Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Cleaning an internal computer DAT drive & PCM transferware?  (Read 1761 times)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Cleaning an internal computer DAT drive & PCM transferware?
« on: September 21, 2006, 06:08:08 PM »
I've got a HP DATstore DDS4 40GB tape drive from work that I'd like to transfer some tapes with.  It reports data errors and the clean led blinks when I've tried to use it to back up computer data.  I've run a dry-type cleaning tape through multiple times but get the same errors.  Any insight into cleaning one of these to salvage it?

Also any leads on software to read the raw PCM data off the DATs for transfering?
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
Re: Cleaning an internal computer DAT drive & PCM transferware?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2006, 06:20:45 PM »
I've got a HP DATstore DDS4 40GB tape drive from work that I'd like to transfer some tapes with.  It reports data errors and the clean led blinks when I've tried to use it to back up computer data.  I've run a dry-type cleaning tape through multiple times but get the same errors.  Any insight into cleaning one of these to salvage it?

Also any leads on software to read the raw PCM data off the DATs for transfering?

Always use Isopropanol to clean heads with. Also make sure you get lint free wipes to use with the isophropanol so as not to leave any fibers on the heads it’s most likely that the heads are out of alignment or they are dirty or magnetized. Look at the tape head if its metal is worn down then its toast and needs to be replaced. So you can try to clean and demagnetize the heads I am sure someone hear has a tape head demagnetizer they can lend you.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2006, 09:44:01 AM »
Thanks Chris, that's what I figured.  I've got a demagnitizer boxed away somewhere from my analog deck days.  Never demaged a helical scan head before, anything to be aware of?
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2006, 09:52:09 AM »
Thanks Chris, that's what I figured.  I've got a demagnitizer boxed away somewhere from my analog deck days.  Never demaged a helical scan head before, anything to be aware of?

Demagnetizing that head is a whole ball of wax I am not an expert in these heads. But the only thing to watch out for when cleaning the head is simply to never touch it with your hand and use lint free wipes on it.

That’s all I can say good luck I am sure there are other people in this forum that know more then I do about it.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2006, 10:09:48 AM »
I'll try the wipes first with a visual inspection for wear and then test with some data backups before going further with the demagin'.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com