Gear / Technical Help > Battery Boxes, Preamps, Mixers, ADCs, and Processors

Portable Pre-amp recommendation

(1/2) > >>

Leined:
Hi, everyone. I’m looking for a battery powered, stereo line-in preamp solution, and based on my reading, I feel that taperssection is the best place to look for help.

I’m currently running a Rode NT4 directly into a Sony PCM-A10 but have been having noise-issues at higher gain settings. I’ve temporarily remedied this using a Behringer UMC204HD as a standalone preamp (powered via a power bank) with its line-out into the Sony. As you can imagine, this is difficult to handle.

I would like to go for a more streamlined, portable solution. I’m looking at the CA 9200 but would like to know if there were any other options you’d recommend. I’m planning on moving to the SD Mix-pre3/6 ii, but that would be in the distant future.

Thanks so much!

voltronic:
Hello and welcome!

I'll cut right to the chase: Sell your A10 and buy a Tascam DR-100 mkIII. This will give you much better preamps, a better ADC, a set of safety tracks to use instead of limiters, and put everything you need into one small package without needing external power.

After making that switch, your recorder will likely not need an upgrade unless you want to record more than 2 channels. Until then, the next upgrade that you will likely make is to your mics.

The DR-100 mkIII is discontinued, so if you can't get it at the Amazon link above, you could buy a Tascam DR40X or Zoom H5 instead. The DR-1000 mkIII is definitely my first recommendation though, for the higher-level preamps and ADC.

The CA 9200 is not a solution for you, as it only gives your mics 9V power, and the type you are using will only perform their best with 48V. It also has you still using 2 boxes.

rocksuitcase:
Also welcome from e,
voltronic has a good solid suggestion. I am completely unfamiliar with the A-10, so am not aware if it has digi in.

Just to go with the OP question, the most basic, lower priced options many folks on this site have used are a Shure FP24 or a SD MixPre/MixPreD. (the D if you have digi in)

Leined:

--- Quote from: voltronic on June 25, 2021, 08:09:36 AM ---Hello and welcome!

I'll cut right to the chase: Sell your A10 and buy a Tascam DR-100 mkIII. This will give you much better preamps, a better ADC, a set of safety tracks to use instead of limiters, and put everything you need into one small package without needing external power.

After making that switch, your recorder will likely not need an upgrade unless you want to record more than 2 channels. Until then, the next upgrade that you will likely make is to your mics.

The DR-100 mkIII is discontinued, so if you can't get it at the Amazon link above, you could buy a Tascam DR40X or Zoom H5 instead. The DR-1000 mkIII is definitely my first recommendation though, for the higher-level preamps and ADC.

The CA 9200 is not a solution for you, as it only gives your mics 9V power, and the type you are using will only perform their best with 48V. It also has you still using 2 boxes.

--- End quote ---

Thanks for the warm welcome and succinct answer. I feel you're right. The DR100 mkIII might be my best option as a stop gap before eventually jumping to a Mixpre.

Leined:

--- Quote from: rocksuitcase on June 25, 2021, 02:06:01 PM ---Also welcome from e,
voltronic has a good solid suggestion. I am completely unfamiliar with the A-10, so am not aware if it has digi in.

Just to go with the OP question, the most basic, lower priced options many folks on this site have used are a Shure FP24 or a SD MixPre/MixPreD. (the D if you have digi in)

--- End quote ---

Thank you as well for the welcome! The A-10, unfortunately, doesn't have a digi in -- just the 1/8" unbalanced input. I'll look into those options you mentioned!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version