Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR100mkii Review  (Read 135059 times)

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
Re: Tascam DR100mkii Review
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2011, 09:29:50 PM »
I keep hearing a little voice in my head:   "Come back to Team Tascam, Dan.  Come back................."    :o

+T Steve.  Great job on the review.  This thing is so tempting.  Tiny and versatile. 

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2011, 10:17:00 PM »
To be fair, the manual says it's SPDIF only.

I missed that.  Thanks for the feedback Richard.  I'll update the review then based on that information. 

EDIT:  Review updated per your feedback Richard, thanks again.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 10:27:52 PM by tonedeaf »

stevetoney

« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2011, 10:22:57 PM »
3 hrs, 15 minutes on a pair of AA energizers. 

Backlight off, internal directional mics, 24/48, low cut and the filters off, of course.

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2011, 10:28:16 PM »
I got delivery of my DR100mkii today, and wanted to report that it works with an AC adapter I originally bought on eBay for my Tascam DR-07 for about $6.00.

If you search PS-P520 on eBay, a bunch of them come up from different retailers.

It looks like this:

"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

stevetoney

« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2011, 10:29:55 PM »
To everyone giving kudo's for the review, I'm just having a shitload of fun doing this.  :)  It's the first time I've ever done something like this and it's a blast...right up my alley of being a slutty muddyfugger.

stevetoney

« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2011, 10:32:31 PM »
I got delivery of my DR100mkii today, and wanted to report that it works with an AC adapter I originally bought on eBay for my Tascam DR-07 for about $6.00.

If you search PS-P520 on eBay, a bunch of them come up from different retailers.

It looks like this:

Nice.  The more detailed specs in case you can't get this specific adapter would be 5V, B tip, tip positive. 

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2011, 10:54:50 PM »
Lithium battery model #  Tascam BP-L2  priced anywhere between $34 - $46.    I've seen Chinese knockoffs of these batteries floating around the 'net too

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/579083-REG/Tascam_BP_L2_BP_L2_Battery_Pack_for.html

Tascam also made an AA battery pack to work with the 100.  It should work with the mkii no problem.  You can find cheaper versions on eBay.  I bought a 4 cell AA box for $8.00 shipped a few years ago.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/826148-REG/Tascam_BP_6AA_BP_6AA_External_Battery_Pack.html
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 11:10:47 PM by spyder9 »

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2011, 11:05:19 PM »
I know that the Li-ion battery will charge from a USB connection. Can you power the unit itself from a USB connection?

Nope.  Explanation and photo added.  Basically it's just like other recorders...once you connect the USB to the PC, it acts like a separate drive for downloading files from the recorder but recorder functionality is disabled.

Not true Steve.  There is a work around.  Press Record first, THEN plug in the external USB battery pack.  You'll continue to record while charging the Lithium on the fly.  No "USB Connect" screen.  I perfected this at Wanee a few years ago with my DR-1, which runs the same battery.   A simple cheapo USB AA battery pack had that puppy running 11 hours.  Hot swapping made easy.  NOTE:  if you Stop your recording, the "USB Connect" screen will come up, but no fears, your recording will be saved.

Give it a try Steve when you get a chance.  Thanks again.  :) 
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 12:40:36 AM by spyder9 »

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2011, 12:02:03 AM »
How'd you figure that one out?  :o
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2011, 12:39:31 AM »
How'd you figure that one out?  :o

By accident.    :angel:
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 12:41:24 AM by spyder9 »

Offline jbou

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2011, 02:45:42 AM »
Not true Steve.  There is a work around.  Press Record first, THEN plug in the external USB battery pack.  You'll continue to record while charging the Lithium on the fly.  No "USB Connect" screen.  I perfected this at Wanee a few years ago with my DR-1, which runs the same battery.   A simple cheapo USB AA battery pack had that puppy running 11 hours.  Hot swapping made easy.  NOTE:  if you Stop your recording, the "USB Connect" screen will come up, but no fears, your recording will be saved.

Does this charge the Lithium and power the unit?

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2011, 10:02:33 AM »

Does this charge the Lithium and power the unit?

YES!   ;D

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2011, 10:42:35 AM »
3 hrs, 15 minutes on a pair of AA energizers. 

Backlight off, internal directional mics, 24/48, low cut and the filters off, of course.

Cool. Thanks.   Wonder how that might improve with lithiums, and also p48 on.

Looking forward to learning more about the pre-amp stage performance at low rock gains, and higher gain settings.... And the unbal and balanced line-in performance.

And to think I finally broke down and bought an m10 less than three months ago!

stevetoney

« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2011, 12:56:07 PM »
4hr, 20 minutes to charge the Li-ion through the USB cable from dead until the light goes out.  (Great for hippy tapers.)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 01:07:04 PM by tonedeaf »

Offline ero3030

• Trade Count: (59)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2011, 09:19:56 PM »
^^^^^^ big hippy, dont let him fool ya!!!
needin some fishhead music!

" known for f**king up a good weekend on a Thursday nite "

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.082 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com