Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: TASCAM DR-100mkIII NEW Unreleased Recorder  (Read 115046 times)

Offline MVCG-17002

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: TASCAM DR-100mkIII NEW Unreleased Recorder
« Reply #225 on: October 22, 2018, 09:06:28 PM »
Thanks guys. Seems like even with all the new tech in there it's still not fire and forget... I'll check out your suggestions for the settings and keep an eye on the levels while recording.

Won't get rid of the Tascam or the XLR plugs. I got it not only for going stealth bit I need it for other stuff aswell.
Going stealth with the Tascam is not an issue for me. I have taped a lot of shows using my Sony TCD-D8 back in the day, and size was never an issue. We also don't have crazy security here in Berlin.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 09:12:18 PM by MVCG-17002 »

Offline Sebastian

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #226 on: October 23, 2018, 01:45:07 AM »
We also don't have crazy security here in Berlin.

...except for Mercedes-Benz-Arena and Verti Music Hall. ;-)

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #227 on: May 04, 2019, 05:25:56 AM »
I got a 512gb microsdxc card for my A10 and decided to try it in the mkiii for shits and giggles. It wont accept it. is there a workaround to format it in on a PC using one of the SD card formatting tools?
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #228 on: November 15, 2019, 11:05:15 AM »
I need some help determining if the DR-100mkIII line-in input actually bypasses the mic inputs.

Attached is part of the block diagram for the recorder. There is a signal path from the TRS input that ends with a box labelled "165".

This path does NOT go through the mic preamp. Anyone know what this means?

I've also attached the entire block diagram.

Thanks in advance.
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #229 on: November 15, 2019, 11:50:36 AM »
Yes, the TRS's do go through the Mic Preamps.  You're reading the diagram wrong.

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #230 on: November 15, 2019, 11:58:26 AM »
Yes, the TRS's do go through the Mic Preamps.  You're reading the diagram wrong.

Thanks. Any idea what the box labelled “165” refers to? It’s at the end of the path labelled “TRS 1 DET”.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 12:01:49 PM by dogmusic »
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #231 on: November 15, 2019, 12:51:00 PM »
Both TRS and XLR inputs share the same signal path.  If the diagram is correct (there is at least one obvious mistake on it), the XLR input signals actually go through the TRS contact switches before reaching the preamp chip, meaning that inserting a TRS plug breaks the connections from the XLR jack.  Not sure why they'd wire it that way, but you'll be well advised to keep the TRS portion of the combo jacks clean because of that.

TRS 1 DET (and TRS 2 DET) seem likely to indicate TRS insert detection switch lines.  Probably used to switch input gain from line to mic level if that's done automatically by which input is used rather than by the user. The 165 box is not a component but a connection flag which indicates that signal connection to another diagram or another point on this one.

I need some help determining if the DR-100mkIII line-in input actually bypasses the mic inputs.

Why?
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #232 on: November 15, 2019, 02:16:36 PM »
Both TRS and XLR inputs share the same signal path.  If the diagram is correct (there is at least one obvious mistake on it), the XLR input signals actually go through the TRS contact switches before reaching the preamp chip, meaning that inserting a TRS plug breaks the connections from the XLR jack.  Not sure why they'd wire it that way, but you'll be well advised to keep the TRS portion of the combo jacks clean because of that.

TRS 1 DET (and TRS 2 DET) seem likely to indicate TRS insert detection switch lines.  Probably used to switch input gain from line to mic level if that's done automatically by which input is used rather than by the user. The 165 box is not a component but a connection flag which indicates that signal connection to another diagram or another point on this one.

Why?

Thanks for that detailed explanation.

Why? Because I want to plug an external preamp into the DR-100mkiii line input and I was hoping it would be wired like the Tascam DR680 and therefore could bypass the mic preamps.

(I meant to say “I need some help determining if the DR-100mkIII line-in input actually bypasses the mic preamps.”)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 02:23:51 PM by dogmusic »

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #233 on: November 15, 2019, 05:35:47 PM »
I'm not sure DR680 line-in bypasses the mic preamps.  Many modern recorders do not, they just reduce the gain of the preamp stage to line-input level.  But that doesn't mean you can't use an external preamp if you like.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #234 on: November 15, 2019, 11:06:34 PM »
Here's the block diagram from the DR680 manual. Perhaps I'm reading it wrong. I don't know much about these things.

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #235 on: November 17, 2019, 08:51:42 AM »
If you want to bypass the Tascam DR-100 mkii's mic preamps, then use the 3.5mm Line-In.  It's located on the top of the unit, labeled "Ext-In".

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #236 on: November 17, 2019, 10:03:43 AM »
If you want to bypass the Tascam DR-100 mkii's mic preamps, then use the 3.5mm Line-In.  It's located on the top of the unit, labeled "Ext-In".

Thanks. I thought of doing that, but figured going into the TRS input would be better quality.

(I was coming out of a Sound Devices 302 with XLR>TRS cables.)

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #237 on: November 17, 2019, 10:45:28 AM »
depends. if your output is balanced id think the xlrs would be the way to go.

also as far as  "quality" goes, that conversation is out the window when your minijack connection fritzes out during a recording
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #238 on: November 17, 2019, 12:27:54 PM »
depends. if your output is balanced id think the xlrs would be the way to go.

also as far as  "quality" goes, that conversation is out the window when your minijack connection fritzes out during a recording

The 302 does also have an unbalanced output, but as you point out, the recorder’s minijack is not a robust connection.

Do you ever put a preamp in front of your DR100mkiii?

Offline mepaca

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
  • taperssection member
« Reply #239 on: November 17, 2019, 12:33:13 PM »
If the trs line levels go through the preamps then why can't the gain be adjusted by using the gain knob? I'm not arguing the the point, just curious.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.093 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com