Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol R4 review  (Read 20604 times)

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
Re: Edirol R4 review
« Reply #60 on: February 04, 2006, 03:02:12 PM »

I don't the specifics of the R4. However, BWF is BWF. There are two versions a poly format (i.e. multiple tracks inside one file) and a mono format (i.e. one track per file). If you create a poly-BWF file, and your DAW software doesn't support it, you can download the BWF Manager software from Fostex <http://www.fostexdvd.net/fxdvd_route/docs/techsup/bwf_manager_1.htm> , which converts the poly file into individual tracks.

Wayne

Does anyone know of another bwf converter.  This one doesn't work for r4 files.
     Man... I had a tough night last night!  Board + stage mics > r4.  Opening band (Andrias Kapsalis Trio) I decide to go cards x/y center stage and split omni's for the main act (goran ivanovic group).  So to start I don't bring enough xlr... I had enother 300+ft at home, but was trying to keep my bag light and forgot 2 so I borrowed from the house!  Then for the opener I set my mics up in x/'y and forget to switch out the caps.  Anyone want a sample of omni x/y?  Then after the first set of Goaran, the drummer comes down and I'm professing my musical love to him when I dump 1/2  my full beer at his feet (Thanks for the beer Brian!),  then my batt is looking too low to make the 2nd set (thanks for the backup loaner brian!) THEN to top it off, in my brilliant attempt to record 4@mono, I record 1@4 in a bwf!  This converter that wayne reccomended doesn't work, my basic wavelab reads it as mono, and my multi program (traction2) doesn't read it at all.  Audacity is doing it but a one clic converter would be much better.
     Any help on another converter would be appreciated!  Oh... and BTW, the moral of the story is that I should never have more than 2 beers, I should just bring everything I own to every show, an the best advice to myself is possibly just stay home on Friday nights!  Just to let you know I was in good company though... mattD's "opening set" battery crapped out mid opener, and Brian... well, brian managed to handle all sets without a hitch!  Bastard!

Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline sleepypedro

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #61 on: February 05, 2006, 01:51:23 PM »
Audacity is doing it but a one clic converter would be much better.

just set the r4 properly to write two stereo pairs and you won't have a need for a one-click converter!   :P

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #62 on: February 05, 2006, 11:01:59 PM »
Audacity is doing it but a one clic converter would be much better.

just set the r4 properly to write two stereo pairs and you won't have a need for a one-click converter!   :P

actually I prefer 4 mono, and that is what I was going for... 2 stereo would have definately been better though! 

For the record:  Audacity does open the files and there is a way to save at 32bit float mono.  Just one great big extra step, that is all!

Matt
« Last Edit: February 05, 2006, 11:03:51 PM by mmatt »
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline marisa

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #63 on: April 27, 2008, 11:23:52 AM »
Hi all-
I'm looking to replace my Sony D10 DAT with an Edirol R4. I have a friend who insists that I need to go with the Pro, but in all my research, I can't see why. I don't need time code, or AES/EBU (that I know of) and sure, and 80G HD would be nice, but I think I can live with 40G. Doug's mod of the R4 is $1000, and of the pro is $2000. Can anyone out there make an argument for the pro? I want to run Nak 300s straight into the machine with no pre, possible/hopefully runing 3 or 4 mics. I'm pretty old school with my rig- I'm not much of a computer person, but have been able to learn what I need to know fairly easily. Nick's review of the R4 solidifies my research, but I just want to be sure that I'm not missing some awesome feature of the pro.
Thanks in advance,
Marisa

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #64 on: April 27, 2008, 02:09:15 PM »
I'd call doug. I think I've actually heard him say he prefers the sound of his modded R4 vs. his modded R4 Pro, but don't quote me on that, call him. If you don't need any of those other features, as a stock R4 owner, I think you'd be fine. The sens knobs on the pro vs. the mic/line switch on the R4 might be one difference worth noting. You've essentially got more adjustment on the pro in that regard (vs. a 20db pad that's either on/off on the R4), and you've got that control on a per-channel basis I think (on the R4 chans 1+2 and 3+4 are linked, so two chans padded or not at a time). Not sure about phantom either, but on the R4 phantom is linked for 1/2 and 3/4. On the R44, phantom is selectable individually on each channel, not sure about the Pro in that regard though.
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline spcyrfc

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Live from River City
    • BordersCrossing.net
« Reply #65 on: April 29, 2008, 12:50:11 PM »
if your not much of a computer person (and you dont need the software in the r4) you might want to consider the R-44.  the newer, smaller version of the R4.

mkh8040>aerco mp-2>pcmd-50
PFS: AKG 414xls

Record Local

www.borderscrossing.net

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.065 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com