Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: comp: Sonosax SX-M2D2 vs Zoom F6  (Read 4978 times)

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
comp: Sonosax SX-M2D2 vs Zoom F6
« on: January 27, 2020, 10:45:31 PM »
a few tracks from UM 2020-01-25, we were FOBish (~9ft stand) on the rail halfway back on the floor

sax rig: MMC 4011> MMP-C  bodies > Sax SX-M2D2 > lightning to metarecorder at 24/48 >audacity (vol. adjustment)> .flac
zoom rig: MMC 4011> MMP-C  bodies > Zoom F6 @ 32/96 > soundforge (vol adjustment, resample, bit depth converter) > .flac

also i swapped the channels on one of the set of files as we were slightly off center and you can hear that the imaging was opposite

foobar ABX plugin is in the .rar (file>preferences>components>install>reboot.... load files in playlist>select the 2 to compare > right click > utilities >ABX compare)

they are distinctly different i picked 8 out of 8 on each trial. but which sound do you prefer, and why?

EDIT:updated link

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RpIVLb2QKeZf-0ghQJkei3iSm_d7qHJK/view?usp=sharing
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 03:13:50 PM by jerryfreak »
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
Re: comp: Sonosax SX-M2D2 vs Zoom F6
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2020, 04:32:27 AM »
Google forced me to "log in" and now hit me up with this via e-mail:

Access was denied and the e-mail from Google says:  "is that not downloadable on your end?"

« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 04:36:43 AM by dactylus »
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2020, 04:36:08 AM »
From Google help:

Can’t open a Google file or folder

If a file won’t open, a few things could be wrong:

The file owner didn’t give you permission to view the file.
You're signed in to a different Google Account.
Your access could be denied because someone removed your permission to view the file.

Get permission to open a file
Open the file.
On the "You need permission" page, click Request access.
The owner of the file will get an email asking for approval. After they approve your request, you'll get an email.

If you need access right away
Contact the owner of the file and ask them to give you access.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2020, 01:05:49 PM »
Google forced me to "log in" and now hit me up with this via e-mail:

Access was denied and the e-mail from Google says:  "is that not downloadable on your end?"
That email was from me actually I uploaded it in the airport and it was goofy I was able to download it myself as a test (under my permissions), i might need to go back and redo
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2020, 01:52:32 PM »
^
Thanks!

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2020, 03:00:01 PM »
try now guys

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2020, 04:57:29 PM »
Looks like a solid comp...I'll give this a shot tonight.  Thanks for doing this!
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2020, 05:00:18 PM »
Looks like a solid comp...I'll give this a shot tonight.  Thanks for doing this!

it was sheer blind luck that we both were running 4011Cs into separate, relatively new pieces of gear, so we took advantage

i also ran 4011ER into the zoom, in a slightly tighter pattern

old and in the way has a shot of the mics , the two sets of 4011Cs were in an almost identical PAS config
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 05:28:51 PM by jerryfreak »

Offline heathen

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2020, 10:56:47 PM »
What's the deal with the two pairs of files (the educated guess files and the 2x2 files)?  I want to make sure I don't prematurely listen to something that might skew my results because I want to do this as blind as possible.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2020, 10:59:21 PM »
What's the deal with the two pairs of files (the educated guess files and the 2x2 files)?  I want to make sure I don't prematurely listen to something that might skew my results because I want to do this as blind as possible.

theres two sources for each song (and those are umphrey's song titles in case you weren't aware)

A and B sources may be the same between the two songs... or they may be different....

Offline heathen

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2020, 11:05:09 PM »

theres two sources for each song (and those are umphrey's song titles in case you weren't aware)

A and B sources may be the same between the two songs... or they may be different....

I'm an idiot.  Sorry!

Offline heathen

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2020, 11:40:52 PM »
I'm going to PM you my thoughts so as to not influence anyone who hasn't had a chance to listen yet. 

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2020, 12:03:06 PM »
First, thanks for taking the time and trouble to post this comp!

Second, I have some major caveats to note: I listened on my work computer, with a crappy sound card, using inexpensive in-ear headphones, and I only listened to 2 x 2. That being said, I was 16 for 16 using ABX comparator. After listening, I looked at the amplitude statistics and noted that sample A was ~ 1 dB average RMS louder than sample B (for Educated Guess, sample A was ~ 0.7 dB average RMS quieter). So I preferred A (for 2 x 2), which had better vocal clarity and high end definition, but that may have been affected by the volume difference. Also, my playback is kind of light in the bass range, so I would have had trouble hearing differences in that range.

Long and short: I would like to equalize the volume and listen on my nice cans, DAC and headphone amp and see if that changes my initial impression...

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2020, 12:46:39 PM »
The peaks were similar on both one just has very different dynamics than the other. I can normalize them to the same RMS.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2020, 02:26:53 PM »
Thanks for putting this up.  Will give a listen and post my impressions once I get a chance.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.096 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com