Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Need advice on Set up  (Read 1907 times)

Offline clarwee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Need advice on Set up
« on: January 19, 2007, 11:10:38 PM »
Hello!

I recently purchased a Sony MZ-NH600. It doesn't come with a Mic-In (sucks anyway right?) so I have to turn to Line-In.
I have a Sennheiser e835s and would like to record through that.

So, what do I need to do to record via this set-up?

Any help would be useful.

Thanks!

cheers

Offline jesse

• Taperssection Member
  • Listen to more Miles!
Re: Need advice on Set up
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 04:26:08 PM »
You should get a better recording through the line in because it bypass the built in pre.  You will either need to get in inline pre that boosts the signal or boost the signal in post.  The dude from church audio makes a very affordable preamp that would do the trick.  I'm not at all fimiliar with you're mic.  What connects does it have mini plug, XLR?  Does it run off phantom power or does it take batterys?
SP C4's>UA-5>D100

Life is hard. I only have a vauge recollection of when it wasn't kicking my ass.

Offline clarwee

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2007, 10:47:41 AM »
Ahh, it comes in a mini plug with a screw on XLR adapter. I have yet to try recording directly through the line in as I ran out of MDs. It runs off phantom power. So I believe I do need a battery box to supply the power?

Offline jesse

• Taperssection Member
  • Listen to more Miles!
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2007, 03:36:04 PM »
You will need something to power you're mic if it runs off Phantom power.  Is you're mini disc HI-MD or one of the old ones.  The problem with the mic in on you're MD is that it runs through a shitty built in pre before it writes all those little 1 and 0s.  If you go line in it bypasses the built in pre and just writes the music on the disc.  The problem w/ line in is that the signal dosn't run as hot a the mic in and usually needs to be boosted.( either by a in line preamp((alot of time pres come with phantom power)) to make the mic more sensitive and thus boost the signal, or by post editing on a computer program such a cool edit or sound forge)  What kind of taping will you be doing with you're rig open, or stealth?
SP C4's>UA-5>D100

Life is hard. I only have a vauge recollection of when it wasn't kicking my ass.

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2007, 08:42:20 AM »
You can get a cheap preamp made by rolls to do the job. I dont make any preamps for low impedence mics. They can be had for as little as $50.00 on eBay.

for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.058 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com