Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: problem w/manfrotto rapid adapter...anybody else?  (Read 3116 times)

Offline litmus

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • big microscope: live music and liberal rants
problem w/manfrotto rapid adapter...anybody else?
« on: May 18, 2009, 05:05:23 PM »
just had an unfortunate experience with b and h pro audio...they shipped two AKG 5/8" thread Female to 3/8" Male adapters instead of AKG 3/8" Female to 5/8" Male Thread Adapters (the order was correct and bags were labeled correctly...just the wrong parts inside).

but on top of that, the rapid adapter i received seems like it's machined incorrectly. when i place it on top of the 5/8" stud on my amvona dynatran AS-303, the tightening screw doesn't position completely under the lip of the stud (as i assume it should). instead, the top part of the manfrotto screw hits right on the stud lip, so if i were to tighten it, it would erode the lip.

has anyone ever had this issue before with this adapter and/or stand? is there a better solution? i've pored through all of the forums and even posted an earlier inquiry about best possible combo of things for open taping with my new church rig. this adapter seemed to be the consensus choice. wonder if i just got a full box of bum parts...

link to the rapid adapter:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/546490-REG/Manfrotto_by_Bogen_Imaging_014_38_014_38_Rapid_Adapter_.html

Offline EarlyMorningRain

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: problem w/manfrotto rapid adapter...anybody else?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 05:46:04 PM »
how about a picture of the top part (stud) of that stand? I can't think of anything off hand other than something is wrong with the hardware you received.....

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 05:49:19 PM »
has anyone ever had this issue before with this adapter and/or stand? is there a better solution? i've pored through all of the forums and even posted an earlier inquiry about best possible combo of things for open taping with my new church rig. this adapter seemed to be the consensus choice. wonder if i just got a full box of bum parts...

I would just return it to B&H.  I've gotten a wrong item before but if you let them know it was their error they ought to cover shipping, they're pretty good about stuff like that.  I got my rapid adapter from B&H and thinking about getting another one for multiple setups. 

Offline litmus

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 07:33:38 PM »
i'll snap a photo tonight of the stand top with the 5/8" baby stud..can't seem to find any close-ups of it on the web.

and yes, B & H has been great so far. i got the RMA seconds after making a call this AM and got the UPS return label about an hour ago. just frustrating to go 0 for 3 on small parts. i told the customer service rep to make a note to have them check the warehouse inventory because i'm guessing someone just put all of the wrong parts in the wrong bags for the adapters.

if the replacement adapter has the same issue, though, i'm going to be searching for something similar with a lowered machined screw hole...

Offline litmus

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 02:01:56 AM »
how about a picture of the top part (stud) of that stand? I can't think of anything off hand other than something is wrong with the hardware you received.....

two photos: the first shows one side of the top of the stand, clean. the other shows where i tried to attach the rapid adapter (since returned to B & H). you can see the indentations where the tightening screw was aligned with the lip of the stud. that can't possibly be how it should work...but i've never owned a professional lighting stand before.

Offline Teen Wolf Blitzer

• It's all ballbearings these days.
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • I am Rattus Norvegicus.
    • Support Festival Radio
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 02:54:07 AM »
Hmm.  Not sure what that tip is but it's certainly not the standard stud.  The rapid adapter is designed for studs that look like this...

Offline EarlyMorningRain

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 09:52:40 AM »
Hmm.  Not sure what that tip is but it's certainly not the standard stud.  The rapid adapter is designed for studs that look like this...

I've got an Amvona stand, possibly the same model# you have, however the rapid adapter I bought (from B&H, and I bought two while I was at it) works just as it's supposed to.

I'll double check mine tonight at home but I know for sure it doesn't hit that lip area at all when I tighten down that screw/wing nut thing
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 10:27:10 AM by norma023 »

Offline EarlyMorningRain

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2009, 10:00:23 AM »
oh, grabbed this picture from a different thread, but here is a close up of the Rapid Adaptor

Offline edtyre

• Trade Count: (85)
  • Team Philly " No Excuses, Just Tapes"
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2009, 10:26:00 AM »
Get out the grinding wheel and trim it down a bit.
music>mics>pre>recorder

Offline litmus

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2009, 02:38:45 PM »
Get out the grinding wheel and trim it down a bit.

a fine idea. though i'll have to find a friend with one, given my tool supply peaks at a mikita drill. is that top stud an uncommon piece? the lip on that sucker seems awfully shallow.

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2009, 09:08:29 PM »
that is a weird top stud- most are brass, either threaded or not.

you can get a grinding wheel for a drill for under $10
and clamp your drill to a work bench- with  one of those Irwin Quick grip (bar clamp style)
and your are ready to grind away

or check out harbor freight
 for some cheap china knock off

and add some DIY tools to your kit
peace
-- Ian
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

Offline EarlyMorningRain

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2009, 10:32:17 AM »
ok, guess my rapid adaptor hits that lip just like yours is doing. However the adaptor itself sits on there as designed though??

Offline litmus

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2009, 07:05:48 PM »
ok, guess my rapid adaptor hits that lip just like yours is doing. However the adaptor itself sits on there as designed though??

i suppose so...i think my 'replacement' part arrived at home today, so i'll try again. just seems odd that there hasn't been more discussion about this particular stud top, given i've seen many mentions of amvona/dynatran stands in the forums here. edtyre's suggestion about machining the thing down a bit seems like a good one, but i'm thinking there has to be a part specific to adapting studs like this one. then again, maybe not. i just don't want to keep cranking that thing down and compromising the lip of the stud; that metal seems pretty soft.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.061 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com