding post, this is basically my first recording...Only a few with a Zoom H2 (internals) prior."

Aaronji, how does sound compare to your H2 (w/internals) recordings compare?

The sound is incredibly better with the Church mics and pre and Marantz recorder!  Compared to the Zoom with internals, it is just a world of difference...Much clearer and cleaner sound with much more articulated low-end...

EDIT:  I will never use the Zoom again (with the internals), barring some sort of problem with the other gear...
« Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 08:47:58 AM by aaronji »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.068 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com